Sign in to follow this  
smokeit

Impossible to pickpocket again?

Hello, If I pickpocket something and it moves away (so I didn't got time to loot) and I try to repickpocket, no loot window shows up. Anyone else with the same issue?

Restarting game, addons off, clearing wdb+wtf does not help.

Thanks!

I keep getting "caught" even though I'm behind, 3 levels ahead, and 1 point currently in imp stealth. Even if i distract first it feels less then 50% of the time im caught and fighting the mob.... I don't remember orig being this hard to pickpocket.

It's not "impossible" ... you just have to seriously outlevel them before you can do it reliably.  How seriously?  Try +10 levels seriously.

The easiest mobs to pickpocket are actually the Defias Rogue Wizards at Hero's Vigil in Elwynn Forest.  Why?  Because their feet are nailed to the ground.  They never move.  They never turn around.  That makes it excessively easy to Stealth up behind them and pick their pockets at your leisure.

That said, pickpocketing definitely has a "One Try" bug to it where if you don't pull the loot on the first attempt, when you make a second (or subsequent) attempt against the same mob they will ALWAYS have nothing for you to loot, meaning you only get one chance to pick any mob's pockets.  The difficulty of being able to pull it off consistently against mobile mobs involves a lot of practice and preferably 5/5 Master of Deception so as to help your level differential.  It doesn't help though that almost every mob can see through very nearly any amount of Stealth from the front, so you have to sneak up on EVERYTHING from behind in order to pick their pockets.  Stationary mobs make that easy, moving mobs make that hard (especially when they turn around to walk right through you).

To me the most annoying thing is ... lack of an autoloot on Pickpocket function.  I don't mind having to shift+rclick on gathering nodes, skinning and general looting of dead mobs ... but I DO mind not having an equivalent Loot All Automatically on use of Pickpocket, forcing me to manually loot stuff by clicking on it before I can resume moving again, because if I move while Pickpocketing the window will auto close on me and then I can't re-Pickpocket to get that (loaded) loot window back since the next time it opens on that mob it'll be empty (which I've been thinking of as "spoiled" when it happens).

So far I think I've looted a total of about 2g out of the pockets of Humanoids in Teldrassil, Dun Morrough and Elwynn Forest.  Looking forward to the more lucrative rewards of Pickpocketing the skeletons in the cemetary in Darkshire (wait, skeletons have pockets? who knew?).

Is there any way to auto loot what's pickpocketed, instead of manually clicking the items out of the loot window after you press your pickpocket bind?

2 hours ago, Ariatris said:

Is there any way to auto loot what's pickpocketed, instead of manually clicking the items out of the loot window after you press your pickpocket bind?

Not that Ive found. You can get an addon that will move the loot box to your cursor, which makes it pretty easy to click the loots you want. pfUI does it, I dont know the specific addons that do it though.

During TBC, I had written macros for all of my From Stealth opening attacks such that they would automatically Pickpocket (and autoloot everything) immediately prior to using Ambush, Garotte, Cheap Shot, Sap, etc. so that I'd never miss an opportunity for extra loot since use of Pickpocket doesn't engage a global cooldown.  Likewise, I could Pickpocket on the move since I didn't need to stop, manually loot while parked, and then resume moving thanks to autoloot on Pickpocket, making the whole operation of silently gliding up behind something in Stealth, using Pickpocket on them, and then continuing on past them without stopping so much easier and more reliable with a lot less vulnerability (because you didn't have to stop to loot).

That autoloot on Pickpocket is what I miss the most about the current game state here.

8 hours ago, Ariatris said:

Auto loot didn't come until TBC... Then you had macros to pickpocket+ambush/cheap shot/sap.  It was nice.  But no, there is no setting to make autoloot a default, that was introduced in 2.0.1.

Trying to pickpocket mobs 4 levels less than me and consistently get spotted and when trying against mobs of the same level its much worse with the added bonus of them resisting my pickpocket as well. 0/5 MoD though... Just got 1 point in MoD last night and haven't tried since.

I've got 5/5 Master of Deception and even against -4 mobs as a Night Elf you still don't want to get into their frontal arc.

Player Stealth = wimptacular even when buffed to the high heavens

NPC Stealth = OVERWHELMING