gotmilk0112

[GUIDE] How to learn new pet skills

Since it's really not explained very well ingame, here's a short guide on how to train extra abilities for your pet, such as Dash, Bite, Claw, etc.

First, you'll need to figure out which abilities your pet is capable of learning. Here's a list:

Spoiler

Bat: Bite, Dive, Screech

Bear: Bite, Claw

Boar: Bite, Charge, Dash

Carrion Bird: Bite, Claw, Dive, Screech

Cat: Bite, Claw, Dash, Prowl

Crab: Claw

Crocolisk: Bite

Gorilla: Bite, Thunderstomp

Hyena: Bite, Dash

Owl: Claw, Dive, Screech

Raptor: Bite, Claw

Scorpid: Claw, Scorpid Poison

Spider: Bite

Tallstrider: Bite, Dash

Turtle: Bite, Shell Shield

Wind Serpent: Bite, Dive, Lightning Breath

Wolf: Bite, Dash, Furious Howl

Now, there are different ranks of each ability that can be learned at higher levels, just like how regular spell ranks work. Higher level mobs will have higher levels of pet abilities available. These higher ranks will also require your pet to be a certain level, just like regular spell ranks.

There are many sites available to find out which mobs have which abilities. I prefer this one:

http://www.companioncodex.com/bestiary/

It is a list of every single mob in the game that is capable of being tamed as a hunter pet, and it lists useful information like attack speed, abilities, level range, and where to find it.

Whatever ability you want, you can just CTRL+F to search for it, and easily find every single mob that has that ability. So if I was looking for Bite(Rank 3), I could just search for "Bite 3" on that page, and find whatever mobs have it.

So you've found the mob you want and tamed it. Now what? Again, it's a bit confusing since it's not explained anywhere in game.

You have to make your pet keep using that ability over and over, until you see "You have learned (ability)(Rank X)" pop up in your chat box. The amount of times you have to use the ability is random. I've learned abilities in 2-3 uses, while other times it took 15+ uses before it finally 'learned' it.

Now, you can go to your Beast Training window, and you will see that ability listed. You may now go get your regular pet from the stable and use the Beast Training window to teach the new ability to your pet.

=============================================

So, say I've got Lupos, a Wolf pet, and I want to teach it Furious Howl Rank 2.

First, I'd go to the Bestiary and search "Furious Howl 2". I can see that Ghostpaw Alpha has that ability, so I head over to Ashenvale, put Lupos in the stable, and tame a Ghostpaw Alpha.

Now, I have that Ghostpaw Alpha keep using Furious Howl over and over until I see "You have learned Furious Howl(Rank 2)" in my chat box. Then, I abandon it and go back to the stable, get Lupos out again, and open up the Beast Training window. Furious Howl(Rank 2) is now listed, and one click of the "Train" button later, Lupos can now use Furious Howl.

Edited by gotmilk0112

Can you make a guide on how to move abilities from the spellbook to action bars next? thanks!

Edited by Cruzix

8 hours ago, Cruzix said:

Can you make a guide on how to move abilities from the spellbook to action bars next? thanks!

Bruh, training pet abilities is not as obvious as you think it is.

I've been playing since 2007 and when I first tried Hunter on old nost, I had no fucking clue how to give my pet abilities other than Growl. It's not explained anywhere ingame.

21 hours ago, gotmilk0112 said:

So, say I've got Lupos, a Wolf pet, and I want to teach it Furious Howl Rank 2.

First, I'd go to the Bestiary and search "Furious Howl 2". I can see that Ghostpaw Alpha has that ability, so I head over to Ashenvale, put Lupos in the stable, and tame a Ghostpaw Alpha.

Now, I have that Ghostpaw Alpha keep using Furious Howl over and over until I see "You have learned Furious Howl(Rank 2)" in my chat box. Then, I abandon it and go back to the stable, get Lupos out again, and open up the Beast Training window. Furious Howl(Rank 2) is now listed, and one click of the "Train" button later, Lupos can now use Furious Howl.

In case I wanna teach my pet a new ability this way, would I have to teach it XXX (Rank 1) first, or could I go straight ahead and teach it Rank 2?

Love the post, btw.

2 minutes ago, Nikolumsen said:

In case I wanna teach my pet a new ability this way, would I have to teach it XXX (Rank 1) first, or could I go straight ahead and teach it Rank 2?

Love the post, btw.

You can go straight for 2 or 4 or whatever.

Yeah, you don't have to learn earlier ranks first. You can go straight for whatever the highest rank your pet can learn.

Edited by gotmilk0112

There is a addon named "GFW_HuntersHelper" that give you info about what ability the beast you target got in your tooltip, and also were to find ranks of those pet abilitys you need.

/hh for commands.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:09 AM, Cruzix said:

Why be a that way? You do have a lot of knowledge to share on the hunter class but now you're just being a dick. Not everyone started playing when you did and many may not know this.

9 hours ago, meridaw said:

There is a addon named "GFW_HuntersHelper" that give you info about what ability the beast you target got in your tooltip, and also were to find ranks of those pet abilities you need.

/hh for commands.

An absolute must have for the new hunter and old alike.

Edited by HudsonHawk

Great guide! I have a question though.

I tamed my first pet, a level 8 spider in Teldrassil. It has Bite and Growl now, but I really want it to be able to trap enemies with web. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Metaguy

To be able to trap your enemies with web using your pet spider you have to install special addon Burning Crusade.

Edited by Jorn Skyseer

2 hours ago, Metaboy said:

Great guide! I have a question though.

I tamed my first pet, a level 8 spider in Teldrassil. It has Bite and Growl now, but I really want it to be able to trap enemies with web. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Metaguy

Web is not available in Vanilla.

Is it possible to skip ranks of an ability? Say I have my spider which has Bite rank 2. Can I tame a mob that has rank 4 and then teach my spider that directly? (after learning it ofc)

1 hour ago, Metaboy said:

Is it possible to skip ranks of an ability? Say I have my spider which has Bite rank 2. Can I tame a mob that has rank 4 and then teach my spider that directly? (after learning it ofc)

Answered earlier in this very thread. Yes.