Sign in to follow this  
killerduki

Hints and Tips for leveling (Killerduki's view)

Hello Everyone , until now in Elysium currently Paladins was working i must admit nearly pure vanilla blizzlike so Deep Retri was fastest way to go leveling.

Apparently with Nostalrius core, Protection Paladin have some nice boost because of certain beneficial bugged abilities such as Consecration.

Anyway all those things might/will be/probably will get fixed soon , i will just give you tip about "Pure Blizzlike" way of leveling and many options for you .

I hope this might help you :

- Protection Paladin is currently the slowest leveling, most challenging leveling but also one of the most fun spec to play.

You will find easy Dungeon Groups as Protection Paladin , slow leveling thru quests and avoid much as possible PVP.

- Holy Paladin is currently in the middle for leveling and i must admit for myself a little boring.

You can get in dungeon groups but not as fast as Tank , you can do descent questing and do some PVP.

- Retribution Paladin is currently the fastest , fun to play and enjoyable when it comes a part for PVP.

You can't expect much invitations in dungeons "unless" you see "Killerduki's Tankadin run" for it , leveling up thru questing is very fast and enjoyable , PVP is something that you will love so much while leveling and descent.

All in all , when you hit level 60 stuffs will start changing .

Hope this gave you nice choices from my point of view.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

do you have a play-by-play for best talents to choose for ret tree?

also, is there a good weapon guide as you level?

EDIT: I've only ever leveled as prot, any basic tips for leveling as ret that should be obvious but are obviously not obvious to me? XD

Edited by mrcer

On 8.11.2016 at 9:59 AM, mrcer said:

do you have a play-by-play for best talents to choose for ret tree?

also, is there a good weapon guide as you level?

Here is my step by step Retribution Talents while Leveling point of view:

(i would personally use Blessing of Wisdom instead Might so i can regenerate nice portion of Mana and do quite nice DPS thru Judgements max rank and procs by Weapons).

Benediction 5/5

Improved Seal of the Crusader 3/3

Judgement 2/2

Seal of Command 1/1

Pursuit of Justice 2/2

Conviction 5/5

Improved Blessing of Might 2/5

Sanctity Aura 1/1

Two-Handed Weapon Specialization 3/3

Improved Blessing of Might 3/5

Vengeance 5/5

Divine Strength 5/5

Divine Intellect 5/5

Consecration 1/1

Redoubt 5/5

Precision 3/3

Improved Blessing of Might 5/5

Weapons :

- Start with any Green 2h Mace or Sword while Questing until you hit level 16+

- Go for The Deadmines and try to get Smite's Mighty Hammer

- Run later to Ashenvale and start doing the Chain Quest "Raene's Cleansing"

- When you are done with the Chain Quest "Raene's Cleansing" you get "Glacial Stone" (in my opinion is stronger than Verigan Fist because you can proc it thru Seal of Command and Judgement of Command).

- Later try to get group for Gnomeregan if it is possible and pick "Manual Crowd Pummeler" , it is good in combination with Judgement of the Crusader and Seal of Righteousness.

- When ready try to get group for Scarlet Monastery and chase "Ravager" from Armory , (it suppose to proc from Seal and Judgement of Command and also should refresh Judgement of the Crusader while Whirlwind).

- If possible when you hit level 48+ try to get group and pick "Smoldering Claw" from Sunken Temple because it is unlikely anyone to go for it and Proc from Seal/Judge of Command/Righteousness, despite the weapon speed it will increase the DPS from procs.

Well for level 55+ there are many options so i will skip this part personally about Weapons ;)

(this is just my personal point of view only , there are still many different options and choices).

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

I would recommend getting Corpsemaker from RFK at 29, which will last you til Bonebiter from In the Name of the Light which I would argue is better than Ravager, then The Rockpounder or Stoneslayer from uldaman at 44, which will last you til high 50's.

Here is my step by step Retribution Talents while Leveling point of view:

(i would personally use Blessing of Wisdom instead Might so i can regenerate nice portion of Mana and do quite nice DPS thru Judgements max rank and procs by Weapons).

Benediction 5/5

Improved Seal of the Crusader 3/3

Judgement 2/2

Seal of Command 1/1

Pursuit of Justice 2/2

Conviction 5/5

Improved Blessing of Might 2/5

Sanctity Aura 1/1

Two-Handed Weapon Specialization 3/3

Improved Blessing of Might 3/5

Vengeance 5/5

Divine Strength 5/5

Divine Intellect 5/5

Consecration 1/1

Redoubt 5/5

Precision 3/3

Improved Blessing of Might 5/5

Weapons :

- Start with any Green 2h Mace or Sword while Questing until you hit level 16+

- Go for The Deadmines and try to get Smite's Mighty Hammer

- Run later to Ashenvale and start doing the Chain Quest "Raene's Cleansing"

- When you are done with the Chain Quest "Raene's Cleansing" you get "Glacial Stone" (in my opinion is stronger than Verigan Fist because you can proc it thru Seal of Command and Judgement of Command).

- Later try to get group for Gnomeregan if it is possible and pick "Manual Crowd Pummeler" , it is good in combination with Seal of the Crusader.

- When ready try to get group for Scarlet Monastery and chase "Ravager" from Armory , (it suppose to proc from Seal and Judgement of Command and also should refresh Judgement of the Crusader while Whirlwind).

- If possible when you hit level 48+ try to get group and pick "Smoldering Claw" from Sunken Temple because it is unlikely anyone to go for it and Proc from Seal/Judge of Command, despite the weapon speed it will increase the DPS from procs.

Well for level 55+ there are many options so i will skip this part personally about Weapons ;)

(this is just my personal point of view only , there are still many different options and choices).

/Kind regards Killerduki

Woo great list :) would love a similar list for important 1h and shield to get while leveling!

Woo great list :) would love a similar list for important 1h and shield to get while leveling!

Well I can start with obv stuff like Cruel Barb, Ironspine's Fist (all 3 items from him is pretty good for plank) and Hand of Antu'sul.

Also I believe that Fist of Stone from Landslide in mara would be pretty good to change between for questing (depends on the proc %).

I would recommend getting Corpsemaker from RFK at 29, which will last you til Bonebiter from In the Name of the Light which I would argue is better than Ravager, then The Rockpounder or Stoneslayer from uldaman at 44, which will last you til high 50's.

I agree that would be better, i just wrote there easiest Items possible to pick up that will be efficient during leveling ;)

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

This will be my first time leveling a paladin so I have 2 questions.

1. Is it viable to heal low lvl dungeons as ret?

2. When should I start rolling on healing gear so I can play as holy at lvl cap?

2. When should I start rolling on healing gear so I can play as holy at lvl cap?

1. As long as you keep some int gear, healing dung while lvling should be fine.

2. I'd say at 40+, if you wanna start healing in brd in 50's.

1- You sure can heal any lvl dungeon or raid as Ret , but most of the time you will end up without Mana that will cause Dungeon/Raid runs slower and bit hard unless Tank outlevel/overgear the Dungeon.

2- That is your choice when, in my Dungeons runs (this is just personal), i never allow DPS spec to roll on healing gear if Healer need it, because i consider it as ninja.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

If you plan on leveling solo mostly I can recommend a mix of Protection and Retribution talents like 0/26/25. The following is viewed strictly from a solo leveling/grinding point of view. And I also assume that your gear is not good as well. This might all change as soon as you have better gear available at 60 or if you want to be more efficient in dungeons/groups as well.

Here are my thoughts and alternatives to some talents chosen mentioned:

You don't need Spiritual Focus: Don't get me wrong it is a great talent indeed but it is not required at all for leveling. If you go down the protection route to get to Reckoning you have Improved Hammer of Justice so it will be available more often to heal yourself without being interrupted. You also should take Improved Concentration Aura giving you a 50% chance to avoid pushbacks if Hammer of Justice is on cooldown. And you have 2 bubbles as well you can use to bandage yourself. That is enough in almost every case. 

You don't need Consecration: Considering it is working here and does not scale with AP it is just a waste of mana against one or two targets. It does about the damage of a 2H weapon swing over 8 seconds for a bazillion of mana. Don't use it for grinding unless you want to drink constantly.

Parry instead of Imp. Blessing of Might and Imp. Seal of the Crusader: Imp. BoM increases the AP of the BoM by 31 for rank 6. That is like you had 15.5 strength more for 5 talent points. The difference is not noticable and it is just too expensive. And putting 3 points into Imp. SotC talent you deal 21 holy damage more to the target affected by the debuff. It is like you had plus 21 spelldamage. As your damaging spells never benefit from the full amount it is again not worth it.

You should take Parry instead. Most people forget to take it for their leveling specs. But it is a great talent actually. Not only it reduces the melee damage you take by 5% resulting in less mana used for healing, but also after a parry the time to your next swing is reduced by 40% as well (parry haste). So you attack faster. Especially slow weapons benefit from that and you want very slow weapons if you are using Seal of Command. It is a great talent increasing both your damage and defenses.

Imp. Retribution Aura instead of Sanctity Aura: Considering an average mob attack speed of 2 seconds having Improved Retribution Aura would add 900 holy damage done (a little less as you might dodge and the mob might miss) per minute. Later on with gear Sancity Aura will outperform Retribution Aura simply because you can not increase the damage of the RA. But while leveling your gear will most likely be not that good anyway. You also have to keep in mind that you personally will not benefit from RA when you are as damage dealer in a dungeon because you will not be attacked constantly. 

Reckoning instead of Vengeance: Your chance for a critical strike will be very low in average leveling gear. You have to keep in mind that Vengeance can't be reapplied while you are affected by it. This means that as soon as Vengeance wears off you hope to get a critical strike again. This often just does not happen when your critical strike chance is low. A better alternative would be going for Reckoning instead. A mob has a 5% chance to crit you which will give you an extra attack that can also cause Seal of Command to go off. If you pull 2 mobs you also benefit from the other mob hacking at you because this will lead to more extra attacks. That way you kill your current target faster as well.

Leveling is not only a matter of damage output but of mana management as well. So don't waste on stuff like Consecration or Judgement spam. You might kill the mob a little faster but you will have to drink more often as well. So you don't benefit from it. Here are a few tips to reduce downtime:

Spirit does not hurt. And it comes for free on many quest rewards or low level items as well. 5 seconds after you last cast a spell your spirit mana regeneration starts. So if you have to cast more than one spell, try to bundle it so you have bigger breaks in between. 

Always carry the best bandages for your level with you. When you have to use Divine Shield or Blessing of Protection use a bandage to save some mana.

Recharge your batteries on a mob. If you are running low on mana just save some enough mana to cast Seal of Wisdom, Judgement of Wisdom, Blessing of Wisdom and Seal of the Crusader. Pick a fast weapon with a instant damage proc that is also enchanted with Fiery Weapon. Your normal attack, the weapon damage proc and Fiery Weapon can trigger Justice of Wisdom. That way you have the chance to trigger it 3 times with each attack. Together with Blessing of Wisdom and a little spirit you will be full on mana pretty fast (usually when the mob is dead). This sure depends on your mana pool but for solo grinding your mana pool does not have to be large. The nice thing with this spec is that you basically can use rank 1 Seal of Command and deal about the same damage (only missing out on Judgement of Command).

Edited by elise

Nice to see some different direction which i completely agree ,(talking about pve leveling excluding the world pvp) but few things to mention only:

Parry instead of Imp. Blessing of Might and Imp. Seal of the Crusader: Imp. BoM increases the AP of the BoM by 31 for rank 6. That is like you had 15.5 strength more for 5 talent points. The difference is not noticable and it is just too expensive. And putting 3 points into Imp. SotC talent you deal 21 holy damage more to the target affected by the debuff. It is like you had plus 21 spelldamage. As your damaging spells never benefit from the full amount it is again not worth it.

You should take Parry instead. Most people forget to take it for their leveling specs. But it is a great talent actually. Not only it reduces the melee damage you take by 5% resulting in less mana used for healing, but also after a parry the time to your next swing is reduced by 40% as well (parry haste). So you attack faster. Especially slow weapons benefit from that and you want very slow weapons if you are using Seal of Command. It is a great talent increasing both your damage and defenses.

I agree to some degree that Blessing of Might is useless mainly because you want to spam more Judges and Seals or Heals or whatever that will cost Mana for higher DPS output . Blessing of Wisdom is by far more efficient for those reasons .

Improved Seal of the Crusader is essential for the starting zones but together with Seal of Command, Improved Judges and Vengeance it will increase the benefits from 21 Holy damage by Far (which is not 21 Holy Damage) because it variate each rank.

Seal of the Crusader meanwhile until level 20 is 2 times better DPS (even if it get fixed for damage to go down) than Seal of Righteousness where it is crucial element for your DPS and boost leveling speed.

I am aware that Parry will increase your next swing by 40% but this will happen only if your next swing takes longer than 50% which will less likely to happen during leveling.

2 Reasons : 1- You lack Defense while leveling and automatically Parry goes down with that which causing you lack of Parrying (will not be 5% but lower depend on your Defense) , 2- You will barely get less than 3% of the Attacks incoming to benefit full for next swing where most of your swings might result in faster than 40%.

I do agree is good for PVP because Defense won't matter there much but for PVE unless you are level 60 with 300 Defense it is nearly useless (not completely).

Imp. Retribution Aura instead of Sanctity Aura: Considering an average mob attack speed of 2 seconds having Improved Retribution Aura would add 900 holy damage done (a little less as you might dodge and the mob might miss) per minute. Later on with gear Sancity Aura will outperform Retribution Aura simply because you can not increase the damage of the RA. But while leveling your gear will most likely be not that good anyway. You also have to keep in mind that you personally will not benefit from RA when you are as damage dealer in a dungeon because you will not be attacked constantly.

You talk about level 60 Aura instead leveling Retribution Aura which will result to much lower damage done, to achieve Holy Damage while leveling by Retribution Aura per 60 seconds it is far worse than Judgement of Command or Seal of Command damage benefit from Sanctity Aura.

I have seen some nice number from Judgement of Command on stunned target at level 30 where simple stun can result up to 1500 damage where 150 will benefit from Sanctity Aura each 8 seconds = 562 damage without crit will benefit over 60 seconds only from this Judgement + Seal of Command where 7 procs by "Average" 300 Damage = 210 damage without crit = 772 

Keep in mind here is discussion about leveling Aura , not Aura at level 60 where Sanctity Aura at level 60 can benefit you over 1200-2000 damage per minute especially if you increase your critical rating more than 10% .

Reckoning instead of Vengeance: Your chance for a critical strike will be very low in average leveling gear. You have to keep in mind that Vengeance can't be reapplied while you are affected by it. This means that as soon as Vengeance wears off you hope to get a critical strike again. This often just does not happen when your critical strike chance is low. A better alternative would be going for Reckoning instead. A mob has a 5% chance to crit you which will give you an extra attack that can also cause Seal of Command to go off. If you pull 2 mobs you also benefit from the other mob hacking at you because this will lead to more extra attacks. That way you kill your current target faster as well.

Vengeance is not benefiting from White swings only , it benefit from Seal of Command , Hammer of Wrath and Judgement of command which are also Physical Hits + Exorcism/Holy Wrath in situation where you fight against Undeads/Demons such as Duskwood,Desolace,STV, EPL ,WPL .

In order to have Reckoning proc you need to eat Crit but (considering you talk about fixed Reckoning) then /Sit should not work for Reckoning proven on old Video from 2006 sadly.

As i said i don't say no , i like your way and is very good/healthy option  to have and i fully support because the way you play is extremely good against world PVP while leveling in PVP servers, but for fast leveling in "PVE" server for example won't result to very fast leveling.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

"You have to keep in mind that Vengeance can't be reapplied while you are affected by it.

A better alternative would be going for Reckoning instead. A mob has a 5% chance to crit you which will give you an extra attack that can also cause Seal of Command to go off."

Vengeance gets reset every time you crit, doesn't matter if you already have it or not.

No, SoC can only proc once per attack, additional white hits on the same swing cannot proc it again.
Edited by simppi

Vengeance gets reset every time you crit, doesn't matter if you already have it or not.

No, SoC can only proc once per attack, additional white hits on the same swing cannot proc it again.

You are completely correct here. Seal of Command in fact should/will reapply on Crit regardless if it is already proc or not.

Also true that Seal of Command should not proc from "Additional swings" since it work on PPM.

Uploaded on Nov 4, 2006

/Kind regards Killerduki

You are completely correct here. Seal of Command in fact should/will reapply on Crit regardless if it is already proc or not.

Uploaded on Nov 4, 2006

/Kind regards Killerduki

You mean vengeance should/will reapply? ;P

I'm happy to see killerduki here, because I know that the Crusade for a bug free SoC will be fought and we all know that's the only thing that really matters.

About leveling : here is the build I will use.

- Imp Blessing of Might is superior to Benediction imo, as you will use SoC rank 1 anyway and should not spam Judgment too much.

- Parry is the way to go. More survivability and huge DPS increase.

- Pursuit of Justice is mandatory for WPvP as it will allow you to endlessly catch up enemies with BoF.

- Eye for an Eye is a bit dodgy but why not.

- Repentance is a nice tool, can save you in ohshit situations and make WPvP much easier.

Consecration is worthless until lvl 40+ : damages are terribad for the cost.

I always go 31 Ret before Protec / Holy. It's questionable because you can either :

- get the 3% from Protec

- or get Spiritual Focus from Holy.

But I like going full Ret before investing points in other spec. It may be interesting to stop the Ret tree at lvl 28 to get the 3% hit earlier.

And get Verigan's Fist ASAP, it's OP as вау : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqew7HHlCg

Retribution DPS is decent in dungeons while leveling if you have a good weapon. I topped the meters very often as I put a loot of effort in getting BiS weapons. White hits FTW !

If you plan on leveling solo mostly I can recommend a mix of Protection and Retribution talents like 0/26/25

When suggesting "leveling spec" I'd recommend given people a break down of what points to take when, such as "by level 20 have this, by level 30 have this, and so on so people obtain the best talents early on and know what tree to start in.

A mob has a 5% chance to crit you which will give you an extra attack that can also cause Seal of Command to go off.

I don't think he means two or even more SoC procs would shoot off in the same reckbomb, but the possibility of getting a SoC proc is higher. For example, you got a reckbomb charged up to 5 hits and unload it with SoC up. We know the SoC proc will only shoot off once in those 5 hits, but your chance that it will shoot off is 5 times higher than with a single hit. This is why you see the SoC proc in reckbombs sometimes appear after 3rd hit, maybe sometimes after 4th hit, because the first 1-2 hits didn't proc it. I think he is right with his point.

Also true that Seal of Command should not proc from "Additional swings" since it work on PPM.

Is there any evidence you can provide? I just know how it is working on other Freeshards and you can actually see SoC procs shooting off after 2nd-5th hit of your reckbomb. If your claims are correct, the SoC proc could only appear at the first of your 5 hits. Considering fiery weapon enchant, lifedrain and other procs (correct me if im mistaken) are also based on PPM, they should also only be able to trigger on your first weapon swing in a 5 hit reckbomb.

I don't think he means two or even more SoC procs would shoot off in the same reckbomb, but the possibility of getting a SoC proc is higher. For example, you got a reckbomb charged up to 5 hits and unload it with SoC up. We know the SoC proc will only shoot off once in those 5 hits, but your chance that it will shoot off is 5 times higher than with a single hit. This is why you see the SoC proc in reckbombs sometimes appear after 3rd hit, maybe sometimes after 4th hit, because the first 1-2 hits didn't proc it. I think he is right with his point.

Is there any evidence you can provide? I just know how it is working on other Freeshards and you can actually see SoC procs shooting off after 2nd-5th hit of your reckbomb. If your claims are correct, the SoC proc could only appear at the first of your 5 hits. Considering fiery weapon enchant, lifedrain and other procs (correct me if im mistaken) are also based on PPM, they should also only be able to trigger on your first weapon swing in a 5 hit reckbomb.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.9.0

On-next-swing abilities will no longer cause multiple weapon procs on a single swing.

/Kind regards Killerduki

http://wowwiki.wikia...iki/Patch_1.9.0

On-next-swing abilities will no longer cause multiple weapon procs on a single swing.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Thanks for the notes, so reckoning is unloaded on next swing, this is why you won't see multiple SoC procs appear in the same reckbomb.

But where can i read about the chance to proc. You think it is set to the first hit only, or just counting as one attack at all (?) but still there are 5 white hits in your attack. So what if they implemented this restriction for "on-next-swing abilities" (reckbomb) but still every white hit in your bomb can trigger the one and only SoC proc that can appear in it?

So guys, what build do you think will be better for the new fresh server assuming we will have a lot of PVP? Reckoning/Ret Build? or Full Ret vengeance? do you know if the nostalrius bug of paladin are fixed while we waited for the server??

Edited by Method

So guys, what build do you think will be better for the new fresh server assuming we will have a lot of PVP? Reckoning/Ret Build? or Full Ret vengeance? do you know if the nostalrius bug of paladin are fixed while we waited for the server??

Vengeance now proc from Special Abilities and Seal of Command in server , even Sanctity Aura work with Seal of Command .

/Kind regards Killerduki

Vengeance now proc from Special Abilities and Seal of Command in server , even Sanctity Aura work with Seal of Command .

/Kind regards Killerduki

Thank you paladin master, i dont like so much consacrate so full ret and the rest points in prot for hammer cd its good?

I would think that deep retri pvp spec will be the best because there are alot of casters on horde side, and for them you really need eye for an eye and repentance to have a good chance at beating them every time.