Sign in to follow this  
feracon

Tanking in UBRS as Warrior

I'm a vanilla wow veteran and I don't recall tanking through UBRS being as difficult as it is now.

Early on in the instance, groups expect you to hold threat on 3-4 mobs at least after only a Bloodrage.

Once you reach the pulls that incorporate the untauntable dragons they open up full dps immediately. I've had shamans or fury warriors pull threat through 2 shield slams and 4 sunders with no chance of pulling it back. 

I'm in full BIS pre-raid tanking gear and this is getting really annoying. Can anyone lend any insight on this?

Get more tps gear. You don't need full mitigation for anything on Elysiums current content pretty much which I assume you mean by full pre raid bis.

People today are more competent when to comes to gearing, min-maxing, talent-spec and in general DPS. Combine this with the fact that they are LESS competent when it comes to watching their threat (Thank retail for this) and you've got a perfect storm. Also, people tend to not use CC as much now as they did back then.

Tanking is harder in vanilla today than in vanilla 2005 because of this.

My favorite is when rogues open with cheapshot, and wonder why I can't get aggro on them.  Or it's the 1 mob a holy pally wants to burn a HoJ on.

My favorite was: 

I just popped bloodrage for a ranged pull, and while I was drawing my bow, the mage activated arcane power. 

I "failed" to notice he had agro on that mob until he was dead. 

10 hours ago, WingziuM said:

My favorite was: 

I just popped bloodrage for a ranged pull, and while I was drawing my bow, the mage activated arcane power. 

I "failed" to notice he had agro on that mob until he was dead. 

LoL

There are ways to mitigate this , using bombs from un'goro crater which are very easy to farm VERY useful for dungeon trash note sure if it works on the dragons as it is fire so probably immune but I have found great use for them in dungeons and its on a 1min cd so it almost always available.

But I agree with all the statements of Threat and dps - Retail is the main culprit for this everyone thinks that a tank should be able to maintain threat within 2 seconds when the reality is it could be more like 5 seconds if you miss your first attack.

Last night on my 58 fury warrior, i threw on a shield and off tanked a little. That was hard because the packs had like sometimes 6 mobs in there and cc kept being broken all the time.

My strategy to tanking 5 mans and UBRS (I'm a fury warrior) is to put a skull on a target and completely ignore it while I get aggro on the other mobs. Ideally it would be a caster, like the summoners or the smaller dragonkin if it's UBRS. Most of the time the rogues will open up with a cheap shot and the skull will be dead shortly after at which time I should have a couple of sunders on the melee adds. Also I have what I call a "light tank" set that incorporates 5% hit (lionheart, striker's mark, and 2 hit rings) for more threat in 5 mans and UBRS. I of course lose threat sometimes to overzealous DPS but not much you can do about that. Let em take a few hits and perhaps they'll learn their lesson.

A pug with tard dps that don't wait on threat is Hard Mode. If they are getting threat in less than 5 seconds after you hit the mob in melee range, it's their fault. If they get aggro on a non-skull elite when skull is up, it's their own fault for not paying attention to marks. Unless you are in raid gear, you won't need to equip dps pieces just to hold aggro if dps aren't tards.

If you are prot, you should be using Shield Slam and Revenge as your main abilities. Open up with a Demo Shout and use Sunder if you have rage to spare from Shield Slam and Revenge. If you are fury, just replace Shield Slam with Sunder.