Sign in to follow this  
Undertanker

+ Nature Damage from Thunderfury (other + Elemental Damage gear)

Looking through the Elysium Realmplayers, I couldn't find anybody that has this sword yet.  Were the bindings dropping yet on the patch you guys were on?

I ask because I know during Nost core-port; they were looking at testing bug fixes that were on Elysium but not Nost core, such as a few pally class bugs.  And to see how implementing their fix affected Nost core.

On Nost, the +Elemental Damage on Thunderfury (as well as other items that have +damage) were completely factored in as physical damage, subject to armor damage reductions (lowering it's dps) as well as not penetrating physical damage shields.

Was there ever a PTR for Elysium that allowed for said testing if nobody obtained this sword yet?

Was this item subjected to some of the "changes continued to be made" during Nost devs tweaking during Blizz induced down time?

+Nature Damage is added to "Weapon DPS" , it should work thru Blessing of Protection or similar stuffs (only the + nature dmg shown as white hits) .

Just an example to claim this evidence:

http://ru.wowhead.com/item=9718#english-comments

2008-01-26 (Обновление 2.3.3)

Yes, the fire damage is already calculated into the 29.1 DPS. ((39+5)+(74+10)) / 2 = the average damage per swing = 64 damage 64 / 2.2 = 29.090909... rounded to 29.1

http://ru.wowhead.com/item=13982#english-comments

От Arsonwulf (1,809 6·20) 2007-06-02 (Обновление 2.1.0)

The extra frost damage does not show up seperately and is added to the white damage dealt by the weapon. It does break through Blessing of Protection though the damage from that will be rather small.

This proves that the "+nature damage" should be within "White Swings" and included in "Weapon DPS", but only elemental  dmg should work thru physical immune bubbles .

"the report in Nostalrius bugtracker was apparently false unless someone bring pure evidence"

"As far i remember in Elysium +elemental weapons was working properly (not sure about legendary yet)"

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

Yeah I know the + damage is factored into the tool-tip DPS of the weapon, however is that damage that SHOULD penetrate the Blessing of Protection type shields dealing the full + Elemental Damage?  Or is that Elemental damage ALSO affected by it's target's armor?  -  This would effect the DPS slightly if the + elemental damage is subject to armor reductions.  I am just not sure of this portion of expected behavior.

This "only elemental  dmg should work thru physical immune bubbles ." This tells me if it can bypass physical damage immunity shields, it shouldn't be subject to physical damage reduction values. (The +16-30 Nature damage).

Edited by Undertanker

You should dig up the TF testing thread from Nostalrius forums. The guys there did a great job digging up sources and testing things.

Yeah I know the + damage is factored into the tool-tip DPS of the weapon, however is that damage that SHOULD penetrate the Blessing of Protection type shields dealing the full + Elemental Damage?  Or is that Elemental damage ALSO affected by it's target's armor?  -  This would effect the DPS slightly if the + elemental damage is subject to armor reductions.  I am just not sure of this portion of expected behavior.

This "only elemental  dmg should work thru physical immune bubbles ." This tells me if it can bypass physical damage immunity shields, it shouldn't be subject to physical damage reduction values. (The +16-30 Nature damage).

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=703#p6367

Zetox

Result

If the elemental damage is resisted it will show as a resist (binary). If the melee damage is somehow mitigated it will also show in brackets.

It displays the mitigated melee damage first always.

So in general the elemental component of the damage is always just added to the normal melee swing unless it is somehow mitigated (by resistance).

From the first movie we can see by the combat text that it simply displays the elemental damage as a normal melee swing when the target is immune to melee attack (through potion or blessing or other abilities).

If an attack crits, the elemental component is also doubled.

It should not be mitigated by armor.

It it possible to resist the elemental component of a melee attack (see video). Resistance against the specific school higher the chance. (found by Llharts)

This one gives perfect example ;) (i was wrong about misunderstanding the report) :( .

In Elysium this was working properly about other elemental weapons, not sure if they fix for Nostalrius or when :wash:

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

You should dig up the TF testing thread from Nostalrius forums. The guys there did a great job digging up sources and testing things.

Yup. It was mostly working by the time players obtained it. The only thing that was broken was the elemental damage. Either it was completely missing and they upped the normal damage to compensate or it was there but treated as physical damage.

I'm pretty excited to finally see a completely working TF!

Either it was completely missing and they upped the normal damage to compensate or it was there but treated as physical damage.

It's Blizzlike solution.

So I studied the code. Very happy to see Elemental Dmg implemented! Great work, Sidsukana! Hats off to you.

Below are 3 excerpts from the function CalculateMeleeDamage
case MELEE_HIT_CRIT:

//normal melee crit calculations
//bonus damage crit calculation:
+            for (uint8 i = 0; i < m_weaponDamageCount[damageInfo->attackType]; i++)
+                damageInfo->subDamage[i].damage = uint32((damageInfo->subDamage[i].damage) * float((200.0f + mod) / 100.0f));

So when your melee attack crits, the bonus dmg ("subDamage") will also crit.

Below is the 2nd excerpt, the part where the melee subdamage (elemental dmg for TF) calculation is done.

Highlights:-

• Extracting bonus damage spell school (Physical or elemental type)
  • Target immunity check (function stops here if target is immune)
  • Calculating the bonus damage "subdamage"
  • Calculating the armor reduction on the subdamage (if it is a physical school) 
+    bool immune = true;
+
+    for (uint8 i = 0; i < m_weaponDamageCount[damageInfo->attackType]; i++)
+    {
+        SubDamageInfo *subDamage = &damageInfo->subDamage[i];
+        subDamage->damageSchoolMask = GetSchoolMask(GetWeaponDamageSchool(damageInfo->attackType, i));
+
+        if (damageInfo->target->IsImmuneToDamage(subDamage->damageSchoolMask))
+        {
+            subDamage->damage = 0;
+            continue;
+        }
+        else
+            immune = false;
+
+        subDamage->damage = CalculateDamage(damageInfo->attackType, false, i);
+        // Add melee damage bonus
+        subDamage->damage = MeleeDamageBonusDone(damageInfo->target, subDamage->damage, damageInfo->attackType, nullptr, DIRECT_DAMAGE, 1, i == 0);
+        subDamage->damage = damageInfo->target->MeleeDamageBonusTaken(this, subDamage->damage, damageInfo->attackType, nullptr, DIRECT_DAMAGE, 1, i == 0);
+
+        // Calculate armor reduction
+        if(subDamage->damageSchoolMask == SPELL_SCHOOL_MASK_NORMAL)
+        {
+            damageInfo->cleanDamage += subDamage->damage;
+            subDamage->damage = CalcArmorReducedDamage(damageInfo->target, subDamage->damage);
+            damageInfo->cleanDamage -= subDamage->damage;
+        }
+
+        damageInfo->totalDamage += subDamage->damage;
+    } 
  •  Weapon bonus damage component works (elemental or physical)
  •  Melee swing crit will also contain bonus damage crit value (elemental or physical) 
  •  Armor reduction will only apply to the bonus damage that is physical in nature. Thunderfury component is in a nature elemental school so it will not be effected.

As mentioned by the above posters. Nostalrius core does not have the above working. So I hope this will be implemented on launch. I'll definitely redo my last year's TF report when the server is up. 

Edit:

3rd Excerpt TF component can also resist. So here's the part of the code in the same function that handles bonus damage absorb and resistance. 

// Calculate absorb & resists
-        damageInfo->target->CalculateDamageAbsorbAndResist(this, damageInfo->damageSchoolMask, DIRECT_DAMAGE, damageInfo->damage, &damageInfo->absorb, &damageInfo->resist, true);
-        damageInfo->damage -= damageInfo->absorb + damageInfo->resist;
-        if (damageInfo->absorb)
+        for (uint8 i = 0; i < m_weaponDamageCount[damageInfo->attackType]; i++)
         {
-            damageInfo->HitInfo |= HITINFO_ABSORB;
-            damageInfo->procEx |= PROC_EX_ABSORB;
+            SubDamageInfo *subDamage = &damageInfo->subDamage[i];
+
+            damageInfo->target->CalculateDamageAbsorbAndResist(this, subDamage->damageSchoolMask, DIRECT_DAMAGE, subDamage->damage, &subDamage->absorb, &subDamage->resist, true);
+            damageInfo->totalDamage -= subDamage->absorb + subDamage->resist;
+            subDamage->damage -= subDamage->absorb + subDamage->resist;
+
+            if (subDamage->absorb)
+            {
+                damageInfo->HitInfo |= HITINFO_ABSORB;
+                damageInfo->procEx |= PROC_EX_ABSORB;
+            }
+
+            if (subDamage->resist)
+                damageInfo->HitInfo |= HITINFO_RESIST;
         }
Edited by Walgrave

47 minutes ago, paultrouble said:

mind sharing your source? i

is the same for every weapon with elemental dmg ? like http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=16039 Does it never scale with sp?

I wont bother investigating the same thing again , feel free to check the bugtracker , there is the real source for it unless the server removed the bug report.

Otherwise if you believe it should scale with spell damage , feel free to prove it.

/Kind regards Killerduki