brookzilla39

Best Professions For Leveling First Character

I'm just starting my first character on this server (and first vanilla character since retail).  I want to pay more attention to professions than I used to, so I'm trying to decide what direction to go.  

• I know skinning/LW is probably the easiest to level as a rogue, but I doubt it makes any money.  
  • It seems like herb/alch is the way to make money... but it also seems like there's a serious herb shortage which would make leveling it hell until I get a mount at least

Any suggestions for first character professions that I can be doing while leveling? Should I just stick to skin/LW for now, and grab herb/alch once I'm 40-60? Are mining, enchanting, tailoring worth considering for any reason (as a rogue)?  Was hoping through the use of professions while leveling I could ease some of the need for farming, and have gold for a mount by time I hit 40.

Thanks!

I'm at lvl 29 with my first char, I picked mining + engi. Can't make much money from professions, not just yet and not enough to get me a mount in 10 lvls. I do have 30g which I consider to be quite a lot for my lvl, however this I gained through playing the AH, few lucky drops and like ~7g out of it I made by selling mats/shotguns etc.

My point is that not sure how other professions are, but likely you won't be making much money off them in low lvls, better stick to other means (like playing the AH)

on elysium how is anyone leveling mining on pace with their character level? (without buying ore on ah to smelt)?

tailoring and skinning provide their own mats, but mining has been very slow due to population in leveling zones (a great problem to have of course).  Not sure if herbalism has a similar issue, if so, that would impact alch. as well.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:44 PM, nualkrisaarx said:

on elysium how is anyone leveling mining on pace with their character level? (without buying ore on ah to smelt)?

tailoring and skinning provide their own mats, but mining has been very slow due to population in leveling zones (a great problem to have of course).  Not sure if herbalism has a similar issue, if so, that would impact alch. as well.

around level 25 i had to go back to grind some iron. But after that i didn't have any issues.

Bump! I'm back again, only made it to level 25 last year and starting over with another try. Is there still a shortage of nodes for herbalism/mining in starting zones? If so, I'll grab skinning/tailoring... otherwise I'd like to go herb/alch.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:57 AM, Luwoo said:

I'm at lvl 29 with my first char, I picked mining + engi. Can't make much money from professions, not just yet and not enough to get me a mount in 10 lvls. I do have 30g which I consider to be quite a lot for my lvl, however this I gained through playing the AH, few lucky drops and like ~7g out of it I made by selling mats/shotguns etc.

My point is that not sure how other professions are, but likely you won't be making much money off them in low lvls, better stick to other means (like playing the AH)

I really think you are playing the AH wrong if you only have 30g at 29.  You should have a few hundred by now.