Jump to content
Armilus

Prot Warrior Guide by Armilus v2

Recommended Posts

I use battle shout when the helps are far away while a Hunter is pulling the past, once they get close and more than 5 helps active, I spam demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, YcbshadowE said:

Question

I see you stated that Sunder Armor provides 260 base threat, but then after applying the Defensive Stance and 5/5 Defiance modifiers, Sunder Armor provides 388 threat.

You then state that Revenge (Rank 5) provides 315 Threat. Is that before or after applying the Defensive Stance and 5/5 Defiance modifiers?

That is a good question that I would like to know the answer to as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so when spamming demo vs battle.

in what scenarios is spamming demo better?

like if im the only person within 20 yards of my battle shout, is it better to spam demo? or will battle shout always cause more threat?

also, if battle shout is alrdy applied to me, do i need to cancel the current buff before reapplying it again? or does refreshing it cause just as much aggro as the initial application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ironskillet2 said:

so when spamming demo vs battle.

in what scenarios is spamming demo better?

like if im the only person within 20 yards of my battle shout, is it better to spam demo? or will battle shout always cause more threat?

also, if battle shout is alrdy applied to me, do i need to cancel the current buff before reapplying it again? or does refreshing it cause just as much aggro as the initial application.

Only spam BS if you have everyone in your group close enough to recieve the buff, otherwise demo will probably be better. The BS does generate threat upon over-writing an existing BS buff so no, you do not have to remove the previous one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, zmandude24 said:

That is a good question that I would like to know the answer to as well.

To the revenge threat question, it is before.

 

Best threat per rage revenge > shield slam > sunder.     Heroic eats a white hit so the TPR is shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Undertanker said:

To the revenge threat question, it is before.

 

Best threat per rage revenge > shield slam > sunder.     Heroic eats a white hit so the TPR is shit.

Thank you for the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10-12-2016 at 9:16 PM, Armilus said:
If a mob is attacking someone else and you use taunt, your threat is first set to the SAME as the mobs current target. The mob is then forced to switch agro to you.

 

Is this really accurate in vanilla? I hear many times that taunt does not equal the taunters threat to the current target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10-12-2016 at 9:16 PM, Armilus said:
If a mob is attacking someone else and you use taunt, your threat is first set to the SAME as the mobs current target. The mob is then forced to switch agro to you.

 

Is this really accurate in vanilla? I hear many times that taunt does not equal the taunters threat to the current target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ViBoNacCi said:

Is this really accurate in vanilla? I hear many times that taunt does not equal the taunters threat to the current target.

Yes it does, otherwise it would be completely impossible to get threat from a tauntable target if it isnt already hitting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to this, even though you equal there threat, does not mean you will maintain aggro.  The mob is forced to attack you for the 6 seconds, however if you do not exceed 10% of the person's threat that you taunted off of, it will go right back to them.

 

This is why tanks that taunt off of each other to reset a stack of debuffs (Golemag) early in the right rather than later.  That 10% becomes much harder to overcome later in the fight.

Example:

If I have 10k threat and you need to take the boss, when you taunt you now have 10k threat.  You have 6 seconds to exceed 10% more than me.  1001 threat.

If we did this change later:

If I have 50k threat and you need to take the boss, when you taunt you now have 50k threat.  You have 6 seconds to exceed 10% more than me.  5001 threat.

First example is easy to obtain, the second example can be difficult or even out of reach.

This is were improved taunt is great, lowering the Cool down enough to be able to taunt > mocking blow/challenging shout > taunt again before it falls off, giving you a much longer time to breach that 10% threshold.

 

Also understanding this, you will understand that is it better to taunt a target THEN dump your rage on threat abilities rather than using threat abilities then taunting.  You will get a feel for when a shield slam + sunder is enough or you should taunt then do those.

Edited by Undertanker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Undertanker said:

To add to this, even though you equal there threat, does not mean you will maintain aggro.  The mob is forced to attack you for the 6 seconds, however if you do not exceed 10% of the person's threat that you taunted off of, it will go right back to them.

 

This is why tanks that taunt off of each other to reset a stack of debuffs (Golemag) early in the right rather than later.  That 10% becomes much harder to overcome later in the fight.

Example:

If I have 10k threat and you need to take the boss, when you taunt you now have 10k threat.  You have 6 seconds to exceed 10% more than me.  1001 threat.

If we did this change later:

If I have 50k threat and you need to take the boss, when you taunt you now have 50k threat.  You have 6 seconds to exceed 10% more than me.  5001 threat.

First example is easy to obtain, the second example can be difficult or even out of reach.

This is were improved taunt is great, lowering the Cool down enough to be able to taunt > mocking blow/challenging shout > taunt again before it falls off, giving you a much longer time to breach that 10% threshold.

 

Also understanding this, you will understand that is it better to taunt a target THEN dump your rage on threat abilities rather than using threat abilities then taunting.  You will get a feel for when a shield slam + sunder is enough or you should taunt then do those.

Who in all honestly taunts off on golemag though?:D Maybe when progressing:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1.4 server tanks don't have great gear and sacrifice a lot of stam for def.

And the fights are much longer due to the lack of hit gear, especially on ranged dps.

Edited by Undertanker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-02 at 11:35 AM, ViBoNacCi said:

Is this really accurate in vanilla? I hear many times that taunt does not equal the taunters threat to the current target.

The reason for this is that all Elysium realms run with the 1.11 version of taunt instead of the pre-1.11 one.

Taunt used to be forcing a target to hit you only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×