Sign in to follow this  
hotdwarfsixpack

The Case for 'Gummycraft' in Raiding on the New Release

If the argument here is that the server should be exactly as hard as it was back in the day, then the only way to achieve this with 100% guaranteed accuracy would be to return talent trees to their previous forms. I do find it interesting that people always handwave this idea away with the excuse, "Well they'll never do that." Is it not equally unlikely that they will buff the content by some arbitrary amount to make it "feel" more like it did back in '05? 

If you want it to be 100% blizzlike, you should be advocating for 1.8 talents on the PvP server and 1.1 talents on the fresh server. But you're not going to do that, because nobody wants that. Either take the easier difficulty afforded to you by the convenience of having superior 1.12 talents, or push for those talent trees to be returned to their previous incarnations. Anything else misses the mark and is an inferior attempt at fixing an issue whose solution is sitting in broad daylight. 

Edited by Denbts

Before I dig my self deeper into this post, let me first state that I agree with Walgrave for the most of his post.

I am completely sold on idea for content being more difficult, mostly just because I have cleared most of it more then once. I would not mind having content buffed, but the problem is that it won't solve anything.

Yes, progression kill and first couple of runs after might be harder then they originally are but after we get few pieces of shiny gear we will find our self again swimming in the same pond. Bottom line, that is only temporary solution.

However, I like that you mention Gummy-style Razorgore, That's the way to go, imo. Change the fights, put players into uncharted water, now that would be a long term solution. Imagine, say, Lucifron fight. Have him spawn another 2 adds, on top of his usual curse and magic, every 30 seconds. Or, say, Gehenas. Why not make Gehenas vulnerable to damage only couple of seconds after you kill adds. Then spawn another 2 adds after 30 seconds, Couple that with his curse and rain of fire...and so on...I'm just brainfarting here, but wouldn't that bring back some real excitement more then just buffing damage, buffing hp, etc...?

There are few realistic problems tho. 

First of all, that would cost. Time and money. People are already funding servers just to keep things running as they are...

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, who give us right to say what's good and what's wrong for the other people? Idk about you, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to change their opinion on this topic whatsoever. They have the right to play game they want it to play. And ofc, you can say that we are finding our self on the wrong side of the dick and that we are not getting what we want. But like Undertanker said, it comes with territory. We get the bragging rights on forums and in our guild chats.

Cheers. Was nice reading topic of someone who share same basic view on this issue as I do. 

Edited by Elviss

I totally agree with topic creator. Please do this.

The whole thing with vanilla is that it was a mystery, and thus everything was ALOT harder, I mean generally it's harder then retail even now with all this information, but before it was even harder. Incase one wants to rewrite mechanics or do anything that would take years to accomplish, simply higher the difficulty by what the topic creator said, hp, damage, resistance etc etc. Simple way to plain it out.

Edited by Astralogion

1 hour ago, mozibake said:

If things are too easy because you've been doing them over and over every week for 12 years then what you need is a new game, tbh. And maybe some autism meds.

bruh if you get to 60 and think the game as its presented is any challenge maybe you're the one with autism.

13 hours ago, mozibake said:

Not anymore, it might have been difficult 12 years ago when we were all 14 years old and didn't know what the hell was going on, which was kind of my point.  It's not like that anymore.  Ticking up a few health and resistance sliders on bosses isn't going to make the game you've been autistically playing for 18 hours a day the past 12 years suddenly feel fresh and new again. 

Knowledge only plays one point into the difficulty back then.

Shitty mechanics and talent trees make up two other significantly large points, and the effects of those can be diminished by jacking HP/armor/resist up. Scriptcraft was a great example

From what I understand, the pug that cleared MC ~last week was incredibly fresh and didn't use a single flask and destroyed rag without any real problems. Why should people invest time in running dungeons if regressed gear is barely required to complete all available content?

can you imagine how easy it'll be with updated gear? let alone a full roster of 60s?

Edited by Ironsides

I really wish some of these more popular projects would be buffing content... I have been championing this on Corecraft only to see it all go down the drain. There are ways to make raids more exciting, not to the extent that they become impossible for pugs or casual guilds, but to the extent that their abilities actually get used so everyone gets to see a decent challenge in raids.

An example:

Firelords: lava spawns spawn each 5-7 seconds and multiply each 5-7 seconds.

I assume boss fights can be tweaked in a much easier way, though.

To me, the spirit of vanilla wasn't stagnation but constant changes with every patch. I agree that buffs to content's difficulty are needed, else things will get old really, really fast.

13 hours ago, Kazuma said:

Now mc is cleared people want it more difficult. I say strip away the mc gear and then tune-up the encounter.

People cleared MC without any MC gear. They cleared it with shitty 1.2 gear. Needs a huge overhaul

One of the first things that Elysium can do is nerf consumables by stripping away any buff you have upon entering a raid instance with flasks being the exception.  World buffs are ridiculously overpowered as it is.  They could also go the tbc route with battle elixirs and such but stripping world buffs away first would be a step in the right direction.

A flat 15-20% buff to content would help alleviate some of the issues around talents not scaling to current content