snes

Normal realm in TBC?

I'm delighted to see TBC up and running, and very grateful to the good people who put in the hard work.

I'm also quietly pleased that I have managed to load the client and am able to log in - thought I might have a few problems there!

But when I try to log in, the game style I have selected is Normal. The chosen server for me is given as Nighthaven (which is surely for the Classic Wow?)

So I select the change realm option under "Development" and see Stormrage recommended for me. So far so good!

But, all the realms are PvP - and I am very much a PvE player. Does this mean that TBC will only be available for PvP players? All I want to do is quest and battle monsters, not other players.

Have I misunderstood something here - can anyone put me straight?

Many thanks!!

We have tried normal/PVE realms in the past, but they never get populated enough to be playable. We are unlikely to attempt any further PVE realms in the future.

Oh dear!

Is it possible to play in a PvP realm as a normal player, or will I keep getting attacked by other players?

I always thought that with Blizzard, the vast majority of gamers were PvE, with PvP being a minority - was that wrong? Or do you just get a more hardcore gamer on here?

10 minutes ago, snes said:

Is it possible to play in a PvP realm as a normal player, or will I keep getting attacked by other players?

No, and it's logical on a game named "World of Warcraft". If you want to be relatively safe, play in group of 2-3 players, most people are too fearful to attack a group.

You are going to get killed most likely. It's just part of the game to be honest.

it's a shame really, i'd love pve server as i hate pvp, especially there is a horde character on stormgarde called Craphuntard who just loooooves to "gank" people with low HP or in combat and unable to fight back, obsessively, to a point I was about to quit, since he was using all means necessary to ruin my gameplay. Even 2 days ago, he was hiding up a tower in area 52 in netherstorm and shooting down people, thus avoiding to be chased/killed by guards since he was out of their range. That guy needs a spanking...

Such a disappointment, especially as the Classic server was for Normal play!

To me, the essence of WoW is questing and dungeons, which can be enjoyed as a solo player or in a group.

Frankly, if I wanted to play a game where the main aim seems to be to fight everyone else, I could sign up for Fortnite.

What a wasted opportunity!

I know that in PvE you can flag yourself for PvP - didn't realise it also worked the other way round.

Many thanks for that if true - before I log in and build a character, can anyone verify what lemmingstab claims?

I live in hope...

You cannot unflag from PVP on a PVP server. That function is for PVE servers.

I will offer up a slightly different opinion from others in this thread- from the perspective of someone who also has no interest in PVP. In my experience so far on playing on private servers, and also on retail WoW PVP servers, although there is always the possibility of being killed, *for the vast majority of the time you spend playing*, if you are not seeking out PvP experiences, the questing/dungeoning experience is the same. You get the occasional random kill, very occasional annoying guy who keeps finding and killing you, but honestly... especially since it's not like the server is OVER populated.... it's not that different. It isn't as if there is constant attacks on you and constant corpse camping. Just thought you should know that you shouldn't get the wrong idea. When I finally started giving PvP servers a try, I was really pleasantly surprised at the experience. I basically think of enemy-faction players as another kind of hostile mob that might show up or something. In my experience, I stay relatively unbothered.

Thanks to all who responded! Bunnydragon - wise words, I'll give it a try!

Well, I've given it a brief try - too little to be certain that bunnydragon is correct in what he says, but it does look that way. Any other players (and there aren't many!) I tend to steer clear of. Perhaps they also are PvE players who are trying their best to enjoy their quest based gaming.

Bunnydragon - supposing I do get another player trying to fight me, what is the best thing to do? Just stand still till I am killed or log out of the game? Any advice welcome!

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, snes said:

Well, I've given it a brief try - too little to be certain that bunnydragon is correct in what he says, but it does look that way. Any other players (and there aren't many!) I tend to steer clear of. Perhaps they also are PvE players who are trying their best to enjoy their quest based gaming.

Bunnydragon - supposing I do get another player trying to fight me, what is the best thing to do? Just stand still till I am killed or log out of the game? Any advice welcome!

Thanks again!

hm, to be honest I never really thought to just quickly log out- that might work in some cases. I usually just let them kill me, or if they're close to my level I try and put up a fight haha.

Its been discussed by the team in the past - I don't think a PVE token is going to happen.