Sign in to follow this  
Wignall

Skilling Up Fishing

9 posts in this topic

Current Fishing Level - Average Number of Successful Catches Required to Gain a Skill Up

100 - 2
115 - 3
140 - 4
165 - 5
190 - 6
215 - 7
240 - 8
265 - 9
290 - 10

Is this information correct?

I'm currently Level 192 and it's taking more than 6 successful catches to skill up atm.

I've seen a few different formulas that try to explain skill ups, and when things go green i think they're either all mistaken or that the probability distribution is so wide that using them as an indicator for insight as to when you'll likely get a skill up makes little sense. Look at fishing as a green skill in your profession, and the higher your fishing level the more green it gets. 

This might be just my biased opinion, but for me it seemed like fishing in Darkshore was great for skilling up at all levels. And yeah, I don't know if it has anything to do with Darkshore Groupers.

I'm sorry but i reckon fishing is broken atm. Went to Darkshore and it took me 14 successful catches to go from Level 193 to 194. I fished heaps in vanilla and it never took this many successful catches to level at this fishing level.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:03 AM, Wignall said:

I'm sorry but i reckon fishing is broken atm. Went to Darkshore and it took me 14 successful catches to go from Level 193 to 194. I fished heaps in vanilla and it never took this many successful catches to level at this fishing level.

I second this. Just took 21 successful catches to skill up from 200 to 201. Never took this many on retail vanilla.

In both cases, your Fishing skill went up ... so that part is working.

Your complaint is that the skill ups aren't happening fast enough?

Welcome to Vanilla ... leave your silver platters behind.

I have 2 toons at 300 fishing now, and yeah it is slow, but @Prowlz once you have that 200 fishing bench mark, you can get a +20 fishing pool, +100 lures and fish anywhere outside of ZG that you need to make money.   You won't see hardly any difference in 200-300 in terms of success rate as long as you have the two items I listed.  As you get to 225, you can use the +75 lures, and essentially 300 fishing benefit (outside of ZG) is an extremely high success rate of fishing without the need of lures (as long as you still have your +20 fishing rod).  So this saves you a few bag spaces once you venture out for some long-term fishing.

Frequently it takes too many successful catches to gain a skill point, as is pointed out in previous posts. In my opinion this is not Blizz-like.

I then devised a model that seems to fit the data given on El’s Anglin’ from Jan, 2008:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080105045719/http://www.elsanglin.com:80/skill_and_location.html

The fishing model

The average number of catches to gain a skill point, found on El's Anglin', fits this simple formula rather well

N=1   if S<50                     and                 N=(S-50)/25    if S>50

where S is the current fishing skill.

The probability of gaining a skill point after precisely n successful catches is

P(n)=p*(1-p)^(n-1)

where p is the probability of gaining a skill point on a specific cast.

The average number of successful catches can then be calculated to be (I can send additional information if needed)

N=-1/ln(1-p)   if S>50

Now we can deduce a formula for the probability of gaining a skill point on a specific cast, based on the average number of successful catches, that only depend on the current fishing skill

p=1   if S<50           and                 p=1-exp(25/(S-50))   if S>50

I do not know if this is what is used, but if it is not, then I believe this will make fishing seem more Blizz-like.

Edited by Theos
Clarification