Jump to content
Fizzlestix

Killing Them One Arrow at a Time – Hunter PvP Tips

Recommended Posts

Ho there,

I was looking for some insights into the inner secrets of Hunter PvP. Seeing how it's one of the more technical classes to play due to the innate weakness of having a dead zone, I thought it might be helpful to share the tricks of the trade that allow you to keep those pesky enemies out of your comfort zone off of you.

So here's my list of hopefully useful tips for playing a Hunter in PvP (from the perspective of a level 54 Troll Hunter specced into Beast Mastery 31 and Marksman 14).

  • Priests and Warlocks can just be bursted down with Bestial Wrath because they lack gap closers/non-fear CC
  • Most of the time it's safe to use Aspect of the Cheetah to kite Warriors because they rarely ever think of using their ranged weapon to daze you
  • Once Paladins have used their ranged stun, they can be kited quite easily as well
  • Useful abilities to control a fight are: Feign Death + Freeze Trap, Wing Clip, Gnomish Net Projector and to a lesser extent Intimidate and Engineering grenades
  • Feign Death makes the opponent lose you as a target thus cancelling any ongoing spells
  • Feign Death also makes pets unable to attack you allowing you to wait out opposing Bestial Wraths and to send pets back to their owner buying you some time
  • Against Hunters, it's imo best to react to the given situation: if he pops Bestial Wrath, Feign Death to wait it out. If he Feigns Death, then either nuke him down if he's low enough, or Feign Death as well until he comes back to life or his Bestial Wrath runs out
  • Against Mages I think it's best to just try to burst them down. They can CC your pet if you don't Bestial Wrath and they can wait out Bestial Wrath with Ice Block if you do use it, so I think it's best to just try to burst them down and to hope that it's enough
  • Macros that I found useful: Feign Death + Freeze Trap, switching between Aspect of the Hawk and the Cheetah with a single button

 

That's all I got for know. Feel free to share your insights into Hunter PvP! :)

 

Edited by Fizzlestix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a simple but effective tip:

If you're trying to be sneaky, try not to cast Aimed Shot on an enemy that has no target. They will auto target you. If you start casting when they have another target, they won't know it's coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the one that you chill in "Feign Death" till "Bestial Wrath" is over.

ps: BW is 18 secs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Priests and Warlocks can just be bursted down with Bestial Wrath because they lack gap closers/non-fear CC

PVP oriented characters will have engineering in most cases, you cannot rely on this.  Have you heard of the shadow priest blackout talent? Warlock's succubus can cast seduction on you OR FEAR, they kill your pet, then no BW for you.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Most of the time it's safe to use Aspect of the Cheetah to kite Warriors because they rarely ever think of using their ranged weapon to daze you

If by most of the time you mean some of the time.  A good warrior will not stay in one stance, and will keep you snared and hopefully kill you BEFORE you have a chance to get away.  I do agree that you should have an easier time with warriors than some other classes.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Once Paladins have used their ranged stun, they can be kited quite easily as well

Blessing of Freedom.  Immunity Shield.  What if the paly has engineering, or repentance, or Pursuit of Justice... If you pop cheetah and the paladin happens to have 31pt holy for Holy Shock?

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Useful abilities to control a fight are: Feign Death + Freeze Trap, Wing Clip, Gnomish Net Projector and to a lesser extent Intimidate and Engineering grenades

Intimidate is nothing to snuff at...  Though you forgot Scatter Shot and Imp. Wingclip for the Marksman/Survival players.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Feign Death makes the opponent lose you as a target thus cancelling any ongoing spells

Yes, this helps as an additional interrupt.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Feign Death also makes pets unable to attack you allowing you to wait out opposing Bestial Wraths and to send pets back to their owner buying you some time

It cancels the pet's auto attack, but if the opposing player targets you again (via clicking or target last target) they can command their pet to attack you again.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Against Hunters, it's imo best to react to the given situation: if he pops Bestial Wrath, Feign Death to wait it out. If he Feigns Death, then either nuke him down if he's low enough, or Feign Death as well until he comes back to life or his Bestial Wrath runs out

This is a good strategy for bots, yes.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Against Mages I think it's best to just try to burst them down. They can CC your pet if you don't Bestial Wrath and they can wait out Bestial Wrath with Ice Block if you do use it, so I think it's best to just try to burst them down and to hope that it's enough

A good mage will cc you and kill your pet, especially if you're BM.

 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 AM, Fizzlestix said:

Macros that I found useful: Feign Death + Freeze Trap, switching between Aspect of the Hawk and the Cheetah with a single button

Pet attack macros are also useful and a pet follow/passive attached to your mount button.

 

Protip: Also, unbind your S key as a hunter, that will prevent you from being a bad. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×