Sign in to follow this  
helpme123

About to hit 60 PVP spec? With "no" gear

As the title implies I'm about to hit 60 on Zeth'Kur. I wanted to PVP and I've been researching specs. I talked to a streamer on twitch who said that with no gear (new 60) I should play as BM until I acquire better gear. Sounds logical to me, I was just wondering specifically what talents I should take for pvp ? I was thinking something like:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#ce0MzgtottVohx

but since i haven't played any pvp at 60 as a hunter I wasn't sure. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated 

if you get broken tooth and spirit bond it is super OP.  It will heal for a hell of a lot, though Im not sure if that was nerf on this server. 

51 minutes ago, csant said:

if you get broken tooth and spirit bond it is super OP.  It will heal for a hell of a lot, though Im not sure if that was nerf on this server. 

I actually do have broken tooth (guess i was lucky) but i dont see how spirit bond (2% of health every 10sec) is OP. Lets say i have 3400hp (just a random new 60 health) thats only 68hp every ten sec. Am i missing something ?

you get healed every time he attacks ( or at least that was how it used to work back in vanilla) and his attack speed is 1.0. 

I will have to research because I haven't played hunter since vanilla. 

On 5/3/2017 at 11:05 AM, csant said:

you get healed every time he attacks ( or at least that was how it used to work back in vanilla) and his attack speed is 1.0. 

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#c

Here :D

Your spec looks fine, OP. You could also consider a Scatter Shot / Intimidation spec, that's pretty fun.

On 3.5.2017 at 5:05 PM, csant said:

sry mate but you are thinking about the old hunter talent tree spirit bond was changed with the new talents

you mean this version https://web.archive.org/web/20041220045941/http://wow.allakhazam.com:80/db/talents.html?category=361

Its not a big deal if you take endurance training over thick hide, but I think the armor is much better.  Mend Pet is absolute garbage, because it only attempts to cleanse on the first tick of mend pet. (this is different from retail vanilla) Even if it were fixed, it would still be a garbage pvp talent. You wont be spending much time healing your pet (if at all) and the range is only 20 yards. 

Get 2/2 spirit bond. Any healing you can get is  very important. This is the only in-combat healing you have besides bandages. You will not passively regen any health at all in combat without it.

Since you have broken tooth, he's going to be frenzy all the time anyway, so you can remove a point from Frenzy.  I don't have data for this, but I remember from retail classic that one point in bestial discipline was best for overall dps with a cat.   

I used to run 2 points in cheetah, but on these servers pet speeds aren't the same as they were back then, so we sacrifice a point in cheetah and put it in swiftness.

Here you go.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#cx0GkxgkptVohx

40 minutes ago, csant said:

When was it changed? so much for blizz like. 

About five minutes after wow went live.

No way, I remember it being OP and owning people with it on my hunter back in the day. =) 

I use to take on multiple people and never die. =)

4 hours ago, Fibber said:

Its not a big deal if you take endurance training over thick hide, but I think the armor is much better.  Mend Pet is absolute garbage, because it only attempts to cleanse on the first tick of mend pet. (this is different from retail vanilla) Even if it were fixed, it would still be a garbage pvp talent. You wont be spending much time healing your pet (if at all) and the range is only 20 yards. 

Get 2/2 spirit bond. Any healing you can get is  very important. This is the only in-combat healing you have besides bandages. You will not passively regen any health at all in combat without it.

Since you have broken tooth, he's going to be frenzy all the time anyway, so you can remove a point from Frenzy.  I don't have data for this, but I remember from retail classic that one point in bestial discipline was best for overall dps with a cat.   

I used to run 2 points in cheetah, but on these servers pet speeds aren't the same as they were back then, so we sacrifice a point in cheetah and put it in swiftness.

Here you go.

thanks for the tips! especially on the frenzy. I was just under the impression that imp mend pet was good for breaking pets from sheeps, frost novas

4 hours ago, Fibber said:

Here you go.

Well I disagree with not getting mend it is a very important ability actualy.
It helps alot if ppl cc your pet and death range the hunter. just be sure to use rank 1 mend pet so you dont go oom.

6 minutes ago, Trynux said:

Well I disagree with not getting mend it is a very important ability actualy.
It helps alot if ppl cc your pet and death range the hunter. just be sure to use rank 1 mend pet so you dont go oom.

Back in classic, when mend pet WASN'T broken, it was still the worst possible talent you could ever choose. In order to find a use for mend pet, you have to get REALLY creative.  

PvP:  In order for mend pet to cleanse your root, fear, sheep, frost nova, several things have to have happened. First, your pet has to be within 20 yards of you.  If you've ever had a wolf pet, you know how close you have to be to receive your furious howl buff.  IT IS VERY CLOSE TO YOUR DEAD ZONE. Second. Your pet has to have received some damage.  I know it doesn't seem like a big problem to overcome, but people aren't going to be intentionally damaging your pet in pvp.  (Why does my pet need to be damaged?) Excellent question.  In order for mend pet to tick, it has to have something to heal.  Since you're sitting in Orgrimmar right now, (or Ironforge if you're a weenie) go ahead and cast mend pet and look at your combat log. Mend pet doesn't appear a single time, because your pet is full health, it didn't tick, and thus, did not have a chance to cleanse anything.  If your pet is sheeped, this is a special problem, because sheep heals your pet to full even if it did receive accidental damage.

PvE:  Your pet will take some debuffs, usually they expire very quickly. Almost certainly faster than the time it will take for you to cleanse it. The only place I can imagine having a real need to to stop what you're doing, cast mend pet, cancel cast, recast, cancel cast recast (because don't forget! it will only cleanse on the first tick) is if you're in molten core and you get one of those 15 minute core hound debuffs, or a boss debuff that screws you up until you get cleansed.  For this to be useful, it has to have a benefit larger than the opportunity cost of casting auto shot. AND you'd have to be in a raid full of healers, mages, etc who never cleanse pets.  Which doesn't happen, because they all downloaded decursive, which by default is set to cleanse pets. Also, don't forget we have to get into melee range with all the rogues and risk being tail swiped or cleaved to death by the boss. And add more opportunity cost by having to travel to your pet. Or call pet back to you? whatever. (Well, ok I get your point but maybe we wait til the fight is over to cleanse that nasty debuff.) That's good thinking, except... see above. Your pet will be full health after 2 or 3 attempts to cleanse the debuff, even when you're using rank 1.

In summation. Mend pet is garbage. No its worse than garbage. Garbage can be used to make playgrounds.  Mend pet is like a pile of shit steaming in the middle of your living room.  It serves no purpose, and must be eliminated immediately before everyone around you begins to notice the smell of bad huntering. (new word?)

Sorry for nerd-raging all over your post. 

3 hours ago, Fibber said:

The only place I can imagine having a real need to to stop what you're doing, cast mend pet, cancel cast, recast, cancel cast recast (because don't forget! it will only cleanse on the first tick). 

It doesnt, it has a chance to dispell with every tick. I feel like you never tried the ability and are now deducing how the ability works. 
If you ever fought a mage you will be happy to have this ability. We are talking about pvp btw, I never claimed the ability has any use in pve. You probally wont agree, but I really dont care at this point just wanted to share my opinion on the subject.

22 hours ago, helpme123 said:

thanks for the tips! especially on the frenzy. I was just under the impression that imp mend pet was good for breaking pets from sheeps, frost novas

You're welcome.  I usually just start the fight with bestial wrath anyway and don't worry about it. hehe.   Remember: Hunters are a problem for mages; not the other way around :P