Sign in to follow this  
AndrewFromHD

Mara Farming Pet

Since I will soon be 60, I want to start farming Mara as soon as possible but I am not sure what pet is recommended so it can help me out with it, any suggestions beside BT and Lupos?

I've found that it doesn't make too much of a difference as long as they have nature resist and fire resist. The goblin will sit there and spam his fire attack on your pet most of the time for 100% resist, and on princess, I found it's not worth trying to have my pet tank her the whole fight, as she seems to do much more melee damage now. I just kite her instead. 

I don't bother with the croc. It just seems far too random to me if I'm able to kill him before my pet dies or not.

Boars are nice. They can charge or dash, they bite, and there's room for Growl.

Whatever pet you choose, get Thick Hide and give your pet plenty of armor and nature resistance and you should be okay.

Princess has Windfury now, at least on Anathema, so I'd recommend pulling your pet out during Dust Cloud. It's about five seconds, so pull pet out, mend, send back in before mend ends. Easy peasy.

You should be fine doing all 3 if you get 3/8 T1 piece bonus and pre-bis gear with BM/MM talents.

If you dont it's better to skip croc and kite princess instead of face tanking her.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:05 AM, Software said:

I've found that it doesn't make too much of a difference as long as they have nature resist and fire resist. The goblin will sit there and spam his fire attack on your pet most of the time for 100% resist, and on princess, I found it's not worth trying to have my pet tank her the whole fight, as she seems to do much more melee damage now. I just kite her instead. 

I don't bother with the croc. It just seems far too random to me if I'm able to kill him before my pet dies or not.

You don't need gear to kill croc and princess.  I did zero dungeons while leveling up, and as soon as my pet was 60 I went to maraudon.  Most hunters do kite princess, but it is not required.  In fact if you learn how to tank her, which you can do even in the worst gear, it is faster because the pet will be able to do damage. I position my pet in the same place every time.  Let princess agro the pet before you press pet attack. Pet should never move unless it gets feared. wait for her to throw the first rock then use your cooldowns. After that, all you're doing is auto shot and heal pet. nothing else. Try to cast heal pet immediately after a rock throw. If she doesn't throw it, and pet is getting low, try to cast when she begins her cloud. She sometimes throws a rock while in the AOE phase, so sometimes you're going to get your heal kicked. for me, if she kicks my heal twice, which sometimes happens. I know I wont have mana to heal pet through the whole thing, and I switch to kiting. This does not happen often to me anymore.

For croc, its a little RNG, but overall its easier than princess. It is very rare that I fail to kill croc. He drops a 4g axe so you do not want to skip him. You need a UI that can see the number of bleed stacks on your pet. When croc has 4 or 5 bleeds on your pet, count 2 or 3 auto shots, then intimidate. This often forces the stacks to drop. If by some miracle your pet cannot drop stacks, it will die, you feign death. then reset. Because you can't drink in the water its best to just move on.

What Fibber said. Auto Shot and Mend Pet and you'll be in a good position, and remember to turn on Creature Damage Spells on Others in your chat log and be fairly close to Princess so you can see when she's casting her Boulder. Not too close, of course. Right-click the general tab and I think it's under spell messages.

I dunno about waiting for the first rock before popping CDs though. I've done her where she only threw, like, two rocks the whole time, and again where she threw, like, thirty. It's really RNG.

Given Princess' melee damage, it could help to pull pet back during Dust Cloud, then send it back in before it ends. It lasts about five seconds, just enough to use a Mend while your pet's out of her range. Be prepared in case she uses Boulder during Dust Cloud. Usually she takes a step or two forward if your timing is ideal and your pet's back in at just the right time, and that's a simple step back. Easy. Of course, your greatest ally in that fight will be Thick Hide and / or Natural Armor at a high rank, so consider how effective that'll be at saving your pet's HP. Stam doesn't matter for this farm and resistance is somewhat negligible compared to armor, though still helpful, in my experience.

I also wouldn't recommend popping CDs on her at all, actually. I get her low and start using standard rotation - Aimed Shot, Multi-Shot, you know - when I know I'll run out of mana at the moment I kill her. Helps speed things along. If, for some reason, you need all of your mana for Mend Pet, just do your normal Auto Shot / Mend Pet thing until she's dead. If you need to kite, that's easy too. Cheetah to outrun her, toggle it off when a Boulder is coming your way and turn it back on when the stun is over. No need to switch to Hawk at all, just use Auto Shot on her any time she starts Dust Cloud. She'll die eventually. And if even THEN you're having trouble, outrun her by a good distance, LoS behind one of the boulders in front of the bridge and bandage up. You could also just run around and let mana regenerate for a few. As long as you don't use anything that costs mana, it'll keep regenerating. To do this while also running from her with Cheetah, just run along the side of the arena, there are some nice LoS spots there. That, or stay really far away from her as well as you can.

Rotgrip is a DPS race, I'd say. Aside from normal auto attacks, he'll apply a stacking bleed, as Fibber said, and he'll also occasionally regenerate health by attacking your pet with a devastating leeching strike. Your pet will probably lose a bunch of HP, and he'll gain, like, 5%. You need to kill him before he kills your pet.

Usually I leap down the waterfall when he's far away. I have my pet Dash to him and Growl, then come back a bit, go back in to Growl, come back to me a bit more, one more Growl... a few Growls while your pet fetches him for you can really help with your initial DPS. Hit him for a few, Aimed and Multi if you're confident you won't need the mana later on, but try to keep your pet up. When you eventually take aggro, you have two options: Simply feign him off and pop everything you've got in an attempt to finish him, or if your pet's really low, hold aggro on Rotgrip for a few. Deterrence could help you dodge his leeching strike, which would really help with staying alive and killing him faster. Fire off a Distracting Shot too if you're going all-in. You should be able to hold him long enough with or without Deterrence for stacks to drop off your pet, and then feign as you would in scenario one.

I advise spamming Mend Pet right after the Feign Death to get your pet back up to full. Then, you can Rapid Fire and go ham without worry that your pet won't survive. It's a guaranteed kill if you account for Rotgrip's damage output with a little aggro hopping and smart Mend timing. Also, in case you might be wondering, I usually end up popping Rapid Fire around 40-60%. Ashjre'thul murders this croc. With an inferior weapon, 30-40% is a very safe bet for Rapid Fire.

Well, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Yea sometimes she throws so many rocks you have to bandage yourself lol. But when she never throws rock, is when its most annoying for me. I let my pet get down to 20% health and then (alright cant wait any longer) mend pet. BAM she rocks me.   /middle finger princess.

The only mostly reliable rock is the first one.  She almost always throws it about 2 globals into the fight.  Thats why I hold the rapid fire for a couple seconds.

23 hours ago, Fibber said:

Yea sometimes she throws so many rocks you have to bandage yourself lol. But when she never throws rock, is when its most annoying for me. I let my pet get down to 20% health and then (alright cant wait any longer) mend pet. BAM she rocks me.   /middle finger princess.

UGH. I hate that.

Yeah :p The rapid fire won't really go to great use on Princess given that you can just whittle her down bit by bit without. She has very thick armor that absorbs a lot of damage, it can help a bit but it's not really as useful as it would be on Rotgrip. Rotgrip takes soooo much damage from physical shots that Rapid Fire goes to great use killing him quick.

On 7/9/2017 at 5:37 AM, Raziya said:

UGH. I hate that.

Yeah :p The rapid fire won't really go to great use on Princess given that you can just whittle her down bit by bit without. She has very thick armor that absorbs a lot of damage, it can help a bit but it's not really as useful as it would be on Rotgrip. Rotgrip takes soooo much damage from physical shots that Rapid Fire goes to great use killing him quick.

Thats an excellent point, and I never thought about it. I just thought, well she's the hardest boss so lets rapid fire on her.

After countless mara clears, I decided to waste some money on "of healing" gear.  I shopped around for cheap stuff, and got exactly 300+ healing for around 75g.  gloves / belt / pants / offhand / wrist / cloak / shoulders / head. A lot of stuff is over priced. I didn't buy anything for more than 10g. 

It makes mend pet heal for 304 per tick instead of 245.  It doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I stopped using intimidation on croc just to see how much my pet could survive.  My pet had 10 stacks of bleed on him and survived the encounter. As for princess, there is no risk of ever going oom. If you get kicked, who cares. She can kick me as much as she wants. bonus healing is a big difference.

From what I've been told, +heal was very popular back in retail vanilla for hunters who wanted to solo dungeons. Quite interesting! I used MP5 gear for the DM T solo before moving back here to Elysium. There are lots of things which could offer a benefit if you get creative with it, for sure.

I prefer to either go in and strongarm it with normal gear or wear some T1 and be lazy about it. I typically favor better times over easier runs. 3p T1 makes a HUGE difference though! I can't imagine what it would be like mending one's pet with 3p T1 and lots of +heal gear, but for Maraudon, surely it must be overkill.

When fighting Rotgrip i only use 1 or 2 growls (if i haven't critted with 1st aimed or if i had) at the start of the fight, so after second aimed shot i pull the aggro. After that i tank till i'm able to (making sure not to die from the bleed), FD and finish him off. He usually dies in melee.