Alright

Hardware, servers, and funds

server-and-funds.jpg

Dear Community,

As you know, we are paid up until Sept/Oct with the actual hosting servers based on the donations that we have received from our faithful player base. So, why are we asking for funds again? Let’s get down to it.

We are in need of roughly three bits of hardware at the moment. New realm hardware, new database replication server and a new aggregated logging server. The reason for these new pieces of hardware are so that we do not fill up the current server hard drives with the above mentioned information.

Most of our gameservers are rapidly filling up their current usable storage space with loot (which there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of loot per second, roughly about 50 per second, 7 logins per second and the day of the crash had about 150 logins per second and each login generates about 3-5 log entries per login, not just one), level, kill and trade logs. We are in desperate need of additional hardware that allows for us not just to store logs in a centralized location, but also apply some filters (automatically) to these logs that will allow us to automatically catch exploiters, dupers and other wrongdoings in real time, as well for assisting in answering GM tickets.

SQL Replication Servers — with the current backup system, it runs twice daily at specified times, as well as prior to any maintenance, but if a backup has issues or the realm server has issues (hardware failure, database failure, core bugs) for some reason it will give us the ability to revert to any point in time, whether it's yesterday or several minutes ago, rather than having to resort to the last backup before failure. Essentially, the extra hardware will allow us to do more frequent backups without negative performance issues on the game realms while allowing us to offer a more reliable service.

New Realm Hardware — Temporary for one month, allowing us to perform much needed maintenance on the existing realm hardware without needing to take the game servers offline while the work is carried out. Each machine will have its realm moved to the temporary server, allowing us to make the changes needed without disrupting game play.

Logging Server — Centralized logging server for automatic analysis of loot, level, xp, gold logs, etc.. This will allow us to catch far more gold sellers than before, as well as taking some of the pressure off the realm machines.

How much will this cost?
100 USD monthly + 300 USD (for one month)  in addition to Anathema+Darrowshire+Elysium server hosting + ~250 USD per month for database replication server.

When are we looking to implement this?
As soon as possible.

Why is it actually needed? Is the Off-Loading really necessary?
If you have not noticed, during the times that the servers back up, sometimes you get stuck at retrieving character list/login or the game world lags/freezes from time to time. With the additional hardware, we can remove the load/stress on the game servers by having hardware dedicated to replicating the databases as well as another machine to handle the logging data.

Wallets: PayPal / YandexMoney / Bitcoin: 1LPeG1UuMRMwPq12pf5MHYWxH6X13UUS87 (QR code included, guide how to use Bitcoins)

chart.png

Sincerely,
Elysium Staff

If we do donate, will there be any kind of transparency in regards to where our money goes? Last time we got a half baked effort by Shenna, hoping the new staff will be more open with this sort of thing this time around.

Looks like the paypal is still going to Shenna's paypal, any particular reason for this?

If you were using a fund raising site, or even a wordpress plugin for people to see funds build up real time as donations arrive, you'd probably raise funds in surplus, and faster than you are now. 

58 minutes ago, indi said:

If we do donate, will there be any kind of transparency in regards to where our money goes? Last time we got a half baked effort by Shenna, hoping the new staff will be more open with this sort of thing this time around.

Looks like the paypal is still going to Shenna's paypal, any particular reason for this?

it's not Shenna's account, Shenna had a different account, this doesn't even belong to Shenna. It's the project's account.

Just now, Jakira said:

it's not Shenna's account, Shenna had a different account, this doesn't even belong to Shenna. It's the project's account.

It is the original Valk paypal account, why wouldn't you guys make a new one if you cut all ties with Shenna and the other former admins? Why continue to use that one?

Whole thing just looks odd from a player's perspective.

I'll happily donate 50 USD for the hard work this volunteer staff does. Hopefully the community can raise enough to get these guys some kind of compensation, or some reward for their hard work. 

Kudos dev team.

If they really would've bad intentions it wouldnt be that obvious thb.

But yeah, this could've handled better with a more professional looking account and not some russian random name.
It may hinder some people who would like to donate from donating and the haters have some new feed now.

Im willing to go on board to donate, but It would be nice if you created a different paypal. True or not, theres drama surrounding the current one. Create a new one and make a clean break from the Shenna rumors and Ill pitch in. Ill bet Im not the only one either. Servers been doing GREAT since Shenna left, cut the umbilical completely and lets move on man.

Edit: Also yeah if you had a system where everyone could see how much was donated so far instead of zero transparency, that would help also.

how big is the SQL DB atm? i got a 2 TB hdd in my server that is not in use atm and if its not too big i can set up a sql replication server,

6 hours ago, indi said:

Don't worry indi, we all know you're too poor to donate. You don't have to feel guilty.

If you were using a fund raising site, or even a wordpress plugin for people to see funds build up real time as donations arrive, you'd probably raise funds in surplus, and faster than you are now. 

Fundraising sites take a huge cut and do you actually believe they're running this on Wordpress?

• Great job Dev Team on keeping the best server in the world up and running at peak performance.

I would be inclined to donate again, if there was only 1 server eating those funds, but since then you guys are destroying the server pop of anathema who made you guys you are with the nost server. Nost didnt make 4 servers and split a 15k realm pop down to 2-4k...

make it 1 server and I would consider donating, right now, the servers future is questionable.

Any idea, that if I donate, that my ban appeal will be gone over slightly more swiftly? Kinda bummed out, got off work and figured tonight would be the night to get my test of skulls questline done...... no idea why this is happening -__- already changed my PW as instructed before setting forth the appeal... dunnno whats going on...

Just now, Neversmiled said:

Why you need to rent servers, if you can just buy them for that cost,  in the long run it will be much cheaper

The hardware itself is only part of the cost, upkeep - including suitable physical hosting, power, and service and support makes up most of the ongoing cost of this kind of thing.

This post doesn't mention anything about ongoing costs for Zeth'kur - I assume that's because of the plan to shut it down and allow transfers to the other three realms, as announced over a month ago. However, since then we've heard essentially nothing more about it, despite a stated commitment to keep the community informed. So, before putting up some cash, what can you say about that?

39 minutes ago, Jellydonut said:

This post doesn't mention anything about ongoing costs for Zeth'kur - I assume that's because of the plan to shut it down and allow transfers to the other three realms, as announced over a month ago. However, since then we've heard essentially nothing more about it, despite a stated commitment to keep the community informed. So, before putting up some cash, what can you say about that?

They said that Zeth'Kur is already running on Anathemas hardware.

Hey, maybe you could adress the issue concerning rollbacks - What happened, what are you going to do about it? Why should we donate money when you guys dont even communicate with ur players

4 minutes ago, Nescalz said:

Hey, maybe you could adress the issue concerning rollbacks - What happened, what are you going to do about it? Why should we donate money when you guys dont even communicate with ur players

it's been discussed. 

Staden - Today at 3:04 PM Here's the explanation: MySQL failed and the core kept running, essentially meaning it wasn't saving the data to the database. It crashed, eventually, but not until a significant chunk of data had been 'lost'. This is a flaw in MaNGOS that can affect any private server you play on. We've been working to solve it and we've been preparing an announcement on infrastructure changes that we're hoping will allow us to prevent this sort of incident. More on that later, when the announcement is ready. Yes, it sucks, no, we didn't roll it back intentionally. It's an unfortunate series of events and a nasty issue with the core.

Aren't you involved in selling the gold you can generate? There you have your funds. If not, again, there you have your funds. Or do you honestly believe, Blizzard doesnt make use of the gold any GM whatsoever can generate, and a player needs and buys with RL money? Of course

inbefore ban for saying the truth

9 hours ago, Itokome said:

Any idea, that if I donate, that my ban appeal will be gone over slightly more swiftly? Kinda bummed out, got off work and figured tonight would be the night to get my test of skulls questline done...... no idea why this is happening -__- already changed my PW as instructed before setting forth the appeal... dunnno whats going on...

I'm not a Lawyer, but that sounds a lot like a bribe...