Sign in to follow this  
BarkingSpiders

Mind Flay only ticking 2x instead of 3x?

I seem to be having a problem where every 3rd or 4th Mind Flay only ticks 2 times for the dmg, rather than 3 like it's supposed to. I'm using the spammable Mind Flay addon so it's not that I am casting them too quickly and canceling the channeling of it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

You're using an addon to allow you to spam Mind Flay, and you immediately dismiss the notion that the casts are too frequent and the duration is being cut short?

Have you tried casting Mind Flay without the addon? Does this happen when you leave a second delay between casts, or only when cast in rapid succession?

Even if I cast it without the macro, just the spell itself and count to 2 or 3 before recasting. Some casts just only tick 2 times during the duration of the spell, other times its the full 3 ticks. I check combat log and it says "is affected by Mind Flay" followed by the damage of Mind Flay. Sometimes there is only 2 ticks of dmg between the "is affected by Mind Flay" message.

I just made the point of saying I use a spammable add on / macro that prevents me from starting the cast over again before the first one finishes, because of course the first question I'll get is "Are you recasting too soon?". But yeah even just casting once then waiting a second, then going again, still sometimes only gets 2 ticks of dmg.

33 minutes ago, BarkingSpiders said:

Some casts just only tick 2 times during the duration of the spell, other times its the full 3 ticks

Statements like this make me immediately think "user error." If it works sometimes, then sometimes you're doing something different.

What is your connection like? Try waiting a little longer in between casts. Give yourself sufficient time to ensure no casts are being clipped be a second cast. It is entirely possible even a second or two delay is not enough.

Also, are you being damaged and having the cast knocked back? Are you testing this on mobs (that will hit you back) or players (who won't hit back)? 

I just made the point of saying I use a spammable add on / macro that prevents me from starting the cast over again before the first one finishes, because of course the first question I'll get is "Are you recasting too soon?".

There's a good reason people will ask that question first. The addon / macro (which is it? They're very different things) is actually exactly why I assume you're clipping the cast. People who rely on those things tend to be... not good, and those things tend not to work. Your willingness to trust the addon/macro will work is foolish. The first thing you should expect is that it isn't working.

But yeah even just casting once then waiting a second, then going again, still sometimes only gets 2 ticks of dmg.

Again with the "sometimes" bit. What is different? There's absolutely zero reason it would sometimes do 3 ticks and other times only do 2 ticks without some variables not being accounted for.

31 minutes ago, TheRealJindo said:

all channeling spells don't use their full ticks. Well known bug on private servers.

Never heard of such a bug. It might be well known on garbage-tier servers run by 12 year olds, but Nostalrius/Elysium is a little better than those kinds of servers. Lumping it in with all private servers is asinine.

Edited by Fisher

It's both and addon and a macro, an addon that allows you to take make a macro which you can spam multiple times during the channeling effect so that it won't break your cast early.

Also my connect is fine, always under 100ms. If I have any lag / delay its when the entire server is lagging. But like I said even without the macro it still happens sometimes and yeah I'm not taking any pushback on the spell by being hit. It's either a feared mob, or I'm bubbled.

I'm guessing you've never had this problem then? Each of your Mind Flays always ticks 3 time per channeled cast? Wondering if there are any other players who have same problem as me?

Edited by BarkingSpiders

53 minutes ago, BarkingSpiders said:

I'm guessing you've never had this problem then? Each of your Mind Flays always ticks 3 time per channeled cast?

Never had that issue. Mind Flay will do only 2 ticks if I take damage, but if uninterrupted, always do 3 ticks. Granted, I play late at night (and have decent internet), so the server is rarely ever laggy and I'm almost never laggy.

I have no idea why it's happening, but the spell sometimes only ticking twice sounds very fishy to me. 

There really is a problem with Mind Flay (or with channeling spells in general, I guess) since the spell is ticking only twice some times. The only addon I use that might interfere with usage of spells is ClassicSnowFall but I doubt that's the culprit. I don't use macro for Mind Flay and it still ticks for only two times randomly, and it's definitely not an interuption problem. I've even tried Mind Flaying with PW:Shield and it still ticks only twice every several casts. Not a latency issue either, 30-35MS average. :|

Here's a thread on the Nostalrius forums where this problem was discussed as well: http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16159

Edited by cryofsorrow

I play a shadow priest and can CONFIRM that mind flay arbitrarily chooses between doing all 3 ticks and 2 ticks. It seems to be half and half.

This is not a "user error". Channeled spells such as mind flay and arcane missiles do not work properly. They did not work properly on Nostalrius, and they do not work properly on Elysium.

It is frustrating as a shadow priest because my dmg is gimped to 66% from a main dps spell in my rotation. I have tested workarounds extensively and am at the point where I feel as though I can't find a solution on my own.

Bump

Same here. I don't use any macros or addons. My Mind Flay quite often ticks 2 times insted of 3. Happens even when PW:S and Martyrdom are active, so it has nothing to do with damage. If there is a bug report we should up-vote it. I'll play shadow priest for 6-7 more lvls, so it's not a big deal for me but that sucks since it's important spell for shadow priests.

I can confirm (as a SP raider) that mind flay sometimes only ticks twice on a full channeling duration, with or without any addon/macro.

This is definitely a bug, probably due to a server-side latency, and it is REALLY frustrating.

Bringing tons of consumables to compete with other DPS and you only have 2 ticks out of 3 on your main rotation spell is NOT fine.

It would be great it this could be fixed before AQ40/20 gates are opened.

Thanks

Just posting to confirm I am getting this as well. There's a bug report somewhere deep in the bug tracker, but it says the culprit is the weakened soul effect, which is not true. It's just seemingly entirely random.

FYI, just started playing around with Shadow, and it seems that if you're mind flaying when Spirit Tap expires, you lose a tick of flay. Just reproduced it 5 times in a row doing that, anyway.

edit: Actually on playing further, yeah, just seems like it randomly only does 2 ticks for no good reason. Tried seeing if it was just the combat log messing up, but it seems that it is indeed only ticking twice and not just faking it. Also tried just flay alone with no other effects running to test out the "effect expiring interrupting it" theory, but no dice.

I have same problem and just posted a topic..

It just randomly happens and it happens a lot like half of the time for me, and it is very frustrating.

I stopped leveling my priest because of this issue.

I also have a lvl37 priest on Kronos server and tested with it. There was no problem at all, mind flay always did 3 ticks when there was no interruption.

I read their patch note and realized that they just fixed this problem.

I like elysium server and hope they fix this on elysium too.

On 2.5.2017 at 1:28 PM, Stodola said:

This forum is not for bug reports and is not read by people who might work on fixes.

this may be, still ppl werent sure about it, hence the topic had a "?" in it.

can anyone write a bug report about it with some needed data?

Yes, any player can report a bug with needed data and evidence. Remember, for abilities, they should be acting as per patch 1.12 while content should be per the patch level of the realm.

Hello,

any shadow here, who is willing to increase his dps through doing a bug report?

I can confirm that this is happening. I don't use a macro (I don't even know the commands for making it) and I've seen 2 ticks on tons of occasions. It isn't "user error".

this needs fixing.it also happens with mages arcane missiles and blizzard and warlock channelings but for them is not so bad.for priest is gamebreaking since mind flay is pretty big portion of their dmg and a part of their dps rotation.

On 27.5.2017 at 0:20 PM, oloun said:

this needs fixing.it also happens with mages arcane missiles and blizzard and warlock channelings but for them is not so bad.for priest is gamebreaking since mind flay is pretty big portion of their dmg and a part of their dps rotation.

post it on github. i couldnt test it, because im holy.