Sign in to follow this  
Anthilia

Leveling with a Pocket Healer.

I will be maining a shaman which I plan to heal with.  My girlfriend is going to play a warrior and wants to tank.  We will be leveling together from the beginning and want to make it as smooth as possible. 

What spec would be ideal for her to play her warrior as when leveling so that we can kill fast and still be able to tank dungeons when necessary?

Is it worth questing as the main way to level with her wanting to tank and me wanting to heal, or should we just go into dungeons as soon as possible and not look back?

What level do you recommend she switches to prot from arms/fury if it is best for her to level as a dps spec?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. We will be on the pve server so world pvp is not something we need to be concerned about while leveling.

Tell her to go Fury. This is the most ideal DPS route for mobs, and she should tank fine until she gets 50+. It isn't as good tanking Protection, but until 50+, tanking isn't hard to begin with. Low level gear btw lacks any kind of defense, so you basically proc Blood Craze/Enrage every single fight. These buffs will be ticking non stop for entire dungeon runs.

At 50+ is when you should consider a respec to Protection. ST has a spike in difficulty, and BRD is even higher. The main benefit though is better farming for the HOJ, which is BIS out of BRD.

I agree with Drain if you are going to level as fast as you can. The only thing I would add is I would ask her and yourself is how much do you want to tank as you are leveling.

If you are worried tanking as you level or want to make a name for yourself as a good tank to start getting your name in the community. (Your name and reputation means everything on a server that is not cross realm.)  As a healer tank team you will find yourself being added to friend’s lists left and right with constant whispers if you can prove yourself a good tank. The practice is also good to keep your skills sharp for when you need to change over to full prot. A warrior you can do hybrid specs that allow you to dps and maximize your threat in tanking. I have linked below. 

This will give you some survivability with questing and tanking and keep your dps high with a 2h wep for most of the quests you need. They are not min / max but will give you an edge when you put on a sword and board. I will get someone saying that it’s not the best because of x reason but it is a good leveling spec /tanking spec that you don’t have to respect tell you are 60.

fury

http://db.vanillagam...ZVVzu0voVoE00ox

arms

http://db.vanillagam...hxdIio0zmZE00ox

Anyone else is welcome to inject some insight on this. 

@OP

https://forum.elysium-project.org/index.php?showtopic=21792&p=239964

Same applies with a pocket healer or not.

You won't spam instances, only do them when you both have the quest.   Only about 5-8% of your time would be invested in 5 mans while leveling, no reason to go heal/tank specs and gimp yourselves 92%+ of the time in the open world.

You may be right that I would gimp my dps by doing a hybrid spec.

Undertanker that is a great break down of war leveling btw. I hope you don’t take this post as an attack on your hard work on your post.  

But the great part of this game is that if I choose to be this spec it is an option. If you want to instances only 5% of the time being a hybrid would not make sense. But if someone is just loves to tank and hates questing they have the choice to do a full prot or hybrid spec to level. Unlike retail we have choice to be as far from a cookie cutter spec as we like. It’s also one of the greatest reasons to play this game as each person can choose to learn how they like to play the game and learn. With that being said I encourage the new players to read your spec post and learn all they can.

• Full dps spec would increase your dps maybe 20 to 35% (just guessing on this) over hybrid spec.
  • Hybrid spec would gain you 5 to 8% dmg reduction and 15% more threat with all abilities in def stance.

Someone with more math skills would have to crunch the numbers on how much threat difference would be between the hybrid spec and dps spec when compared with same gear to see the difference in agro gained by adding that extra dmg.

This would ultimately be up to the player on how they would like to play. 

Undertanker that is a great break down of war leveling btw. I hope you don’t take this post as an attack on your hard work on your post.  

• Full dps spec would increase your dps maybe 20 to 35% (just guessing on this) over hybrid spec.
  • Hybrid spec would gain you 5 to 8% dmg reduction and 15% more threat with all abilities in def stance.

Someone with more math skills would have to crunch the numbers on how much threat difference would be between the hybrid spec and dps spec when compared with same gear to see the difference in agro gained by adding that extra dmg.

This would ultimately be up to the player on how they would like to play. 

None taken at all.   It is a spec breakdown given for most exp per hour while grinding.

For the threat difference:   take your average damage increase estimation of 27.5% with the defensive stance modifier of 0.9, and you are looking at around 25% more damage done from white hits = 25% more rage gained, = 25% more sunder armor availability.    It is very close, in terms of threat while doing lower level instances.    So the pure gain of the hybrid would be the reduced damage taken of 5-8% using your percentages. 

Why invest in Defiance for threat, which adds no DPS, when you could invest in the DPS, killing фекал faster, which in turn would create more threat anyway? This is why Protection is pointless in the lower levels. Your damage reduction doesn't matter, only your ability to keep threat, and dealing more damage is a perfectly fine way to do this. The lower levels are not difficult. Anyone with a plank of wood equipped can tank well enough, and damage talents on top of the defense stance alone should be enough to keep a mob's attention. I leveled a Warrior on Nost, and I tanked 1-50 as straight up Fury without a fuss. There's basically no reason pre 50 to put any points in Protection. Even into the 50s, you could manage tanking ST/BRD tanking; it'll just be harder. Personally I recommend BRD as Protection, because that place is a hellhole, and tanking emperor runs is the best way you're going to get a HOJ. The sooner the better, because the XP doesn't get any nicer as you get closer to 60. It makes more sense to farm it at 55-59, than post 60, where there's zero XP and you could be in top dungeons instead. If you don't care about DPS items... then ya, just get to 60, then get ready for the 100 or so UBRS runs it'll take to get your shield.

rush sweeping strikes > ms > enrage

basically the usual pvp build for an arms warr

I think that for questing, Imp. Cleave might be better than Sweeping Strikes. Mostly because Cleave has no CD. And you can get Imp Cleave 10 levels earlier.

With a pocket healer, you can just pull 2 mobs at a time and use Cleave instead of Heroic Strike.

Though, once you get to 40, yeah, it's better to go full arms for mortal strike.

Edited by gotmilk0112

I think that for questing, Imp. Cleave might be better than Sweeping Strikes. Mostly because Cleave has no CD. And you can get Imp Cleave 10 levels earlier.

With a pocket healer, you can just pull 2 mobs at a time and use Cleave instead of Heroic Strike.

Though, once you get to 40, yeah, it's better to go full arms for mortal strike.

Nope, Sweeping Strikes is far and away superior. Remember that Cleave does have a CD called the Swing Timer. Also most important to note is that the increase in damage is only the Improved Damage, not overall damage of the ability. This means that for 3 points you gain about 114 damage on a Cleave. As a leveling ability it is just not worth the points it costs. Especially where it is on the talent tree, all of the other options are better than a few more +dmg on your cleaves. I mean why not just increase your Battle Shout, since it'll be giving your more damage to ALL your attacks rather than a paltry few on one which is rarely used? To that point, even Blood Craze as a leveling talent would out-pace Imp Cleave since you'll be taking more crits than just about any other class since you're in melee range without stuns or heals of your own for the entire time.

Not to mention how amazing SS is for tanking leveling dungeons. AoE threat becomes much less of an issue when you learn to stance dance with a good ol' Sweeping Strikes->WW->Thunderclap combo.

Xom on the fury leveling path you a already have blood craze. Read my guide first. You have to also add the 25% damage from enrage if comparing arms abilities.

Go fury til 40, go arms.

I dual boxed my way to 60 on other projects with the paladin+warrior combo and it's really good. Some quests you have to do twice, but most quests you can aggro 3-4 mobs at a time and just cleave them down. If you are playing with a pocket healer, you can pull multiple mobs without any downtime so sweeping strikes is by far the best talent you can get. I would play as fury and then respec to the standard arms spec at 30.

It's been my experience that arms is the best tree through about 50 then reduce back to http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZtizoxMdVo and work your way back down arms. I've leveled 23 characters to 80+ with three being warriors dual boxing, solo, and pocket healer. (two of each class, one per faction, and an extra warrior, DK, and pally)

Since you'll be going horde I'd suggest either a troll or undead tank unless you intend to pvp explicitly then go orc or tauren. Troll obviously has the same start zone, but it has been my experience that undead has the fastest 1-15 leveling time (priests also are better heals and don't have as zone dependent a class quest line, but personal choice)

lvl 20:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhGM0o

lvl 30

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhGcoA0o

lvl 40

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LuGcbAboxz (obviously the weapon choice is mutable)

then fill in cruelty and anticipation, then respec down prot and back fill arms and cruelty at around 50 (I usually make the switch for BRD) This gives you time to get comfortable tanking in prot for UBRS, scholo etc.

As long as you are aggressively farming instances for gear, most of the time spent "questing" (which I do a barebones amount of) the healer will spend dpsing with melee and instant spells (shocks, searing totem) and looting, dropping only a couple of lesser healings etc on the warrior.

This of course is entirely dependent on how efficient an aggro queen your girl can be. Pulling with guns/bows, knowing what groups to charge, hamstring kiting and catching mobs with cleave/sweeping strikes consistently and keeping an eye on the healer's mana and ability to focus dps for speed and heals for maximum uptime etc.

If you two can get in a good rhythm she can almost continuously run backward through every zone standing still long enough for you to loot and drink (and by standing still I mean mining veins lol)

While I agree that fury has better dps I find battle stance and arms to be superior for instance runs with cheap tclaps and the ability to keep aggro without too much concern given for the targets zealot hunters are dpsing down. I've calculated the xp/min farming quick respawn world trash with zero downtime (skipping looting, alts don't need loot amirite?) and have found instance grinding to be faster than questing in most instances especially if you can start grinding the instances a little underlvled.

I suggest mining and smithing on the warrior and herbalism/tailoring on the healer for maximum AH income and getting smithing up early before the economy makes thorium ridiculous.

I guess I should also point out that this requires a decent understanding of mob leashing, target switching, kiting for rends and deep wounds and tclaps, and communication free cooperation.

Have her go pure damage arms. She can wear a shield for dungeons and tank fine. It's even possible that she might not even need a shield for tanking in many situations. She should go protection in her mid to late 50's when she plans to start farming for Valor gear through dungeons (which will finish up those last few levels).

YOU should go pure damage. Enhancement. That way the two of you can obliterate everything in your path quickly and efficiently. If you need to heal her in a dungeon, just make sure you have a decent backup gear set with as much int and spirit as possible and you'll heal just fine. No need to go resto until about the same time she needs to go prot.

Have her go pure damage arms. She can wear a shield for dungeons and tank fine. It's even possible that she might not even need a shield for tanking in many situations. She should go protection in her mid to late 50's when she plans to start farming for Valor gear through dungeons (which will finish up those last few levels).

YOU should go pure damage. Enhancement. That way the two of you can obliterate everything in your path quickly and efficiently. If you need to heal her in a dungeon, just make sure you have a decent backup gear set with as much int and spirit as possible and you'll heal just fine. No need to go resto until about the same time she needs to go prot.

I agree. But that roaming around for totems though! /hate

It's been my experience that arms is the best tree through about 50 then reduce back to http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZtizoxMdVo and work your way back down arms. I've leveled 23 characters to 80+ with three being warriors dual boxing, solo, and pocket healer. (two of each class, one per faction, and an extra warrior, DK, and pally)

Since you'll be going horde I'd suggest either a troll or undead tank unless you intend to pvp explicitly then go orc or tauren. Troll obviously has the same start zone, but it has been my experience that undead has the fastest 1-15 leveling time (priests also are better heals and don't have as zone dependent a class quest line, but personal choice)

lvl 20:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhGM0o

lvl 30

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhGcoA0o

lvl 40

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LuGcbAboxz (obviously the weapon choice is mutable)

then fill in cruelty and anticipation, then respec down prot and back fill arms and cruelty at around 50 (I usually make the switch for BRD) This gives you time to get comfortable tanking in prot for UBRS, scholo etc.

As long as you are aggressively farming instances for gear, most of the time spent "questing" (which I do a barebones amount of) the healer will spend dpsing with melee and instant spells (shocks, searing totem) and looting, dropping only a couple of lesser healings etc on the warrior.

This of course is entirely dependent on how efficient an aggro queen your girl can be. Pulling with guns/bows, knowing what groups to charge, hamstring kiting and catching mobs with cleave/sweeping strikes consistently and keeping an eye on the healer's mana and ability to focus dps for speed and heals for maximum uptime etc.

If you two can get in a good rhythm she can almost continuously run backward through every zone standing still long enough for you to loot and drink (and by standing still I mean mining veins lol)

While I agree that fury has better dps I find battle stance and arms to be superior for instance runs with cheap tclaps and the ability to keep aggro without too much concern given for the targets zealot hunters are dpsing down. I've calculated the xp/min farming quick respawn world trash with zero downtime (skipping looting, alts don't need loot amirite?) and have found instance grinding to be faster than questing in most instances especially if you can start grinding the instances a little underlvled.

I suggest mining and smithing on the warrior and herbalism/tailoring on the healer for maximum AH income and getting smithing up early before the economy makes thorium ridiculous.

I guess I should also point out that this requires a decent understanding of mob leashing, target switching, kiting for rends and deep wounds and tclaps, and communication free cooperation.

literally the worst specs ever

rofl

rofl

Feel free to offer your own advice for criticism. Or is actually producing content too difficult for you?

rofl

You troll too much Slippery. How about offering some feedback rather than say "no. rofl"

Be productive, not a nuisance

Edited by Shaylin

Feel free to offer your own advice for criticism. Or is actually producing content too difficult for you?

You troll too much Slippery. How about offering some feedback rather than say "no. rofl"

Be productive, not a nuisance

You have zero points in TM and yet spend not one, but 3 points in TC.

Also--using rend? Instance grinding>world? jesus christ.

Edited by hotdwarfsixpack

Device keeps applying random things from other expansions and mixing them in a bowl of bad ideas and cooking it up in the form of "what not to do".

You are not helping anybody guy.