Inkanddagger

How to Druid? Macros/hotbars/general tips

6 posts in this topic

Evening all, I apologize now for the long-winded questioning!

I've never played Druid in my entire time playing this game, but i am thoroughly enjoying the leveling experience so far.  I'm up to 31 now , and, admittedly, I am try-harding him gear-wise with funds from my main.  Slaghammer with +15 agility enchant is so nasty!

I have read through this guide many times now for reference:  http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/index.php?/topic/178-a-grizzly-situation-feral-druid-1121-pve-tanking-and-dps /

Anyways, on to the actual questions.

• I am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of macro depth required to play the class as efficiently as possible.  I did some research and learned about the addon Dr. Druid.  Only thing is, i have no idea what to do in-game once I type /dd.  Could anybody ELI5?
  • I have both a melee and a heal set, and have different hotbars for each.  Melee hotbar isn't that difficult to figure out, but which spells and which ranks should be my go-to for healing instances?
  • I find myself predominately using Cat form, and I can't help but feel like it's going to bite me in the ass in the long run.  A good Druid is a versatile druid, as I've come to find out.  Should I just force myself to use more bear form?  Or figure it out later because cat is much faster.
  • Any other tidbits for a new Druid player?

I really appreciate any insight you guys may provide!  Happy 4th of July.

1st point I cant help with

2nd point: Use your top ranks on spells and keep the 2nd highest keybound for topping off. You want to keep rejuv on the tank and spam ht, use regrowth if you need a bit of burst.

3rd point: treat bear form as an emergency form, ie for fighting elites and when low health/mana. cat form will get you up to 60 much faster but some elite quests can be soloed by a druid in decent gear. I know of a druid who regularly killed elites his level and red mobs using bear form + popping out for healing.

Haven't used dr Druid much but I would say it has some key bindings you can set or it has some special macro function. Check if there's a read me in the addon folder and check the key bindings if there's a dr Druid section there. There's an addon called druidfunc that I used for a long time that's pretty much the same thing. You can check that out.

As for form use what you need at the moment. At least know where that bear button is, and where the healzorz button is, when you need it. And don't forget about roots and hibernate they are awesome at times. We're a pretty cool class you know. In pvp you will want to shift quite a lot but you can't cause you will run out of mana. You'll see, young fellow Druid.

Thanks for the responses, I'll see what I can dig up in regards to a readme for Dr.Druid. I'll also check out DruidFunc when I get home tomorrow and have a free moment.

What do you need macros for? I never used macros, I don't feel like you need any at all as Druid. I just use 1 2 3 (4 5) as hotkeys for bar and AERFVCXWTGBN for spells, change form with ctrl+X/C/V/F.

Bear form : it depends on your spec, I haven't tried all but I guess regardless of your spec the bear form would have 2 basic advantages : it is your most cost efficient form overtime to come out of a fight with a single mob in a better health/mana condition or against few physical dmg mobs, and it allows you to at least bash whether to prevent a spell or more fundamentaly allow you freedom to cast 1 or 2 spells while you can't be hit. In situation where you care less about cost efficiency you can use it to initiate/demoralize/bash and follow up with casts/cat. Just the fact that the bear form has all this extra armor and also health means that whenever you have to take hits it's a good option to use for more mitigation, even spells sometimes like you are escaping but a spell is going to hit you might bear form to take the hit and then shift back to normal => travel for example. There are a lot of use for bear form, always used it when I was speced cats many/most specs of cat affect bear so. Now I play a kind of hybrid spec, feral charge if you have this is just great utility for bear defense or offense really. Like let's say you have used your bash or you are standing a way away from a caster and he starts casting something, you have time to do bear>charge denies his casting and immobilize, then stick to this form a while to attack or cat or even run away from there...

Cat is the fastest leveling but there are other advantages to specing differently so, personally I'm not trying to just level as fast as possible nowadays, and I'm using a hybrid balance/feral spec which I'm planning to extend as full hybrid and it's working great or me. I have played druid quite a bunch of times to 40+, I would say take your freedom for specing because many different speccing and variations are viable and they just give a different accent, try to match the gear you get with what you want to do with your spec if possible, and whatever spec you do it's likely that all of your available spells are still good to use in some situations so you can just tune your playstyle around using something more often etc. All stats are good for druid, you can actually focus on any of them maybe just not more stamina than others. Str for example is interesting for druid because it raises your damage in all forms, cat bear but also "caster" or night elf^^ Agility notably increases also your chances to gain rage as bear since you get extra rage for a crit. If you have more intellect it also affects your versatility because it allows you to change forms more often so you can turn that into physical damage or utility too.. And spirit is very good for druid because the druid gets to regen mana while he is shifted into an animal, so you get a lot of extra potential regen time even during combat. So yeah you can try and tune all that to your spec.

What professions did you get? curious

other tips: ofc druid is rly good at gathering herbs, fast movement, invisibility and soothe animal and roots and hibernate... personally I chose herbalism like everytime but that doesn't mean it's a must have
in the wild druid is rly fun to solo pvp with, I love it, it's strong against a lot of classes except like warlock and maybe shaman (? prob depend on specs). Hunters are strong but if you get to start the fight without being seen you can do a lot, like hibernate/root his pet then rush him, that's hard for hunter. Running away is tough but not impossible, remember he can match your speed with his cheetah aspect so if you are running away throw a moonfire at him so that he gets dazed if he uses cheetah then you have speed advantage while his cooldown on concussive shot... RUN^^ (root/bash?) Definitely remember that you are one of the only class that has this big speed bonus in the water, so anytime there is enough water that's safety on your side for running away.
When you want to buy time for yourself you can as druid easily pass some beasts using soothe that's nice. Druid is just great in the wild seriously, I love it, you can cover long distances and maintain yourself and also go for the kills burst or not. It's so versatile and interesting to play :D So are most or all classes in their own way right

22 hours ago, ProMeTheus112 said:

What do you need macros for?

Shifting can be extremely tricky thing to do when you need to be fast, if you're spamming a shapeshift to cast it asap, 1 extra click and your form will be undone,

Macros are useful to avoid that in first place, of course the same goes for Prowl (and Shadowmeld if you are NH). Another useful macro is one to cancel any form to go caster form, especially if you're using a "safe" shapeshifting macro.