Sign in to follow this  
Dralek

Realm copy = potential for gold/item duping?

Given characters will be "copy/pasted" from one db to the other, and exist simultaneously in the Vanilla database and the BC database, there is a potential for item and gold duping.

For example after having one character copied into TBC realm with all its gold and items, one could simply log in the vanilla realm (where the character still exists) and transfer gold/items to another character on another account, and then have that account transfer, and so on, and so on.

I wanted to point this out early before TBC came out, because this has the potential for trouble.

• Characters will be copied like the PTR realm. When your server is able to proceed to TBC, your characters will automatically be copied over.

They all will be copied at once

Pretty easy fix.

When the characters are copied like for PTR, give the characters that were copied an item like the Zeth'Kur transfer ticket.
That item can't be destroyed, vendored or anything. It's bound to your character and will never leave your inventory/bank.

Then when new character copy waves come, just exclude all character that have this item and also prevent trade/mail to new characters on related accounts, that do not have this item.

Automatic copy (not transfer) without player input entirely circumvents the issue.

5 hours ago, Phoosy said:

Automatic copy (not transfer) without player input entirely circumvents the issue.

cool thnx (:

Will the copy of our characters on same accounts or shall we create a new one? In first case will be a possibility to change my acc. login and pass. data?

On 9/19/2017 at 3:40 PM, Dralek said:

Given characters will be "copy/pasted" from one db to the other, and exist simultaneously in the Vanilla database and the BC database, there is a potential for item and gold duping.

For example after having one character copied into TBC realm with all its gold and items, one could simply log in the vanilla realm (where the character still exists) and transfer gold/items to another character on another account, and then have that account transfer, and so on, and so on.

I wanted to point this out early before TBC came out, because this has the potential for trouble.

I'm sure it's a one time thing, meaning you won't be able to transfer at a later point and do as you suggested. If so I'm sure they will remove all gold/resources to characters before transferring and only allow soulbound items on unique characters to be transferred.