gotmilk0112

GUIDE: Placing totems with 1 key, using Call of Elements

With the lack of /castsequence macro command in Vanilla, it's very difficult to make a 1-button totem placement macro (without annoying shift/ctrl/alt mods, that is). However, an addon called "Call of Elements" solves this.

You can download it here: http://www.vanilla-addons.com/dls/callofelements/

Call of Elements is, mostly, a totem timer / placement addon. It displays four totem icons that you can click to summon totems, and if you hover over the icons, it will pop up a little list of all the totems you can place from that element. (which are also clickable, to place those totems!) The icons also show timers for those totems.

f333ccce8d.png

To move the icons around, simply click and drag them wherever you want. They start off in a square pattern, but as you see above, I moved them all next to each other. Once you're done moving them, go into the menu (with /coe) and check the "Fix totem bar positions" box, to lock them.

There is also a "Configure Totems" button, which allows you to set which totems you want to appear in the pop-up menus. Click to select / de-select. The "Configure Order" lets you set which order the totems appear in, within the pop-up menu. Down at the bottom, you can set which direction the pop-up menu shows up from, as well as "Bar Mode", which lets you hide the totem buttons, or make the pop-up menu always stay open or closed. "Flex" is the default setting, which makes the pop-up menu appear when you mouse over the totem icon.

It also has a secondary function: Totem Sets. This is what allows you to place all of your totems with a single keybind. It works the same as the /castsequence macros, allowing you to press the button once to summon the first totem, press it again to summon the second totem, etc, for all four totems.

To configure a Totem Set, we'll first have to create one. In the CoE menu (use /coe), click the "Totem Sets" button, and on that menu, click the little text box, enter a name, and click "New Set".

From here, click on "Configure Set". This will make all of the totem buttons appear. You'll notice that when you click on one of those totem buttons, a red outline will surround it. This is to indicate that the totem is part of your Totem Set. If you click on that totem again, it will be de-selected.

02b10395f7.png

You can also change the order in which the totems are placed, using the "Cast Order" area at the bottom of the Totem Set menu.

After you're done setting which totems you want to use, click "OK". Now, go into your keybinding menu, scroll down to the bottom and look for the Call of Elements section.

You will want to keybind "Throw the active totem set". This keybind, when pressed, will place the first totem in your Totem Set. Pressing it again will place the second totem, etc. It works exactly like the /castsequence macros from TBC and beyond.

However, it works even better, because it intelligently checks to see if that totem is placed, and if you keep pressing the button, it will not place a totem unless that totem has expired. So at any given moment, you can just hit your keybind a few times to ensure that all of your totems are active. Rather nice.

Edited by gotmilk0112

3 hours ago, protonvfb said:

Since the Server update, the addon does not work anymore for me, i get an error that cant be clicked away.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Go into /wow folder / WTF / account / (your account name) / SavedVariables

delete "CallOfElements.lua" and "CallOfElements.lua.bak"

Now go into / wow folder / WTF / account / (your account name) / (server name you play on) / (character name) / SavedVariables

delete "CallOfElements.lua" and "CallOfElements.lua.bak"

That should fix it. I too was having problems with this addon earlier (but not after server rename) and deleting those files in the WTF folder fixed it.

It's not meant for PvP. It's mostly for PvE where you're placing the same totems over and over.

The addon is not supposed to replace keybound totems, it makes it so you can place the same 4 totems every time with just 1 keybind.

Edited by gotmilk0112

You can set up different sets for different situations/enemies with CoE.

They even load automatically when facing for example a rogue.

Uncheck "fix totem bar positions".

If that fails, read the posts above about deleting the lua and lua.bak files in your WTF folder, in order to reset the addon.

I got this installed and all set how I want, went to keybinds and set "throw the active totem set" to the key I want to use to throw totems.... only I cant get it to throw totems.  It just doesn't seem to work no matter what key I select for that bind.  The "show config dialogue" bind works no problem, but actually being able to use 1 key to throw totems is not working at all for me.

You need to configure a totem set first.

Click "Configure Totem Set" and then when the totems pop up, click which ones you want, then click "OK". After that it should work.

If not, make sure that the totem set you just configured is the active set.

Got this because Totem Timers didnt work properly. Somehow I kept thinking that this or another addon in vanilla could throw all 4 totems at once :) Well even without using the 1 button placement function, it seems like a working alternative for Totem Timers, so I'm going to use this addon from now on.

In my firm opinion, regardless of the reality that you're only required to drop the same exact totems in the same exact rotation 99% of the time, you need to know where your alternate totems are. 

I could go into more detail on this, but the idea that you needn't be responsible for your class' abilities, and especially core mechanics, should, in my opinion, speak for itself. 

I understand the utility and quality-of-life that addons such as these provide; however, you are relinquishing your primary niche to an addon considering you are out of practice and out of touch with dropping alternative totems of specific elements. 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:29 AM, Roxanne Flowers said:

Outsourcing your core competencies to others to do for you so you don't have to think as much for yourself is a founding American value!

Oops, left the sarcasm toggle on ...

Not a founding, a current.