I just downloaded the Vanillaguide mod and I've enjoyed leveling more this time. it tells you what order to do quests in, which ones to skip and keeps you moving between zones which can keep things feeling little fresh.

9 hours ago, Repten123 said:

What can I do to make leveling more fun and break up the monotony? I've never leveled much on x1 vanilla servers.

To me what helped immersely was to not focus on leveling but do instances at least one every day level profesions on the way always keep them up to level and zone. If this is not your 10th alt and 50th time leveling on 1x rate then 1 to 60 is quite enjoyable this way if your goal isnt lvl 60 in 5 days playtime.

I personaly enjoy eveling by grind. Turn on some stream/movie/music and grind for 4/6 hours. Get an addon that tracks kills to lvlup will make this method seem much faster.

If your goal is to lvl to 60 asap and have already main to support dont loot mobs it will save you hpirsours. have always another armor and weapon prepared every few levels sitting in mail or inventory and dont stand around city unless you learn skills.

11 hours ago, Repten123 said:

What can I do to make leveling more fun and break up the monotony? I've never leveled much on x1 vanilla servers.

I'd recommend leveling some professions as you go.   It will give you more reasoning to your grinding if you go skinning leatherworking to grind on beast.  Or Tailoring and grind more on humanoid.

Herb to give you that OMG a..... oh not high enough level.... :)

FIrst, think about what kind of player you are and what you like/dont like to do.  Are you a mob grinder? Quest chainer? Dungeon crawler?  What gets you excited and what puts you to sleep?  I like grinding mobs and dungeons, but I find questing to be somewhat tedious, so I usually only quest if there's a particular reward that I want, or if I need a little chunk of xp to get to a level (or if Ive just hit a fresh level), or if the quests are interesting, easy, or on the way.  I mostly do dungeons for fun, but they can be a good source of xp and gear.  Unfortunately it can sometimes take a long time to fill groups.

Think about what kind of mobs are good for your character to grind.  For example, if you're tailoring/enchanting you're probably best served with humanoids, or if you're a hunter who can skin you'll get the most out of beasts.  Same goes for quests.  If you're a healer you might want to focus on gathering quests, while a dpser might want to focus on kill-quota quests.

Figure out what zones you like or don't like.  You'll be able to spend more time there without getting bored.  I prefer forest/jungle zones, pretty places, and places where it rains a lot.  I sometimes avoid Duskwood because it puts me to sleep (I guess its the lighting, colors, and music, and that I'm not that into the Gothic horror themes).  You've usually got 2-4 choices of zone for any particular level, so take advantage of that if you need a change of scenery.  Find places where you feel good being, and try to get into a rhythm.  Experiment with gear and rotation.

Depending on your class, it pays to be conservative.  Dying waste a lot of time and can be annoying/demoralizing.  Its usually better to grind mobs on the lower end of your level range because you have less downtime, less consumables, and less risk. 

If you have a good gold-making scheme, keep an eye on the AH for cheap green gear.  Often you can get really good deals on gear, and I find that having some greens waiting for you can help motivate you to keep grinding for that next level, and then you're a bit more powerful when you equip. 

If you're a melee/physical character, try to keep your weapons up-to-date.  Keep searching the quest rewards on whatever database you use and be aware of potential upgrades.

Set smaller goals that you can achieve and feel good about.  Don't try to go out there and gain 3 levels at once, instead try to get, say, X stacks of cloth, or to fill up your bags a couple times.  If you can grind/quest for 6 hours at a time that's great, but the expectation to do that can be daunting.  It's better to try to grind for an hour and maybe stay longer, or take a break and then go again.  I find it relaxing to grind for a bit when I get home from work, or right before bed.

Bank alts are great, too.  It helps to grind for a bit, fill up your bags, then take a little break to mail stuff to your banker and put up some auctions.  Taking short breaks helps a lot.

I'm thoroughly enjoying leveling so far.  Bought the game on release back in 2004 and didn't really stop playing seriously until cataclysm (though i explored it a bit) and Panderia (enjoyed leveling a rogue through the under water zones but stopped playing altogether after that).  So...  for me this is a real nostalgia trip and i'm loving every minute. 

As some have said, leveling professions and doing instances is a good way to keep things fresh.  Also, i find that having a few different classes all around the same level keeps it fresh too. 

If you want to race to end-game content that obviously won't do you any good.  But for me, having a priest, mage and rogue all around the same level at all times is fun.  I get sick of what one is doing and move on to the next in a big rotation.  Also, it gives you more professions to share resources for.