George Colby

World Of Warcraft is it an addiction?

I just recently realized my love for WoW was turning from something I looked forward to everyday, to a serious addiction. I would play for 12 hours at a day, but with some help I have cut that down to just 1 hour a day. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced an addiction to this game and if so how did you break this addiction?

It's an addiction for me. 

I paused my game a month ago because of some RL stuff that kept me busy...

... and now I feel free from the addiction. 

I would like to login again, but I'm somewhat scared by how much I can be attached to playing WoW.

Playing less than 3/4 hrs a day is not enough for me :-((  And dungeon's time is calculated separately  (+ 2/3 hrs).

what is differences between being addicted to drugs or watching tv hours a day? Nobody cares when people do something else for hours? If you love WoW as long as you are not doing bad things like drugs or hurting people and have a job to support yourself play as long as you want if that's what you like. But don't tickle me. I'm super ticklish.

It's an addiction if you're for example a PvP ranker obsessively doing bg's day in day out, always feeling like you have to do that ONE more to get closer to your desired rank. But apart from that idk, I've never really gotten addicted to the game. I always play less than 10 hours during the week, more on the weekends if I have time. On some days I don't play at all when I just don't feel like it. I most certainly don't obsess over it, play it compulsively or constantly think about it. For me it's just a fun game. If you are developing an addiction you might have addictive personality, in which case you can get seriously hooked on almost anything, of course, including video games and should seek some help in general.

A videogame isn't an addiction, the same way watching tv all day (or even binge-watching Netflix) is not an addiction.
Having said that, there are elements of WoW that tap into reward centers of your brain similar to gambling.

There are a couple of good Youtube videos by Totalbiscuit & Danger Dolan that do a much better job explaining it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNRWvabBRDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4MPPFd5_c

An Addiction doesnt necessarely need to be a bad Thing. 

I'm addicted to Football, accepted in Society. I'm also addicted to Cars (as in watching Pictures&Videos all Day, screaming like a little Girl when i see a RX-7 etc.), also accepted in Society. I'm addicted to my Friends & Girl, accepted in Society.

What is the definition of an Addiction? "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice"

The Term "enslaved" brings the negativity into this, but an Addiction can be something beautiful as long as it doesnt affect your Life in other Aspects (Earning Money, paying Bills, being Social & somewhat Healthy (Things we consider a responsible Adult)).

To answer your Question:

Yes i am addicted to WoW.

8 hours ago, Xylon666Darkstar said:

That's called setting a goal, and working towards it in the best way possible. Not addiction.

I don't expect an autistic like you to understand 'goal setting', however.

Also, bunnies are delicious.

Wait. .what :O

I think it all comes down to your willpower and self-discipline. This game is addictive indeed but it's up to you whether it gets in the way of your RL or not.

You do something, get a reward and some good feelings. Do it again. Again. Feels really nice to get rewards (whatever they are) so you keep on doing the thing. Hell, you can even skip all the 'do something' part and just use heroin (dont though).

Some people enjoy the feeling good from one specific thing so much, they neglect other parts of their life, and overall are way worse off. Most videogames are somewhat addictive, MMOs especially so, and they definitely exploit human nature of 'rush towards rewards, feel good', and can easily become a real addiction.

As to how to break it? With games it should not be that impossible. Once you realise what is happening, and that your overall happiness is dropping, you can try incorporating some other, more healthier and varied, hobbies or activities.

I don't see it as a Addiction if i have a Weekend off, my Friends are out of Town and i play WoW for 20 hours over 2 Days.

On Monday i go back to work and other Stuff. As long as you don't neglect other Parts of your Life that are somewhat important (Health, Job, Reallife-Social Activitys (Mental Health)) its nothing from concern.

Yes, i play the Game 2 Hours each Day and all i want to do when i get Home from work is play the Game, but i also work 8, go to the Gym for 2 and spend time with my flatmate in the Evening.

For me, this seems like a healthy Balance.

Cause ppl that play 10h a day a game 10y old just for showing gear in front of AH to compensate ego, are mentally healthy and "addicted" is not a negative thing.... LOL

A casual gamer or a regular dude with a life can be addicted for short period of time, that's happen for sure to anyone with some passion about this game or any other game, but someone who still today literally farm consumable in the morning, buff and gold in the afternoon and then raid in evening 5x week, is not only addicted in a very negative way but probably need someone good to support his miserable life.

On 2017-6-4 at 4:29 PM, George Colby said:

I just recently realized my love for WoW was turning from something I looked forward to everyday, to a serious addiction. I would play for 12 hours at a day, but with some help I have cut that down to just 1 hour a day. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced an addiction to this game and if so how did you break this addiction?

I would say I do have an addiction to gaming in general - I spend more time reading and watching videos about games than I do playing them now though.

But at the end of the day as long as I spend time with my wife and make sure she knows I love her and she is not neglected then I can usually play games as much as I want. It is all about balance.