Sign in to follow this  
Zendruid

Feral 5man tanking

Hey! I recently started a new druid. I'm currently level 18, and ready to start my first dungeon runs through Deadmines. I'm planning on focusing solely on Feral until level 60 at least (my guild is aiming for future raiding, and I've been given persmission to be a feral off-tank at 60 if I wish). I'm not sure if I'll even bother collecting healing gear, as I should have no problem finding groups if I can fill either the DPS or tanking spot as feral (and I need money for my mount, so might as well sell any int/spir gear I find).

I have only tanked a tiny bit as feral before (one run through Stockades), and I found it pretty easy compared to Warriors. Basically I would just pull with Moonfire/Faerie Fire (it was before I had Faerie Fire (Feral)), shift to Bear form, and use Maul to keep aggro. On multiple mobs I'd use Swipe for AoE threat, and Demo roar for damage mitigation. Always keeping Thorns on myself. This way I rarely lost aggro of any mobs, and if I did early in a fight due to a premature heal, I'd just pick the loose mob up with Growl. I'd also sometimes pop a Rejuvination on myself just for some extra AoE threat. I found it to be a lot of fun and very simple, and in 5mans I actually prefered it to Warrior tanking. Hardly any tab-targeting to keep aggro on multiple mobs.

For gear I'm priorotizing items with Stamina > Strength > Agility > Armor.

I just made this thread as a place to discuss Feral tanking. I feel it should be more commonly used in 5mans, as I have rarely been in dungeons with bear tanks (mostly druids I have played with have been healers or cat dps). I'd greatly appreciate any advice from people with experience :) I want to perform as well as I can, as I hate letting down a dungeon group by causing a whipe!

You will be healing at least a little. If you don't want to heal/rebirth/innervate but want to tank you should roll a warrior, so collect a healing set and be a druid, which is to be flexible.

I like druid tanks over warrior tanks while leveling as they usually have the bear threat/cat stealth talents and hold better threat. Crushing blows and threat issues aren't a problem while leveling, and druids bring more to a dungeon as a tank versus a warrior. And of course you will always find groups as a tank. My druid is in the mid 50s and I've always used him as a tank in dungeons. Occasionally I would heal instead and I can only remember once I was asked to DPS.

12 minutes ago, Spaztick said:

You will be healing at least a little. If you don't want to heal/rebirth/innervate but want to tank you should roll a warrior, so collect a healing set and be a druid, which is to be flexible.

I like druid tanks over warrior tanks while leveling as they usually have the bear threat/cat stealth talents and hold better threat. Crushing blows and threat issues aren't a problem while leveling, and druids bring more to a dungeon as a tank versus a warrior. And of course you will always find groups as a tank. My druid is in the mid 50s and I've always used him as a tank in dungeons. Occasionally I would heal instead and I can only remember once I was asked to DPS.

Yeah, I am fully open to healing at level 60! It's just nice to have a guild that is willing to let me try tanking too. Will most likely go resto once I'm 60 or in my late 50s. While leveling, however, I probably won't collect a healing set. As a tank I should be fine to find dungeons.

Yeah your point about the threat talent is good. Most warrior tanks are specced as Fury or Arms while leveling, and lack any increased threat talents. This is probably one of the main reasons why I find it so easy to keep aggro on multiple mobs in instances. Many AoE threat abilities as well as a 15% threat increase from talents is awesome.

A 30/21 feral resto build will let u tank, dps, or heal just about anything. I don’t know that you need to “collect” a healing set (until later levels) - just pick up stuff as you level from quests/dungeon drops and you should be good. Personally I went 13 feral, 13 resto, back to feral to HOTW, then back to resto to NS.  Some of those early resto talents are actually crucial to a feral (furor, imp enrage).

For tanking, your stat priority is off.  Bear stat priority is Armor>Stam>Agi>Str (dodge and defense help too but that is for main stats). While leveling though I found it best to just try to keep stam str and agi as balanced as I could - then you can swap bear/car pretty easily. Str seemed to be the most challenging to keep up. Armor will sort of take care of itself as your gear upgrades while you level, but at or close to 60 there are several key pieces you should try to acquire quickly (check the BIS post in this forum). 

Demoralizing roar is more than damage mitigation btw - it lets you get threat on a larger group of enemies quickly. Costs less rage, affects more than 3 targets, and they don’t all need to be in a frontal arch.  No it’s not a “hard threat” generator, but it can rapidly put the mobs’ attention on you, then you can build “hard threat” to keep it that way.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:41 AM, Zendruid said:

Basically I would just pull with Moonfire/Faerie Fire (it was before I had Faerie Fire (Feral)), shift to Bear form, and use Maul to keep aggro. On multiple mobs I'd use Swipe for AoE threat

Use Wrath to pull, dude. It takes time for a wrath ball to get to the mobs, you can do a lot of things in this time. For example, if you are pulling a range attacking mob, you can run out of his range attack distance and mob after being hit will instantly start to run toward you, he will not start casting 3 sec cast staying in his place. The other useful thing you can do is to cast Rejuvenation on yourself before shifting to a bear. And this is a wonderful thing, when you need to get an aggro on a pack of mobs.

I use Faerie FIre only when I have 20-30 rage in Bear Form and don't want to lose it. Or if I have no mana to pull with casting and then turn to a bear, and the pull doesn't seem hard

When I suspect that I might run into troubles with an aggro at pull time, I do the following sequence: Regrowth, Wrath, Rejuvenation, Bear. When you heal yourself or other party member, all your heals make "AoE" threat, you make threat to every mob in combat. It is a great thing. I use it constantly with my warrior by drinking pots, I use it with druid by HoTs. The best is to heal with HoTs youself, because it'd mean that healer needs to heal less at pull time, to start to heal a little later, it means more time to make an aggro. Though you can heal and other party members too, just cast rejuvenation on them (if they have less than 100% HP, overhealing doesn't make any threat).