Sign in to follow this  
Sobreta

Leveling a healer?

Hey guys, looking for some advice on leveling a healer. I played retail for ~10 years and mostly played healers from wrath to warlords. It's my favorite role, and I want to level one here. But with respect costs and whatnot, I'm wondering how I should go about it. Should I level as DPS? Can DPS specs heal 5 mans while leveling? Should I level as a heal spec via dungeons, and group if/when possible? Which class would you recommend? I only played druid and paladin, haven't played priest or shaman before. Suggestions welcome :)

Paladin if you plan to pvp heal a lot I'd say. Other than that Priest is probably your best bet and probably the most fun especially since you haven't played one yet. Remember that on alliance a Dwarf priest is quite clearly superior to the other races due to getting Fear Ward as racial priest skill. I'd recommend picking up Wand Specilization from Discipline and Spirit Tap from Shadow as your first priest talent points since they make leveling much eeasier. After that just pick whatever way you want to go, Holy if you want a Smite/heal spec, Shadow if you want the maximum possible damage and to obtain the Shadow Form without respeccing. You can heal the 5 man dungeons even if you don't spend any of your talent points lol.

At L40 you can and should get Shadow form by putting 31 pts into Shadow tree. It will up your dps a lot and make the journey to 60 smoooth.

1 hour ago, Pwnana said:

Remember that on alliance a Dwarf priest is quite clearly superior to the other races due to getting Fear Ward as racial priest skill.

One thing to beware of with "Fear Ward", Not all fears are created, or countered the same. Can't tell you how annoying to discover "Terror" is not "Fear". 

So if I wanted to level a paladin in actual heal spec would I do better to PVP and just random dungeon grind my way to 60? Can ret or prot heal random 5 mans until at least 50ish or so so I can quest, too? I never leveled a paladin before BC (and leveled prot), don't know what to expect but it's always been my favorite class.

Priest sounds like my next go, though, since it sounds like I can level as normal and pop into dungeons to heal and do quests.

Also stoneskin remove blind cuz in vanilla blind is a physical thing. Which is big versus rogues.