Sign in to follow this  
ScottK1994

How long does it take to learn pet skills

I was a bit late in going around and taming beasts for skills and their higher ranks. 

Do I need to get my pets loyalty to level 2 before the skill is kept in my 'Beast Training' book? And if so, do I need to gain 5% exp at my current level in order to get it to level 2?

Well I found out I don't need to get it to loyalty level 2 but it doesn't happen straight away, so does anyone have an idea of how long it takes with a pet until you get a skill? 

I can't find any sources on this question

Learning Pet Skills from (newly) Tamed Pets does not require any particular Loyalty or Happiness level on the Pet's part.  Learning the Pet's Skill(s) is purely a RNG check done every time they use a Pet Skill that your Hunter doesn't know already.

That's it.

To learn a Pet Skill, you just have them use the Skill ... and keep using it ... until you learn it.

Skills that don't require a Target (Dash, Dive, Shell Shield, for example) you can learn by parking in an Inn or City and just clicking the skill every time it comes off cooldown.  For attack skills like Claw and Bite and so on, you can go to any starter zone (or City) and have your Pet start attacking the critters there (Rats, Sheep, Roaches, Deer, Squirrels, Rabbits, need I go on?) until you learn the Pet Skill.

It's a good idea to go ahead and Feed your newly Tamed Pet to raise their Happiness just so they don't run off and abandon you before you learn their Pet Skill(s) (at which point, you abandon them to get back to your "main" combat Pet that you'd parked in the Stables).

There is no "requirement" to learn all of the ranks of Pet Skills.  So yea, you can "skip" learning specific ranks for particular Skills if you want.  If your Pet is already Level 60, you can just get the highest rank of the Skills you want to put on your Pet and not bother with any of the lower ranks for that Skill.

Reasons why you might want to go with the collector mentality of "gotta get 'em all, gotta get 'em all" is for (yes) Completeness ... but also in case you ever decide to pick up a different Pet (especially a lower level one) and want to grind them up towards Level 60 too.  If you've "got" all the skill ranks available to you, then you can just bump up the ranks on your Pet's Skills as you grind levels for them.

Anytime you advance in ranks between Skills, you're only paying the difference in the cost between the two ranks.  So if rank 2 costs 4 TP and rank 4 costs 10 TP, and you skip from rank 2 to rank 4 on your Pet, it'll only cost you an extra 6 TP to go from rank 2 to rank 4 (because 10-4=6).  There's no "need" to have rank 3 in between.  It's "nice to have" rank 3 in between, especially if you're a completionist collector, but it's not necessary.

10 hours ago, ScottK1994 said:

Alright thanks, that's everything I want to know just now then:)

If you need any more, there's a lengthy tutorial on pets in section 3.2.2 of the Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux] thread on these forums. :D