Sign in to follow this  
vampiricbeef

How do Hunter Abilities Scale?

Hello! I currently am a MM hunter and came across two items that were comparable in damage and wanted to know which one was better for my hunter.  I use the good old frost trap then run to do aim shot trick for pvp and that's the best way i can explain my play style. 

- with attack speed of the weapon how does that scale with my abilites?

- when choosing a weapon do i go for the higher damage weapon compared to higher attackspeed if they both are the same dps.

ex.. [  Item1 = 22-33 dmg, 1.7as, 12dps],   ,,,,,,,,,  [ item2 = 40-55 dmg, 2.7as, 12dps]  <----- pls note i made these items up and its just to compare if the higher damage lower attackspeed item is better than the higher attack speed lower damage same dps.

These are the two items i came across and the people are telling me to go with the lower attack speed item, which is the bow. " verdant keepers aim" - "megashot rifle"

Edited by vampiricbeef

You use the weapon with the highest weapon dmg, which probably is the slower one if they have same DPS.

The reason for that is that both multishot and aimed shot are based on your weapon damage, so you would only get a little extra hit if you have a fast weapon, while you get a big attack with a slow one. Also keep in mind if you have a very slow weapon (for example 3.4) you don't really miss out auto attacks during aimed shot, since it has 3 second cast time, which is not affected by your weapon speed(improved aspect of the hawk, troll racial and rapid fire do reduce cast time on aimed shot and autoshots tho.)

Thank you that makes sense. now when i attach the gun because it has att power bonus i have like 10 more dps in my character ranged dps stats when i check. now the dps also brings up the damage per hit. So in anyway possible if you get enough of a bonus like attack power or agility on one of the weapons over the other could that have a potential to have any higher hits. [ lower damage faster attack with agility/ap increase to make the hit just as strong as the other weapon with higher hit and lower speed.].

- or does the weapon damage somewhat cap in a way? so eventhough my main dps drops for ranged attacks on player stats its still the better choice to go with the higher damage weapon? thank you and i hope this makes sense!!

If you are talking about raiding, then you will always want to take the slowest weapon possible. The reason is the casttime of aimed shot (3 s) - you deal the most damage by squeezing that cast between two autoattacks. Obviously, if you were to use a fast weapon, aimed shot would delay your autos. 

Concerning your question (I hope I understand you correctly): When choosing a ranged weapon you first look at attackspeed, then damage. Stats are a nice bonus, but especially in a raiding environment you won't find too many weapons to chose from anyways.

If you're still leveling, just go with whichever has the most damage, unless you're a troll/dwarf then go with the one that you have the racial for.  Once you get to lvl 60 and are doing 5mans/raiding, you want a weapon with a slower speed that will better accommodate a shot rotation.

Against mobs that are 3 or more levels higher than you, it's worth 2% hit.  If you're leveling, you'll probably be facing a fair number of those...

5 minutes ago, gotmilk0112 said:

+skill to ranged weapons is pretty much useless, since ranged attacks cannot be blocked/dodged/parried. Increasing weapon skill for bows/guns will just give you a tiny increase to hit/crit chance. That +5 you get from the racial will only give you +0.2% chance to hit/crit. It's completely negligible.

it puts you in a different calculation bracket, around 2% hit

depends on which formula you believe is correct.  Either way, it knocks off the extra chance to miss for mobs that are at least 3 levels higher than you.

True.

Haven't had problems with misses at all while raiding here, so I'd assume the 3 % equivalent works. Yet, it's pretty hard to proof either formula to be right or wrong.

Never missed on bosses as troll with a bow + 6% hit, so 5 skill = 3% hit as 60 vs 63 target; had misses with a bow + 5% hit.