Sign in to follow this  
Rumpe

How do class populations REALLY affect the experience with that class?

When choosing a class, I'm always thinking about what might be needed on the server. Generally I stay away from Warriors and Rogues because I know that they generally are the two most played classes, whereas Druids and Warlocks (at least on the Alliance side) seem to be under represented most often.

This is always a bit annoying, as sometimes I really think I'd like to level a Warrior or Rogue, but don't do it because I don't want to hit 60 and have absolutely no chance of getting into a guild because there are already too many of them. I also don't want to choose a class I don't like based solely on being more "popular" on the server.

So for people who roll the most played classes regardless of what people say is needed, how does it alter the experience of the game? Are you often left out of raids/dungeons? Do you struggle to get gear? If any of you have experience at 60 with different classes, did you notice a huge difference?

It doesnt affect anything at all.

You have up to 9k+ peaks on Elysium and a playerbase of probably 100 thousand active players that play every now and then, so of course its not the same 9k+ every day.

There will always be dungeon groups, raid pugs and even raid guilds recruiting almost all classes. The more established ones will recruit certain classes only as they have already core members, a history together blabla

No matter if the next 500 new players start a rogue or warrior and nothing else, they will all find a spot somewhere any time.

9 hours ago, Nelythia said:

It doesnt affect anything at all.

You have up to 9k+ peaks on Elysium and a playerbase of probably 100 thousand active players that play every now and then, so of course its not the same 9k+ every day.

There will always be dungeon groups, raid pugs and even raid guilds recruiting almost all classes. The more established ones will recruit certain classes only as they have already core members, a history together blabla

No matter if the next 500 new players start a rogue or warrior and nothing else, they will all find a spot somewhere any time.

This is bullshit. Even with 9k+ players, the server is short of tanks. Groups often go long periods waiting for a tank, and sometimes fold or resort to paying someone.

Tanking takes work and leadership, and most people don't want to be bothered. I feel like vomiting every time I see "dps warrior". 

So it's not so much about class as it is about role. Tanks > heals >>> dps. 

3 hours ago, Jellydonut said:

This is bullshit. Even with 9k+ players, the server is short of tanks. Groups often go long periods waiting for a tank, and sometimes fold or resort to paying someone.

Tanking takes work and leadership, and most people don't want to be bothered. I feel like vomiting every time I see "dps warrior". 

So it's not so much about class as it is about role. Tanks > heals >>> dps. 

Short on tanks for dungeons, not for raids.  Its hard to be a tank in a raid because they need so few.

A raid has 8 5man groups and you dont raid with 8 tanks.

@Rumpe the class dont affect on Elysium , dunno how it is on the other 2 servers. Mostly its the behaviour of the players . if you just wait till someone makes a group , you will wait alot of time. if you make your own group, it doesnt matter if you are Dps Warrior or Rogue. Raids the same. Rogue and warriors are good dps classes . which means you want them in the raid. you say getting druids and warlocks into a raid is easier... which isnt true either... in fact normally you want 3-5 dps warrior and 4-7 rogues in your raid . on elysium warlocks are on a state of point where they cant scale atm to a top dps , so you dont need more then 3-4 warlocks and mostly you have perhaps 1 or 2 feral + 1-3 resto druids... so the demand of that classes in raids are less then warriors and rogues( you need 2-3 tanks aswell).

on Elysium, there are more then enough tanks. and i know that 80% of the dps warrior tank mostly the dungeons they need on their own , because its faster then waiting 30-90 minutes till you have a group.

but there are way more healer and dps classes in general.  the result , if a warrior has all items there is no reason to tank it anymore. and there are some instances , you not even get good tank/dps gear, so there is double no need to Tank it. thats why there is always a demand on tanks. i play a warrior. and have to say, i pretty much tanked more then 3 times the dungeons even as i had all the gear, mostly for guildmates or for gold/ mats /reputation , or just i got paid for. i get about 1-2 whispers per hour , when im not already in a dungeon/raid if i could tank any instance. but then you have to decide is it worth the time/gold , or what do you do atm. same for dps, a dps which has already every item from a dungeon normally dont run that dungeons, except they have the same reasons like gold/rep/mats. 

4 hours ago, creeps1 said:

Warrior sucks!  (quote) 

Esfand

http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Ranking.aspx?Bosses=0B0C0D0E0F0G0H0I&realm=Ely

Ask Esfand where he and his Rets are on that list ?

( dont get me wrong i respect Esfand as Player and hes doing good work for the Elysium project and its reputation , and he puts alot of time and effort in his Paladin , he has pretty much Bis gear for his Paladin on 1.6 . But i dont like his Comunity , they are too fixated on that things and you cant discuss anything cause of they small sight of opinions they have )

You should always have your better spec in raids, tanking any raid as arms or fury is just retarded and uneffective,

as much as any DPS warrior should be fury and not arms to be able to pull as much dps as he can.

yeah in theory you can lvl every class without using any skillpoints , it just makes your lvling easier!

But this topic was about IF classes affect the server. and thats what i said before. its not the classes its the playerbase behind. :) 

21 hours ago, Warlogy said:

You should always have your better spec in raids, tanking any raid as arms or fury is just retarded and uneffective,

as much as any DPS warrior should be fury and not arms to be able to pull as much dps as he can.

min/maxing a 12yo game really?

@Justme

Why not? We have all the game knowledge, why not use it accordingly?  Any decent guild will require proper spec and consumable, and since when is min\maxing bad? I don't understand.

To be fair with 40 man raids, there is a few slots(or more on farm content) for crappy players. I am not saying if you don't play the best raid spec/etc you're bad(though youre clearly not trying to be the best eh?) but even then you could squeeze in a balance druid on content that is only new for SOME players.

25 minutes ago, Warlogy said:

@Justme

Why not? We have all the game knowledge, why not use it accordingly?  Any decent guild will require proper spec and consumable, and since when is min\maxing bad? I don't understand.

Because I don't feel like reanchanting my chest piece everytime to fight Vael because it provides more raid dps with that 1 different enchant.