Sign in to follow this  
Pieces

The future of the Elysium Project

Now that the forums are back up, I wanted to give my personal opinions about which direction could best for the Elysium Project going forward. Also, to those of you who have stuck around after all this drama, I am interested in hearing your opinion's on the topic as well.

First and foremost, I don't condone or stand behind what the Elysium team did in any way, shape, or form. It was a complete betrayal and spit in the face to anyone and everyone who supported the Elysium Project; especially those who invested time and money into it. There is no denying that, and the strong feelings that most people currently have towards the Elysium Project is completely understandable and warranted. However, what's done is done, and continuing to beat a dead horse isn't going to get us anywhere, is it? So I want to talk about the future of the Elysium Project, or better, WILL there be a future for the Elysium Project? Is it possible for this project to move forward at this point after it's reputation has been shattered? If it did, could it be successful in any way?

My personal opinion is that the Elysium Project can move forward and be successful (although likely not as much as it was) if they handle the situation they're in delicately, but sincerely. I personally, do not think anyone is beyond a second chance. If most of the classic wow community is willing to give WhiteKidney a second chance after having a 7-10 year reputation of being a gold seller and exploiter, as well as the malicious way he handled this whole situation (stealing the server, deleting the forums etc.), if everyone is fine with giving him a second chance and letting him run the Light's Hope project, then should we not also consider giving the original Elysium Project a second chance as well? As I said before, I don't stand behind anything the Elysium Project did, it was fucked up and I am still pissed about it; but if we look at someone like WhiteKidney and say "Well, he's changed, he isn't like that anymore now." then I think we should at least consider extending the same courtesy to the Elysium Project and at least give them the opportunity to try and make up for their mistakes and abuses. Perhaps being caught and getting the amount of backlash that they've gotten, as well as the realization that they completed destroyed their own reputation... maybe that is what was needed to happen in order for them to look at themselves in the mirror and make a change for the better. I'm sure most people won't agree with that, but like I said, I don't think anyone is beyond a second chance or that they are incapable of changing. I would like to believe that after this whole fiasco the Elysium Project has indeed changed, and I would be open to giving them the opportunity to prove that to us themselves with actions, not just words.

So what would it take for the Elysium Project to move forward and continue being relevant or having a presence in the classic wow community?

Well, first off, they would need to not only admit their mistakes and apologize for them, but show the community that they are actually sincere about it. They would have to vow that they have changed and will never make the same mistakes again in the future. They would have to genuinely be regretful of their actions and willing to take the backlash and insults in stride until the project is able to move passed it. Basically, they punched everyone in the face and now for the foreseeable future they are going to have to deal with randoms just showing up and shit talking or trolling for awhile. In my opinion, it's just something they are going to have to accept and deal with for the time being (of course not to the point of harassment) because people are upset, and they have every right to be.

The second thing they would need is something to actually offer the community. Since Light's Hope stole the Elysium, Anathema, and Darrowshire servers, everyone's characters are on 2 different projects now and to be honest, most players would rather continue their characters on Light's Hope, than Elysium given everything that has happened. One thing that is pretty obvious that they can offer, is a fresh server, especially considering Light's Hope doesn't seem interested in doing one themselves. There is a pretty sizable portion of the community who would prefer to play on a fresh server, rather than the already established ones, or the ones where all the characters and gold were created and injected into. By starting a new fresh Elysium server, they would be able to gain back some of their previous player base that left when they were exposed. And depending on how they handle the new fresh server, as well as if they stay true to their word of never repeating their passed mistakes, well that would determine whether or not those players would stick around and whether or not the project in general would be successful.

TLDR:  Basically, they destroyed their own reputation and player base and they now have to build it back up from square one. Assuming they want to make a change for the better and never repeat their previous mistakes, in my opinion, their best course of action would be to just start from scratch again. Accept the fact that they detrimentally damaged themselves and that the most "pure" way they can recover from this is to start with a clean server. My advice to the Elysium Project is this ... create a fresh server, don't do anything malicious, don't repeat passed mistakes, expect and accept to be working under scrutiny for the time being, and just build your project back up one player at a time. Build a new reputation for yourselves and hopefully in the future people will care more about the project you have become, rather than the one that you once were.

Edited by Pieces
typos

1 hour ago, Pieces said:

...if everyone is fine with giving him a second chance and letting him run the Light's Hope project, then should we not also consider giving the original Elysium Project a second chance as well?

The thing is, we already gave Elysium Project their second chance back in February when the first drama came out. Now we would have to give them a 3rd chance and based on what I have heard from Shenna/Crogge, that's unfortunately not gonna happen.

i am done with privat Server and the drama around it....

i do Not care If it called elysium , Lights Hope or whatever. Same shit different People .

i expect some Kind of bullshit on lights hope in a few weeks 

Yes I agree about the fresh server. Lets be real here; it took a while for elysium to get back up. People had plenty of time to connect to lights hope (or any other server). To reconnect back to elysium would take work, and the willingness for players to discard all their work they have since done on lights hope. I myself havent connected to lights hope because I dont agree with that they have done even if it was "to take the server away from exploiting devs" or whatever. So i suspect that the old servers will not be a major drawing point for elysium. However a lot of people absolutely love to roll on fresh servers. Making a new fresh server could pull back a few old people as well as some new people for a fresh start.

There's no future for this project.

I'm not against the project or anything - it's their server and they can do whatever they want. It's just not something for me.

The people who donated, donated by their own free will, so technically they didn't steal anything. It was wrong of them to spend it the way they though and sell characters.

Doubt they'll be able to recover from this.

You cannot play on this project again after what Shenna and Crogge did. What they did is simply too hard to forgive, the trust is forever gone.

Good luck to all those foolish enough to play here.

2 hours ago, Amph said:

You cannot play on this project again after what Shenna and Crogge did. What they did is simply too hard to forgive, the trust is forever gone.

But Whitekidney is a thief. So no one left to trust.

14 minutes ago, Aveton said:

But Whitekidney is a thief. So no one left to trust.

Why should he be considered a thief? It's not like he single-handedly stole something that did not belong to him and forced everyone to join his server. That's the narative Crogge wants to spread and it is obviously just a defense - a weak one at that.

I'm not going to shill for WK, I can see why people have reservations when it comes to him. But the idea that he is a thief and his act is betrayel is simply wrong. The majority of the team took a vote and decided they wanted to continue with this project but not under Crogge, Shenna or Vitaly. As the three basically can not be removed, this was the only possible way. As much as they want to paint this as the ego-trip of one single person - it is not. It was the decision of the majority of the people who made Elysium possible. And they are now called Light's Hope. Everything that is left here is a name and a couple of persons that let the community down time and time again.

I am happy to continue playing on Elysium or Lights Hope, if Elysium becomes Lights Hope, as I like playing Vanilla.

But I would like to have my character replaced.  I had a level 18 Dwarf Hunter with 12 gold in the bank, 115 Mining and about 60 Herbalism.

If they are rolling back to an early September database, that's before I began playing here.  Don't want to re-grind 18 levels.

I wouldn't mind donating $10 or so to help get the new system set up right, if we had a big fundraiser for it.

I'm not through believing in a more enjoyable future of Elysium!
It takes such a long time to get the script, the servers, the whole project running in such a polished way! This is the enhanced Nostalrius Code! There's no better Code for vanilla out there up and running! Let's not throw this away easily! We all want to play! They want to make it happen! If the (formerly^^) whole Elysium Community brakes apart now and continues to demand and point fingers instead of supporting the vanilla project, we might well have a second Nostalrius-like "cataclysm" for the vanilla community. Only this time we would have to blame ourselves at least to some part in the end...
We have to look for a solution, so private servers can afford to be "blizzlike"! There has to be found a way that a private server team is able not only to live for the project by investing all their time in it, but also to live because of it!

Those guys have to be encouraged to find alongside the community new possibilities to work on the project. I don't know exactly why payment methods of past "blizzlike" projects doomed those projects - I don't have the understanding of neither international nor country-specific law - some of you might have! Some sort of payment method has to be found that doesn't doom the project to being shut down by means of law. Otherwise, the people who we are endebted to for being able to experience vanilla wow in such an exellent and almost 100% blizzlike quality will be faced again and again with the impossible choice of either shutting down the project or getting money "somehow or somewhere else"...

- just my opinion -  *continues trying to summon the pink unicorn*

Edited by Elwing