Sign in to follow this  
pingaan

Cat/caster hybrid DPS

Hey, 

I've been surfing the interwebz for a while now, but I can't find anything to confirm my question.

I feel a bear as off tank is nice to have around, because of rebirth and innervate, but for the encounters where only tanks are needed that person would go cat. 

From what I can read cat DPS is a waste of a spot, in general, but using some sort of hybrid DPS specc is not mentioned anywhere.

A friend of mine spoke of this a few weeks ago, as a suggestion to what that bear would do when not tanking. Sorry, but I've never played druid myself, so I might be a bit out of shape on the abilities.

DPS: 

1. Starting in cat form, using up the most energy consuming dmg abilities to get the most dmg outcome.

2. Shift to caster form and cast wrath + moonfire, or what ever is suited to fit the time it takes for the energy bar to be fill up. 

3. Jump back into cat form and repeat.

This would of course be very mana consuming, which would mean popping mana pots and runes on CD. If this were to be viable DPS this would mean some sort of hybrid gear similar to the Warlord/Marshal set, right?

Has anyone here tried this out?

Google Powershifting. Spellcasts between form shifting will otherwise lower your DPS because you're limiting the number of powershifts you can do before you go OOM (that and you have no spell damage to speak of if you're geared for catform DPS).

The goal should be to maximize tank time. Feral dps is decent at MC level, good at BWL level, okay at AQ level, and bad at Naxx level. Tanking will always be useful if you can find a place and get the odd assortment of gear you need to make it work.

Cat druid only bad if you are horde. It should do fairly well as alliance as horde has windfury. Of course powershifting needs to be on point but overall it has the capability to be fairly competitive for the most part. Well except for those fights where the Rogue or warrior gets lucky weapon procs.