Sign in to follow this  
Bjarki06

Openly bragging about depopulating the servers

I find it kind of frustrating logging on every day to see people crowing about how they're going to abandon the server in a week to go play on WoW classic where the servers are 'more populated' and how everyone else is a stupid peasant for not doing so over a measly $15.  In several areas on Nighthaven I have had to wait in a queue for mobs to respawn so I can kill them for a quest and people still say the server lacks population. I don't think those people ever played WoW on release date because everything except Ironforge was more or less abandoned after the first 6 months and world pvp was dead.

I played WoW since release date and the experience that I've found on Elysium servers, while not perfect, is far superior to the state of WoW today. If your reason for playing WoW is to endlessly grind a glorified capture the flag game in battlegrounds or sit in a raid dungeon for hours doing almost nothing in the hope of receiving some purple gloves, then maybe I can see why you'd want to lick Blizzard's boots and give them $15 a month to play a 16 year old game that they ruined, but the people talking every day in chat about how it will be so worth it to have slightly better latency and higher realm pop are incredibly annoying. I personally went back to Vanilla WoW because there are places in Azeroth that I remember with extreme fondness.  Nights when I just arrived in a new city in real life knowing no one yet, went to the store, stocked up on my favourite food and drink and settled down to a night exploring Feralas or Arathi Highlands until 4am. Exploring Azeroth and reading the stories that have been worked into the quest dialogue gives me much more satisfaction than spamming action buttons until i kill a random PvE boss. Finding a little hidden village or corner of the map that ties into Warcraft III that hardly anybody goes to gives me more of a sense of achievement than collecting a piece of rare digital armour, and I can do those things just as well on Elysium as on a Blizzard server. World PvP requires server pop however and I do love the world PvP here.

I haven't been here that long and I've met some amazing people on Elysium's servers already. There is a great community here. If people are excited about WoW Classic that's great, but it's getting really annoying in the run up to release date to be lectured by blizzard fanboys about how immoral I am for playing here and not going over to Classic when it launches.

I'm sure this will all stop in a week's time but I'd love to hear from the community managers if they have any plans or projections for keeping their servers running and populated in the next few months and what their plans will be if there is an exodus away. I personally am planning to stay.

I wish we could predict the future but it seems like there are quite a few people that want to stay true vanilla. Some want TBC experiences. I think that on classic release some will try it, some may not. What we can do is keep moving forward, fixing bugs and doing our best to create a place people want to spend time and play. We just have to focus on us and what were doing and not worry much about what others are doing.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bjarki06 said:

I find it kind of frustrating logging on every day to see people crowing about how they're going to abandon the server in a week to go play on WoW classic where the servers are 'more populated' and how everyone else is a stupid peasant for not doing so over a measly $15.  In several areas on Nighthaven I have had to wait in a queue for mobs to respawn so I can kill them for a quest and people still say the server lacks population. I don't think those people ever played WoW on release date because everything except Ironforge was more or less abandoned after the first 6 months and world pvp was dead.

I played WoW since release date and the experience that I've found on Elysium servers, while not perfect, is far superior to the state of WoW today. If your reason for playing WoW is to endlessly grind a glorified capture the flag game in battlegrounds or sit in a raid dungeon for hours doing almost nothing in the hope of receiving some purple gloves, then maybe I can see why you'd want to lick Blizzard's boots and give them $15 a month to play a 16 year old game that they ruined, but the people talking every day in chat about how it will be so worth it to have slightly better latency and higher realm pop are incredibly annoying. I personally went back to Vanilla WoW because there are places in Azeroth that I remember with extreme fondness.  Nights when I just arrived in a new city in real life knowing no one yet, went to the store, stocked up on my favourite food and drink and settled down to a night exploring Feralas or Arathi Highlands until 4am. Exploring Azeroth and reading the stories that have been worked into the quest dialogue gives me much more satisfaction than spamming action buttons until i kill a random PvE boss. Finding a little hidden village or corner of the map that ties into Warcraft III that hardly anybody goes to gives me more of a sense of achievement than collecting a piece of rare digital armour, and I can do those things just as well on Elysium as on a Blizzard server. World PvP requires server pop however and I do love the world PvP here.

I haven't been here that long and I've met some amazing people on Elysium's servers already. There is a great community here. If people are excited about WoW Classic that's great, but it's getting really annoying in the run up to release date to be lectured by blizzard fanboys about how immoral I am for playing here and not going over to Classic when it launches.

I'm sure this will all stop in a week's time but I'd love to hear from the community managers if they have any plans or projections for keeping their servers running and populated in the next few months and what their plans will be if there is an exodus away. I personally am planning to stay.

I was gonna stay and play BC here until classic moves into BC but I can't get the flipping mac client to work now. It was working for me 2 months ago on the test realm. Since then I've got a new mac and now I can't seem to get the client working. Exact same download I used before. I've now tried numerous downloads, a mac port and building a wine client myself. At a loss. Tried everything under the sun to get this working and have flat given up.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, beerg00gles said:
Spoiler

I was gonna stay and play BC here until classic moves into BC but I can't get the flipping mac client to work now. It was working for me 2 months ago on the test realm. Since then I've got a new mac and now I can't mcdvoice seem to get the client working. Exact same download I used before. I've now tried numerous downloads, a mac port and building a wine client myself. At a loss. Tried everything under the sun to get this working and have flat given up.

Some want TBC experiences. I think that on classic release some will try it, some may not. What we can do is keep moving forward, fixing bugs and doing our best to create a place people want to spend time and play. We just have to focus on us and what were doing and not worry much about what others are doing.

Edited by gelincikgv

There are also some easier ways to boost yourself in WoW classic with more massive servers. Like I know some guys that do wow boosting (https://lfcarry.com/wow). They are good and all, but uh there are not many people here exactly because everyone leaves after playing only one week or so

Edited by Mermaid94

Exploring Azeroth and reading the stories that have been worked into the quest dialogue gives me much more satisfaction than spamming action buttons until i kill a random PvE boss. Finding a little hidden village or corner of the map that ties into Warcraft III that hardly anybody goes to gives me more of a sense of achievement than collecting a piece of rare digital armour, and I can do those things just as well on Elysium as on a Blizzard server.

I tried Classic for the first month, but the remake is too easy compared to the original game back then. At least I was able to finish the game including almost all of MC by only paying for one month. The raid mobs only have 10% hp and 10% dmg compared to videos from back then and the requirements to summon the bosses have been made very easy. We didn't even have to use tactics to kill the bosses. No lullaby shot, no extra tanks needed for boss minions, no Gheddon group split ups, just everyone hitting as if there were no boss abilities. On private servers I felt immediately like it was exactly like the original when I first tried. Some guilds have cleared MC several times per week, because it was possible at first and were max equipped within the first month already. A lot of npcs, talents, etc were like during BC times, also BC bugs were back. That is, because they used a BC version to make the remake.

Problem is of course, the more people a server has, the more people will come. I'm kinda in a loop where I feel like playing vanilla, but have to hope that there will be more people again, so it's more fun.

Perhaps something has to happen that brings everyone together at the same time.

Edited by meow321

I played almost a month of WoW Classic on Blizzard's servers. The latency issues I had were something I never experienced while playing on private servers. It's such a shame. The only fun thing was that there were many more people to play with compared to WoW Vanilla private servers (except Nostalrius in its hayday) which was one of the main reasons I wanted to try out the WoW Classic experience. Besides that, I played with my best friend for the greater part of that month and we were constantly together all the time. I didn't find any other differences between Nostalrius/Light's Hope/Kronos/Elysium or any other private Vanilla servers to those of WoW Classic. I honestly don't think that paying the subscription for a 16 year old game is worth it. I'd rather give my money to FFXIV, which I'm playing right now, and even their base content + one expansion is permanently free to try out and play, unlike WoW Classic. Last month I tried to buy one more month of WoW Classic but my friend made a mistake and bought me WoW Classic for the US instead of the EU region. I immediately refunded the order. Blizzard took my WoW time away in a matter of hours but I had to wait 10 days to get my money back (and in the end I got less money than the amount I paid, not the full price). That made me remember how much I dislike the way the company is run and what they are doing to their other games and how they business practices look like. I don't plan to support Blizzard ever again.

Eventually, people will start to repopulate these private servers once the Chinese gold farmers and classic content tires people out. WoW Classic has a huge problem with these farmers and exploiters/glitchers and the Blizzard Devs are not doing anything about it unlike what the Devs on these private servers have been doing since beginning. That is something that Blizzard can look upon and learn. Anyway, I will be seeing you on the Elysium grounds, friends.

PS: If I had any power I would try to consolidate small private servers into a bigger one like Elysium and increased the player number in that way.