o0oNullo0o

Taming new pets yield no new abilities.

Early on i tamed a boar which had charge that i could then learn and use on other pets. I also tamed a scorpid that had claw(rank 2 ) and Scorpid poison that i was able to learn and thus use on other pets. However, now that i am taming higher level pets in the barrens attempting to get higher level skills like Bite(rank 3) ect ect, i am finding that all the pets i tame come with zero abilities. 

Are the abilities on a newly tamed pet random? As in, must i continue to tame hyenas until i find one with bite or howl, ect? Thanks for your reply!

It usually takes some time to learn the new abilities. Feeding the new pet shouldn't be necessary. Set the ability you want from the new pet to autocast mode and fight with it for some time. You should get a message in chat screen when you have learned the new ability and after that it should appear in Pet training screen. You can then abandon the new pet if you want to.

Edited by Tsapluuna
Added more information

Mmhm, you "learn" the tamed mob's abilities by having the pet just use that ability over and over again, until you see "You have learned (ability) (Rank X)" show up in your chat window, then you can abandon and get your normal pet out, and teach it the ability through Beast Training window.

For things like Furious Howl, Dash, Prowl etc, you don't need to be in combat, just manually click the ability from the pet bar over and over until you learn it.

Edited by gotmilk0112

For combat abilities (Bite, Claw, etc.) that require a target, I like to go hunting Level 1 and 5 Critters (Rabbits, Deer, Cows, Snakes, Squirrels, you get the idea) and let my newly tamed Pet curbstomp those under controlled circumstances until my Hunter learns the Pet Skill, after which time the Pet gets abandoned.

The Hunter Helper addon is nice for finding certain ranks of abilities in-game.  Just type /hh find <spell> #.

21 hours ago, o0oNullo0o said:

Are the abilities on a newly tamed pet random? As in, must i continue to tame hyenas until i find one with bite or howl, ect? Thanks for your reply!

Are you using your Beast Lore ability on beasts before taming them to verify what (if any) abilities they'll come with when tamed?

15 hours ago, Lassirra said:

Are you using your Beast Lore ability on beasts before taming them to verify what (if any) abilities they'll come with when tamed?

I dont have beast lore yet, but i did find a video that details all the locations of the pets with the various ranks i need. 

Cheers!

Didn't want to make a new post for this but I have a question similar to the OP, I went to the pet trainer and learned the first couple moves for my pet which were Great Stamina and Natural Armor, but neither me or my pets HP/Armor got increased at all. Is this bugged or how is it supposed to work? I have a pet that doesn't have any natural ability's at the moment, therefore I don't have a pet spellbook if that means anything. Also, I currently have 42 training points for my pet but I don't know how or where to spend them, any help?

The trainer just teaches you the ability, you have to train it to your pet if you want them, they cost you training points though.

Edited by Maez

2 minutes ago, Maez said:

The trainer just teaches you the ability, you have to train it to your pet if you want them, they cost you training points though.

Ah, I didn't realize the beast training ability actually opened up a whole window for all that. Thanks :D