Jump to content
Hyperial

Best Profession Ret Paladin??

Recommended Posts

I'm getting mixed signals on this... Weaponsmith or Engineering? I completely forgot if you can have both.

What is the maximum amount of professions/gathering abilities allotted to a character? and which do you think is best for a Retribution Paladin and why?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 Primary Professions, all of the Secondary Professions (Cooking, First Aid, Fishing).

Blacksmithing and Engineering are both Primary Professions.  You can have 2 Primary Professions.

You can pick either Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing as your Specialization for Blacksmithing.  If you choose Weaponsmithing you have a further choice in whether to pick Axesmithing, Hammersmithing or Swordsmithing.

You can pick either Gnomish Engineering or Goblin Engingeering as your Specialization for Engineering.

Point.
Click.
Read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2017 at 0:48 AM, Hyperial said:

I'm getting mixed signals on this... Weaponsmith or Engineering? I completely forgot if you can have both.

What is the maximum amount of professions/gathering abilities allotted to a character? and which do you think is best for a Retribution Paladin and why?

If this is your first toon, I recommend Engineering/Mining.

when I was a paladin in retail vanilla I went blacksmith/Mining and eventually did swordsmithing. It was great for leveling but in my honest opinion, armor smith would of been the best option to go.

Engineering is a great benefit to Paladins with its ranged abilities and various trinkets. It's great for both PvE/PvP benefits.

If you have an alt to go Mining, I definitely would say go Eng/BS to compliment your paladin for full potentials!

(Gnomish/Armorsmith)

its truly sad that you must choose only 2 professions, but that's ok.

get the best of both worlds and use a mule toon (alt) to bank extra items and farm ore. It will help you so much in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I have a Warrior and a Paladin on Darrowshire, I realized (belatedly) that I really didn't need 2 Miners since 1 Miner is enough for an account.  Both my Warrior and Paladin have Blacksmithing, but I kept my Warrior as Blacksmithing/Mining and changed my Paladin to Blacksmithing/Engineering.

Incidentally, I've also got a Gnome Warlock with Tailoring/Engineering in my stable of 8 Alliance characters.

My thought is to have the Warrior go into Weaponsmithing and have my Paladin go into Armorsmithing, even though my Warrior is going to have to mine the "imperial arseloads" of ore necessary to smelt into bars for the Armorsmithing Quests and then "ship it" via in-game mail to my Paladin.  It'll be ... tedious ... to do when I get to that phase, but oh well.  The reason for this is because "better armor" hurts a Warrior's Rage generation, while it only helps a Paladin, meaning there's a potential downside for Warriors in better armor but no "real" downside to better armor on Paladins.  Flipside to that is that Warriors get a nice Rage generation from better weapons (among other things), while Paladins are neither hindered nor helped significantly in how much Holy damage they can dish out from their weapons, with respect to the Blacksmithing choices.

So like JC above, I'm of the opinion that Armorsmithing makes for a better fit on a Paladin than it does on a Warrior.

But I'm then curious as to why JC would want to go Gnomish Engineering rather than Goblin Engineering on a Paladin.  I assume it's for the Trinkets (Net Gun, etc.) rather than for the Bombs, but I'd like to hear more about what tips the advantage towards Gnomish rather than Goblin in the context of a Paladin build ... and does that thinking hold true for Holy, Protection and Retribution spec equally, or do the different specs have different "demands" on what works best for them out of Engineering?  This is a "show your work" request rather than a "just give me the bottom line answer" kind of inquiry since I want to understand the reasoning behind the decision.

So please ... regale us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got bs/mining atm but I'm curious about engineering too.  Let us know what you like specifically about engineering compared to bs or gnomish vs goblin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After doing extensive research I opted for Engineering/Mining which JC mentioned to do. Thanks btw.

Reason being there doesn't seem to be any real benefit from BS or WSmithing. The BOP items are easily replaced in raids. There's a trinket in the BS line you can get but the pros compared to most other trinkets are negligible.

There doesn't seem to be a 2nd pvp oriented profession for the rich. Mining I guess is the way to go for useables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hyperial said:

After doing extensive research I opted for Engineering/Mining which JC mentioned to do. Thanks btw.

Reason being there doesn't seem to be any real benefit from BS or WSmithing. The BOP items are easily replaced in raids. There's a trinket in the BS line you can get but the pros compared to most other trinkets are negligible.

There doesn't seem to be a 2nd pvp oriented profession for the rich. Mining I guess is the way to go for useables.

Eng is a great compliment for a paladin, plus Mining is always a great source of income, if needed.

glad I was able to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 6:50 PM, Roxanne Flowers said:

 I'm then curious as to why JC would want to go Gnomish Engineering rather than Goblin Engineering on a Paladin.  I assume it's for the Trinkets (Net Gun, etc.) rather than for the Bombs, but I'd like to hear more about what tips the advantage towards Gnomish rather than Goblin in the context of a Paladin build ... and does that thinking hold true for Holy, Protection and Retribution spec equally, or do the different specs have different "demands" on what works best for them out of Engineering?  This is a "show your work" request rather than a "just give me the bottom line answer" kind of inquiry since I want to understand the reasoning behind the decision.

So please ... regale us.

Bias opinion honestly, Gnomes are part of the alliance while Goblins can't be trusted!

I feel the don't offer much difference but I do like gnome trinkets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JCarrill0 said:

Bias opinion honestly, Gnomes are part of the alliance while Goblins can't be trusted!

I feel the don't offer much difference but I do like gnome trinkets!

Fair enough.  Didn't know if you had any deeper insights than surface impressions.  I was mainly wondering if there was something in either path that fell into the "this is game changing" category (aside from the Force Reactive Disk of course).

Guess the question of "which specialization is best for which classes?" in Engineering properly belongs in the Engineering Forum then.  I'll go ask it over there.

Edited by Roxanne Flowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gnomish > Goblin for the simple fact that Gnomish can still use most Goblin stuff anyway but the real winner is being able to teleport to Gadgetzan instead of Winterspring - makes getting to AQ must easier/faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread posted in Engineering Forum asking/analyzing which classes get the most benefit from going with Gnomish or Goblin Engineering based on exclusives.  My preliminary analysis says that Gnomish Engineering offers a few advantages to a few classes due to particular synergies, while Goblin Engineering is considerably more "class agnostic" in terms of synergies with classes.  Feel free to point out what I've overlooked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Theloras said:

Gnomish > Goblin for the simple fact that Gnomish can still use most Goblin stuff anyway but the real winner is being able to teleport to Gadgetzan instead of Winterspring - makes getting to AQ must easier/faster.

This^

ps- why is your post -10?

10 hours ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

Thread posted in Engineering Forum asking/analyzing which classes get the most benefit from going with Gnomish or Goblin Engineering based on exclusives.  My preliminary analysis says that Gnomish Engineering offers a few advantages to a few classes due to particular synergies, while Goblin Engineering is considerably more "class agnostic" in terms of synergies with classes.  Feel free to point out what I've overlooked.

I will look over the post since you linked it. Thanks.

edit: I made a reply on why I Ike gnomish over goblin.

its honestly preference, I don't really feel one side has a true advantage over another.

 

Edited by JCarrill0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JCarrill0 said:

This^

ps- why is your post -10?

I will look over the post since you linked it. Thanks.

edit: I made a reply on why I Ike gnomish over goblin.

its honestly preference, I don't really feel one side has a true advantage over another.

 

All my haters/trolls from this thread can't handle the truth that if Thunderfury nerf gets reverted then it would open the floodgates for custom fixes/buffs:

https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/41454-buff-thunderfury-the-not-so-legendary-weapon/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×