Raziya

Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux]

Oh, yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that. While I'm at it, I'll cover arrows for raiding and stuff, since you asked about pre-raid BiS...

For hardcore progression, you may impress your guild by keeping a stock of Doomshots from LBRS around. It should come in handy in places like AQ and Naxx. Miniature Cannon Balls from Strat UD are the bullet counterpart, but unless you have Larvae of the Great Worm and really crappy luck on getting Ashjre'thul, Crossbow of Smiting, they're kind of unimportant.

Otherwise, Thorium-Headed Arrows or Thorium Shells is what I would ask hunters to keep for raids. I actually don't always use Thorium-Headed, like in Blackwing Lair, I pull for suppression room. So, I use Jagged Arrows to nab hatchers with my rank 1 Arcane Shots to avoid wasting more valuable ammo... but that's kind of a niche position to be in. Ice-threaded arrows and their equivalent bullets from Alterac Valley can be conveniently bought from the vendor, but don't be a casual! Just mine or buy some thorium and dense stone and stock up on THAs. With the gold that drops from raid bosses, it ain't too hard to keep enough of 'em around.

As for quiver, you can find a 16s, 15% RAS Harpy Hide Quiver through Alterac Valley. from either the Stormpike or Frostwolf Supply Officers. Leveling up, you can find quivers from leatherworkers or from certain vendors in cities. The level 30 Heavy Quiver, 14s and 12% RAS, can be found off a vendor in Undercity or Ironforge and I'd certainly recommend it at 30. Quickdraw Quiver is another good one at level 40, and that's a leatherworker's job. Once you get the Ancient Petrified Leaf from Molten Core, you can get an 18s 15% RAS quiver by turning in blue dragon sinew to the Ancient who gives you the bow.

On 4/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, Raziya said:

It's tough, for sure, but not impossible! And totally worth it.

If you want to try for them, I'd recommend finding a timer and sticking to it, coming back and/or logging on to check for them before the timer is up. You could also try logging your hunter at one of the spawn locations and playing an alt until a server crash, if it's happening often for some reason. Server restarts will not respawn things! Server crashes will, and those are quite unpredictable. You could also do the old-fashioned way of camping it AFK, putting on a movie or doing some chores or whatever it is you have to do, and taming it as soon as it's up. However, this isn't really practical for Broken Tooth or Lupos given their multiple spawn locations. On the plus side, I've seen them just up with no one taming them a couple of times as a result!

If you want more information on pets, the pet tutorial came out recently. See section 3.2.2 in the OP of this thread for a link.

fustercluck.jpg

is the LBRS wolf worth getting over a normal cat?

49 minutes ago, greenkomodo said:

is the LBRS wolf worth getting over a normal cat?

You mean over Deathmaw? :p I'm gonna give you a raiding-oriented response:

The LBRS wolf is an important tame for hunters on account of having Bite 8. Coincidentally also has Dash 3 and Furious Howl 4. If you want the BiS wolf, Lupos (if he still does shadow damage) is indubitably the most powerful raiding pet. He has been nerfed on Anathema only, to my knowledge. Otherwise, the Slavering Worg from SFK or Deathmaw, the Burning Steppes rare, have 1.2 attack speeds and are considered marginally better than other wolves.

Cats are competitors for damage in raids. Some speculate they're even better than wolves, and it's important to know how exactly Furious Howl works to figure this: Not only does it have a 15 yard range, so it may not be applied the first time in the fight, among other moments where your pet may be out, and it's applied at the end of calculations. If a crit is 1000, and Furious Howl is applied to it, it's going to be added after the crit is calculated, so it'll be like 1050 or something, not very much higher. With four melee being buffed ideally, roughly an extra 200 damage every 10 seconds, 1200 every minute, that's 20 extra DPS your wolf is providing the raid. If a cat can do 20 DPS more than a wolf is dealing via its own attacks, it's safe to say it's, uhh... doing more overall damage, but that's just the theory.

A very sought-after cat for PvP is Broken Tooth, and he's a little monster you can see in the pet tutorial. Normal cats? *shrugs* They go up to 2.0 speed, but I'd say faster is generally better, even for PvE.

Pardon, kind of scatterbrained right now. Hope I answered your question :)

2 minutes ago, Raziya said:

You mean over Deathmaw? :p I'm gonna give you a raiding-oriented response:

The LBRS wolf is an important tame for hunters on account of having Bite 8. Coincidentally also has Dash 3 and Furious Howl 4. If you want the BiS wolf, Lupos (if he still does shadow damage) is indubitably the most powerful raiding pet. He has been nerfed on Anathema only, to my knowledge. Otherwise, the Slavering Worg from SFK or Deathmaw, the Burning Steppes rare, have 1.2 attack speeds and are considered marginally better than other wolves.

Cats are competitors for damage in raids. Some speculate they're even better than wolves, and it's important to know how exactly Furious Howl works to figure this: Not only does it have a 15 yard range, so it may not be applied the first time in the fight, among other moments where your pet may be out, and it's applied at the end of calculations. If a crit is 1000, and Furious Howl is applied to it, it's going to be added after the crit is calculated, so it'll be like 1050 or something, not very much higher. With four melee being buffed ideally, roughly an extra 200 damage every 10 seconds, 1200 every minute, that's 20 extra DPS your wolf is providing the raid. If a cat can do 20 DPS more than a wolf is dealing via its own attacks, it's safe to say it's, uhh... doing more overall damage, but that's just the theory.

A very sought-after cat for PvP is Broken Tooth, and he's a little monster you can see in the pet tutorial. Normal cats? *shrugs* They go up to 2.0 speed, but I'd say faster is generally better, even for PvE.

Pardon, kind of scatterbrained right now. Hope I answered your question :)

Marvellous, as always.

1 minute ago, greenkomodo said:

What's the best way of hunter making money? Any instances we can solo ?

Aye. Sadly, DM N farming isn't possible unless you're on Kronos, and that's a walk in the park. Lots of fun, lots of gold. However, we can still solo Maraudon, and you'll find a guide to that in section 3.2.2 in the OP. There is a comment that suggests farming only Tinker is more efficient, and that some servers may not have the instance lockout in effect! If that notion intrigues you, please refer to the comments.

What is our stat priority? I have 2 items I'm not sure which is better..

Trousers of Destruction or Beaststalker's pants? I'm on Elysium srever.

13 minutes ago, greenkomodo said:

What is our stat priority? I have 2 items I'm not sure which is better..

Trousers of Destruction or Beaststalker's pants? I'm on Elysium srever.

Do you mean... Leggings of Destruction? From DM N?

It's tough. According to my friend's spreadsheet, Beaststalker's Pants are better overall; you get 52 RAP and 0.49% crit from them as opposed to 28 RAP and 1.26% crit from Leggings of Destruction.

There's been some debate in this thread here:
https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/39599-hunter-stat-priority-and-stat-values/

About stat weights. It might be worth a look if you'd like more insight or speculation, but the gist of it is that losing 0.77 crit for 24 AP is probably worth it.

16 hours ago, Raziya said:

It's tough. According to my friend's spreadsheet, Beaststalker's Pants are better overall; you get 52 RAP and 0.49% crit from them as opposed to 28 RAP and 1.26% crit from Leggings of Destruction.

https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/39599-hunter-stat-priority-and-stat-values/

About stat weights. It might be worth a look if you'd like more insight or speculation, but the gist of it is that losing 0.77 crit for 24 AP is probably worth it.

I see, thank you very much.

What should my rotation be on trash? For boss it quite obvious just alternate between MS and AS with serpent sting?

Hi Raziya,

Thank you for making these guides, they are super helpful.  One question I have, is why not also include the rock giant Landslide in your Maraudon farm route?  I believe it is soloable, and as a small detour seems like it would increase your gold per hour.

Thoughts?

Also, if you have any other gold farming secrets/alternatives to Mara, we would love to know.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Ezro said:

Hi Raziya,

Thank you for making these guides, they are super helpful.  One question I have, is why not also include the rock giant Landslide in your Maraudon farm route?  I believe it is soloable, and as a small detour seems like it would increase your gold per hour.

Thoughts?

Also, if you have any other gold farming secrets/alternatives to Mara, we would love to know.  Thank you!

Is it do able with a 60 cat? I just cba to level a boar from 49-50. I don't even know what would be the best way, killing level 58ish lvl mobs or mobs around the same level as my pet or taking to a level 60 dungeon?

2 hours ago, Ezro said:

Hi Raziya,

Thoughts?

You're very welcome! It's my pleasure.

Landslide is just plain annoying. Has a stun, summons adds, don't really like him. Princess at least drops two items after she pelts you with rocks, you know? That said, Landslide's most expensive item sells for like 3g. My current route with tinker > Princess > croc takes just enough time to fit five runs into the reset window, if I'm actually paying attention and running at maximum speed. Usually I just kinda AFK in there and come back once in a while to kill a boss or reset. :p

Sure, there are plenty of alternatives. There's E'ko, which is always valuable, at least on Anathema. You can raid Winterspring for specific sorts of E'ko and it will drop for everyone in your party, so there's no harm in bringing friends! This is why casters sometimes attend Frostmaul E'ko raids - they don't necessarily need them themselves, but they still get some from being in the raid. You'll have to check your server's E'ko prices to see if it's any worth it.

If you do need to level a pet, my recommendation of the Altar of Storms in the Blasted Lands will net you a steady income as you grind. Just return to Nethergarde or Stonard every time your bags get full to sell the gray vendor trash and mail off the cloth, potions, greens, etc. Not only did I (with two free 16-slot bags) make like ~10-15g each trip while leveling Impetus from ~50-60 there purely from vendor trash, but I also gained a lot more from AHing the potions, cloth, and enchanting mats I got from the greens.

Speaking of which, there is no better way to make gold than by learning to play the auction house. I really, really don't like to do it, so I try to avoid it, but I recommend it anyway. You may be surprised by how easy it is to take advantage of some markets. Just get yourself an addon, like Aux (which I believe has this function in vanilla), that can scan the AH over the course of a few days to see how market prices fluctuate. Then, if it sees anything below regular market value, it will buy it out for you so you can repost it higher. Easy, but tedious. Have fun with that.

My other recommendation for the auction house is simply to use it. If some lowbie begs me for a gold, whether I give him a bit or not, I tell 'em first, "Auction off your cloth and greens while leveling." It makes such a huge difference! I had my mount, a few 16-slot bags, and enough gold to powerlevel my engineering at level 40 just from casual AH use on the way up back on Nost 1.0. And I still had some to spare!

Nowadays I'm content living on the bread line so long as I can afford consumables for raids. Clearing Blackwing Lair and Molten Core nets you a healthy amount of gold each week, enough to afford consumables and have a little to spare, so that's cool.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and happy hunting.

53 minutes ago, greenkomodo said:

Is it do able with a 60 cat? I just cba to level a boar from 49-50. I don't even know what would be the best way, killing level 58ish lvl mobs or mobs around the same level as my pet or taking to a level 60 dungeon?

You can find level 60 boars in Terrordale, EPL. However, you will need to gain loyalty with it anyway, so take it everywhere for a while, kill a bunch of things, or check some locations in the pet tutorial where you can grind up some XP... if you decide to get one. As for which would be the best way, there is no faster way than grinding! Have fun ;)

Yes, Maraudon is doable with a 60 cat, but the difference in tankiness is noticeable. You may want to practice with some Beast Mastery talents, or figure out how to fit Thick Hide into your current build, then spec your cat into high armor and, if you'd like, nature resistance. Princess has windfury, at least on Anathema, which is not supposed to be a thing! So be extra diligent about pulling your pet out for Dust Clouds, send it back in time, make sure you keep enough mana for Mend Pet until she's low enough for you to just dump it all on Multi-Shots and Aimed Shots, you get the idea.

I'm wearing full T1 and Ashjre'thul at the moment (7/8 T2 ;~; pls halp), and the pet I currently run with is my Wind Serpent, Impetus. He has a crapload of HP, nearly 4k, but doesn't have any armor. So, I do a little bit of kiting when he's low, then send him back in when he's patched up, which only needs to be done like once or twice every Princess at the speed I kill her. As a bonus, he can attack during Dust Cloud with Lightning Breath, which also pierces her thick armor. Toggling Cheetah on and off depending on boulders, I can easily outrun Princess and stop to DPS each Dust Cloud. Certainly makes the fight more interesting.

As for Rotgrip and Tinker, they're very much the same. Just feign Tinker off the first time you get aggro off your pet and he shouldn't run to you again, watch the fears, pop burst, enjoy loot. Rotgrip, glass cannon - hits like a truck, gets hit like a truck. DPS him down to a point you can burst him, mend your pet up to full, feign death, pop burst, enjoy loot.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and happy hunting.

3 hours ago, greenkomodo said:

I see, thank you very much.

What should my rotation be on trash? For boss it quite obvious just alternate between MS and AS with serpent sting?

Oh, sorry, didn't see this question.

Serpent Sting is frowned upon for being very poor damage (except on nature-vulnerable enemies in Blackwing Lair) and eating up mana. More importantly, it takes up a debuff slot. Unless you're in a PuG that doesn't care, and you don't care, don't use it. Auto Shot, Multi-Shot, and Aimed-shot only is standard, clipping or full Auto depending on the weapon you're wielding.

Hope that helps.

4 minutes ago, Raziya said:

Oh, sorry, didn't see this question.

Serpent Sting is frowned upon for being very poor damage (except on nature-vulnerable enemies in Blackwing Lair) and eating up mana. More importantly, it takes up a debuff slot. Unless you're in a PuG that doesn't care, and you don't care, don't use it. Auto Shot, Multi-Shot, and Aimed-shot only is standard, clipping or full Auto depending on the weapon you're wielding.

Hope that helps.

Thank you

Im just finding it really difficult to time things with that add on. I'm not entirely sure when I'm meant to use stuff. I believe I open up with 1x auto shot, then AS right after, then use multi shot inbetween which is at the point the red bar disappears ? My weapon is 2.40 - Saty'r bow. Sometimes on trash its not easy to get an AS as the mob just dies.

Just now, greenkomodo said:

Thank you

Im just finding it really difficult to time things with that add on. I'm not entirely sure when I'm meant to use stuff. I believe I open up with 1x auto shot, then AS right after, then use multi shot inbetween which is a tthe point the red bar disappears into the middle? My weapon is 2.40 - Saty'r bow.

Ah, Satyr's Bow is a melee bow. I'd recommend replacing it with Bloodseeker or, if it isn't out, Carapace Spine Crossbow. If you still need the hit, Blackcrow. All of those are full-auto weapons, I'm not even sure what Satyr's Bow would be.

rais_AutoShot times your Auto Shot's cooldown and charge up time. When the bar's red, your Auto Shot is charging up. Stop and pop off an Auto Shot. When it's white, your Auto Shot is on cooldown. Use your Aimed Shot or Multi-Shot, relocate, whatever you want as long as you're ready for the red again.

For "full auto" weapons, like Ashjre'thul, you should let your next Auto Shot fly out before beginning Aimed Shot, even though your Aimed Shot may come off cooldown first. For "clipped auto" weapons, like Rhok'delar, you will clip a bit of your Auto Shot by starting Aimed Shot as soon as it's off cooldown. As for Multi-Shot, just use that any time you have half a second to spare between Auto Shots, preferably as soon as it's off cooldown.

One important thing to note about weapon speed is that it actually accounts for the cooldown and charge-up of Auto Shot. So, even with the slowest weapon in the game, Ashjre'thul (or Steelarrow Crossbow, but that's pointless trivia), you will still never be able to fit an Aimed Shot perfectly between Auto Shots. With a 2.9 second cooldown and 0.5 second charge-up, your Auto Shot's charge-up will always be a tenth of a second late after an Aimed Shot. ...The reason this is important to know is so that you don't overestimate the time you have and accidentally clip your Auto Shot with a .5 second Multi-Shot cast, or make other timing-related mistakes or misconceptions. With Rhok'delar's 2.9 weapon speed, for instance, you only have 2.4 seconds to run around while the rais bar is white, and the last .5 is the charge-up time.

Hope that helps.

17 minutes ago, Raziya said:

Ah, Satyr's Bow is a melee bow. I'd recommend replacing it with Bloodseeker or, if it isn't out, Carapace Spine Crossbow. If you still need the hit, Blackcrow. All of those are full-auto weapons, I'm not even sure what Satyr's Bow would be.

rais_AutoShot times your Auto Shot's cooldown and charge up time. When the bar's red, your Auto Shot is charging up. Stop and pop off an Auto Shot. When it's white, your Auto Shot is on cooldown. Use your Aimed Shot or Multi-Shot, relocate, whatever you want as long as you're ready for the red again.

For "full auto" weapons, like Ashjre'thul, you should let your next Auto Shot fly out before beginning Aimed Shot, even though your Aimed Shot may come off cooldown first. For "clipped auto" weapons, like Rhok'delar, you will clip a bit of your Auto Shot by starting Aimed Shot as soon as it's off cooldown. As for Multi-Shot, just use that any time you have half a second to spare between Auto Shots, preferably as soon as it's off cooldown.

One important thing to note about weapon speed is that it actually accounts for the cooldown and charge-up of Auto Shot. So, even with the slowest weapon in the game, Ashjre'thul (or Steelarrow Crossbow, but that's pointless trivia), you will still never be able to fit an Aimed Shot perfectly between Auto Shots. With a 2.9 second cooldown and 0.5 second charge-up, your Auto Shot's charge-up will always be a tenth of a second late after an Aimed Shot. ...The reason this is important to know is so that you don't overestimate the time you have and accidentally clip your Auto Shot with a .5 second Multi-Shot cast, or make other timing-related mistakes or misconceptions. With Rhok'delar's 2.9 weapon speed, for instance, you only have 2.4 seconds to run around while the rais bar is white, and the last .5 is the charge-up time.

Hope that helps.

Ok thanks a lot. You always start fight with Aimed Shot or start with auto attack?

Also none of those weapons are avaiable on my server Elysium. It's either this bow or Black crow but as I'm troll people say I should stick with the bow due to the +5 racial.

Just now, greenkomodo said:

Ok thanks a lot. You always start fight with Aimed Shot or start with auto attack?

Also none of those weapons are avaiable on my server Elysium. It's either this bow or Black crow but as I'm troll people say I should stick with the bow due to the +5 racial.

Pre-cast Aimed Shot if your tank is pulling, sure. Just don't pull aggro from the get-go, make sure your tank will pick it up just fine or you have FD. If you're already engaged, there is no harm in starting with an Auto Shot before your first Aimed Shot, especially if it can proc Quick Shots.

Really? Not even Carapace Spine Crossbow from Strat UD? Well then, go for Blackcrow. Satyr's Bow is absolutely not a good choice, to my knowledge. I believe the racial boosts your hit chance by 3%, but you should be able to get your hit chance up just fine without it. The area where weapon skills really helps is when you're a melee DPS, like a rogue or warrior, which is why so many rogues and warriors roll human on the Alliance - the racial helps to prevent glancing blows, something we hunters don't have to deal with.

If you absolutely need the hit for Tranq Shot fights, keep Satyr's Bow on you just for that, or get a Warmonger. It should do crappy DPS compared to Blackcrow but you won't miss your Tranq Shots, and that's the important part.

On 17.4.2017 at 0:05 AM, Raziya said:

/facepalm

16 hours ago, kauerle said:

/facepalm

It would be more helpful if you offered more information if I'm referencing the wrong place. Link to the right place, please.

Raziya, can't say enough about what you have done for the hunter community! I think anyone - from first time players to some of the most veteran - have learned at least something from your nostalrius and elysium threads, I know I have. Thank you.

And of course I have a request! I'm having trouble making a macro that CASTs on my nearest enemy for situations where I need to wing clip, but i want to keep my target from afar. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, dogg said:

Raziya, can't say enough about what you have done for the hunter community! I think anyone - from first time players to some of the most veteran - have learned at least something from your nostalrius and elysium threads, I know I have. Thank you.

And of course I have a request! I'm having trouble making a macro that CASTs on my nearest enemy for situations where I need to wing clip, but i want to keep my target from afar. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks very much! I try my best :D

Hmm. If you need to quickly re-acquire the target far away, auto target macros will enable that if you position yourself correctly, but as for a specific macro, I suppose the target-last-target script would be the most precise.

I'm afraid I can't hop on right now to test this myself, but hopefully something like this will work:
/script ClearTarget() end
/script TargetNearestEnemy() end
/cast Wing Clip(rank x)
/script TargetLastEnemy() end

Turn towards target in melee, hit macro. If it works, great! If not, I'll try and figure out an alternative when I'm back.

If you'd like to play with it yourself in the meantime, the functions do the following, in case you want the specifics:
1. Clears selected target.
2. Targets anything in front of you.
3. Casts Wing Clip (adjust or omit rank)
4. Targest last enemy. The "TargetLastTarget" command could also work.

Here's the API list if you want to toy around with functions: http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Warcraft_API

4 hours ago, dogg said:

Not workin as intended, ill mess around with that database you linked tho!

Darn. Okay.

I have yet to do the 'Execution' tutorial but for quick retargeting, you can make use of positioning and TargetNearestEnemy to quickly acquire a new target. No need to click on a new target, only need to point your character in the direction and hit any macro. It's pretty precise! Cycling targets rapidly takes a little practice for sure, but it's definitely faster than anything else, with the exception of a macro like that instantly switches target and back.

If only mouseover macros were a thing...