Trales

Best/Worst starting zones?[New Serve]

Hey Guys!

Now with the new server coming up tomorrow i was wondering which starting zones might have the most pleasant leveling experience while everything is full of players. Now i know that every area will probably be a pain in the butt, but im still interested. I've tried the Horde ones, and im especially curious about these, but alliance starting areas would also be interesting.

Now we all know that certain starting zones have higher population, since about 40-50% of players play either human or undead. tauren and night elf starting zones on the other hand probably have the smallest population, with Durotar/Dun Morogh being second place.

But its not all about how many players there will be but also what quests and other experience you can get there. I know some of you might try to get some experience while exploring and stuff, but i'd rather focus on questing/farming mobs in the starting zones.

Now while taurens/mulgore will have the lowest population among the horde, the quests there are also really bad for such a high pop sever since the majority are collect quests, that cannot be done efficiently in groups and have really bad droprates.(<50% for most of the stuff)

Orcs/Trolls in durotar do actually have a lot of kill quests, or quests where every group member can loot the specific items. Sure theres also a few low spawnrate collect quests, but it was much better than mulgore.

Undead seems to have a pretty balanced amount of kill and collect quests, but just because of the high population this will probably still be the starting zone, with the hardest to finish quests.

Now im curious about your opinions about this. Will leveling in durotar be easier than mulgore, or will the high pop make it worse than the collect quests in mulgore? Or maybe tirisfal isnt even as bad as i thought?

Also while we're at it does someone have some input about barrens vs silverpine forst? I've actually never leveled in the latter, but based on what i've heard its rather bad and probably still not worth even if theres less players.

I'd also be interested about your input of alliance starting zones.

Cheers!

I think Teldrassil has the fewest object pickup quests which would make it one of the comparatively least painful one. All in all however, you're better off waiting a week for the player surge to level out since an overwhelming amount of players will be filling up 1-20 zones on the first day few days. Everyone's starting out fresh, after all.

If you've no interest in that advice, just pick wherever you want. All of them will be pretty bad, so you may as well enjoy it.

Choosing a race just in order to elude some early level pain, is rather wrong imo.

There's only two ways to avoid the first wave crowd : No-life to by-pass it, or wait a few time to completely under-level it.

Hey thanks for your answers!

Im pretty much set on my class/race combo already, and i wont just chose whatever race has the best zone! Yet i am still curious and i might even consider changing starting zones with my characters to get some bonus XP, flightpaths and then level in said best zone!

I think the thing is not about your first 1-5 levels.

You can get to lvl 5 by exploring during the server start.

There are numerous youtube videos about that.

The thing is more about where you should be leveling after lvl 5 and what exalted reputation you want at your lvl 35-40 first. 

Its like that cause you want a fast honored reputation with a favourite faction for discounts, espeially profession and mount discounts.

Its a big deal for a fresh server economy and your personal gold savings.

And then its really up to you where you are gonna be at lvl 40 and what mount/profession discounts you need.

As a skinner/herbalist tauren druid Im gonna run and explore flying paths until lvl 5 and then Im gonna do Mulgore quests lvl 5+. They are plenty and they are in the different areas of Mulgore, which brings good diversity. 

Good luck on the fresh server!

At horde most race have different startzone

At alliance gnomes share it with dwarves so definetely that will be the most crowded. I heard elves are the least popular

3 minutes ago, damagepy said:

At horde most race have different startzone

At alliance gnomes share it with dwarves so definetely that will be the most crowded. I heard elves are the least popular

Wrong it's the exact same situation. Each faction has 2 races that share a starting zone.

8 hours ago, avl8 said:

I think the thing is not about your first 1-5 levels.

You can get to lvl 5 by exploring during the server start.

There are numerous youtube videos about that.

can you show some link?

3 часа назад, ThatMask сказал:

I think Teldrassil has the fewest object pickup quests which would make it one of the comparatively least painful one. All in all however, you're better off waiting a week for the player surge to level out since an overwhelming amount of players will be filling up 1-20 zones on the first day few days. Everyone's starting out fresh, after all.

If you've no interest in that advice, just pick wherever you want. All of them will be pretty bad, so you may as well enjoy it.

Its exact opposite, Teldrassil is by far the hardest starting zone since:

1. There is long respawn unsharable quest item that you'll spend along time to get.

2. There is a cave that some quests lead into with fast respawning furbolgs, and youre almost garanteed to die several times there unless form a group.

32 минуты назад, koseku сказал:

can you show some link?

Alliance one: 

Horde: 

Based on what i've seen and read so far, alliance exploring(especially human i think?) seems much better than horde, but the latter might still profit from it.

Either way, even if you're doing the exploring tactics, what zones are the best to level from 4+ and 10/11+ after that? I'd still go for Durotar/Barrens.

What starting zone won't make a difference. What will is being quick to login and having a friend or two to explore up quick and then grind lvl 5+ mobs. Quests will slow you down under the curve because the majority will be killing those early quest mobs and will be the most packed. In the starting zones though I'd expect it hard to even tag a mob for any1 w/o a near instant ranged damage.

Starting as a war or other melee off the bat will likely doom you to leveling slow as well while range nab everything.

But yah, explore quickly and then grind mobs above the curve with maybe 2 friends. But this is only going to be good if your going hardcore pulling 18 hour days for the first week to get top in the curve.

3 hours ago, avl8 said:

What is your future race/class?

Tauren Hunter.

I've tried leveling through Durotar and Mulgore twice now and while i don't really like Durotar too much the quests in Mulgore are just nerve-racking with their bad droprate and the big areas where you have to hunt the creatures for.

I'll probably still try to do a bit of questing, and if it is really going to be unplayable i try to run at least to Orgrimmar, but probably not Tirisfal.

I dont see a reason while a tauren hunter would ever do some quests past lvl 5 on a server start.

There are so many good grinding spots around mulgore that hunters can grind for a lot of early resources. And by doing grind you effectively going ahead of the crowd.

And being Taurens we can get a very good early edge by farming reputation with Thunderbluff. Honored, revered and exalted reputation gives us very good discounts on everything we need while leveling.

In Vanilla, you only get one discount when you reach HONOURED reputation. REVERED and EXALTED award no further discounts.

You can get an additional (to the above) discount by becoming Sgt. in the PvP system, and that's all there is to it.

I guess Mulgore isn't too bad for grinding like you said, just questing will be bad.

I think i'll try to get to OG/Lvl 3, then grind the small starting area a bit, and then get into the other grinding zones all around Mulgore. Thanks!