Armkron

Looking for class choice advice

Hey all. I'm a vanilla newbie (my WoW experience is reduced to late TBC till early Cataclysm). Which options are there (and prefered) for hybrid classes for a non-healing setup?

My main focus is PvP (either wPvP or bg), though I'd rather minimize my healing focus overall (even though I'm open to and will keep a healing set for occasional heal runs, just don't want it to be main focus). I just care about harsh (or boring) leveling. There's no problem with needing (and keeping) various gear sets or consumables to be fine. Being hard to gear isn't an issue either. Hard playstyles are fine (powershifting and such). 

To make it clear, I will point up my all-time go-to classes/specs were enh shaman (not considering it here since according to my research it ends up as a one-trick-pony slot machine windfury bot...Furthermore I expect rolling alliance so no shams anyway)  and my main was always a dedicated feral (both cat and bear) druid (even though got forced to heal for quite a while and ended up hating it).

All in all I'm open for other suggestions yet it doesn't help my best non-hybrid isn't in good shape either (deep affli lock when DoTs scale poorly...). Any guidance is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, shadow priest, frost mage, healadin, mortal strike warrior and cb/prep rogue are the top tier classes for PvP in vanilla.

Since you're into hybrids, you should roll shadow priest, it's by far the best hybrid in vanilla and arguably the best pvp class overall, they have strong DoTs and they are very tanky : 

- 15% dmg reduce with shadow form

- Shields

- Tons of armor with inner fire

- Big health pool

What else x)

As an alliance warlock my favorite encounters are when I get in a fight with a healing class that doesn't heal.  Shadow priests, feral druids and enh shamans die with relative ease.  I imagine it's much the same on horde side when fighting a ret pally.

On 2017-6-2 at 4:01 PM, Hurricane2 said:

As an alliance warlock my favorite encounters are when I get in a fight with a healing class that doesn't heal.  Shadow priests, feral druids and enh shamans die with relative ease.  I imagine it's much the same on horde side when fighting a ret pally.

To make it clear I was asking for something not a full-decked healer. Most hybrids (i.e druid,pally,shaman,priest) have healing spells and approach so in the end healing is part of the core class. But one thing is a brawler or damage dealer with spot heals (Spriest, reckbomb pally, Fdruid) and a fully different one is a fully dedicated healing-focused character like a stereotypical Hpally. I just have no interest in the latter at all.

The hybrids are more fun to play than dedicated healers but are far less effective in bgs.  Feral druids can flag run so they're alright but shadow priests and non resto shamans are just free honor.

22 hours ago, Hurricane2 said:

The hybrids are more fun to play than dedicated healers but are far less effective in bgs.  Feral druids can flag run so they're alright but shadow priests and non resto shamans are just free honor.

Elemental shamans are one of the most op class in group pvp. It destroys everything,and shield / mail help a lot against melee

They are usually dead by the time they put down a grounding totem and if they do put 1 down it only adds 1 click.  I hope they put a tremor totem down, that's a waste of a global cool down.  Maybe other classes have trouble with them but for warlocks it's an insta steam roll the vast majority of the time.

Don't feed the troll with hurricane. He obviously never did any competitive pvp here to think as he thinks.

@op If you need information about spriest or elemental shaman,go to their class subforum,u will get all you need. 

If u need proof of the spec performance,check legacy logs

https://legacy-logs.com/Vanilla/HighestRanks/?server=&faction=0&class=&page=1

Actually the only premades that really were able to put up a fight against the alliance premades were with two elemental shamans. Purging, double burst combo (lightning bolt + CL + shock) can put heavy pressure on the enemy.
And resto shamans are pretty bad talentwise. Above the 21 talent alot of the talents are useless, finishing the uselessnes with a 31 points in resto 5mins CD ability that has 5 HP while you are mostly in the group with warriors to let them train others in the ground with WF totem support.

So playing a elemental shaman the way they are meant to be played yields the best results: Purge, heal alot and nuke as soon as the moment arises as elemental shamans tend to run oom when casting offensively for too long.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:59 AM, ismeckye said:

Actually the only premades that really were able to put up a fight against the alliance premades were with two elemental shamans. Purging, double burst combo (lightning bolt + CL + shock) can put heavy pressure on the enemy.
And resto shamans are pretty bad talentwise. Above the 21 talent alot of the talents are useless, finishing the uselessnes with a 31 points in resto 5mins CD ability that has 5 HP while you are mostly in the group with warriors to let them train others in the ground with WF totem support.

So playing a elemental shaman the way they are meant to be played yields the best results: Purge, heal alot and nuke as soon as the moment arises as elemental shamans tend to run oom when casting offensively for too long.

The only caster that doesn't run oom is warlock. If the shaman is doing it right they will save their  high pressure, high cost abilities for when they are needed. You can kite, interrupt, stealth prevent with rank 1 shocks and should be doing damage solely with lightning bolt until you are ready to finish or need more on demand damage.

As for premades, it has as much to do with skill as it does with party make up. These private servers have a limited pool of combatants. On live, there were much more varied combinations and winners with a much larger pool of players.