Sign in to follow this  
mbd

How exactly does player resistance work in PvE?

14 posts in this topic

Hey, so I'm curious about the resistances and the numbers behind them for bosses requiring resistances such as Huhu or Warlock tanks on Twins. I can't seem to find much information out there for how resistances function in vanilla.

From what I understand the cap for bosses is 315, 5 res per level. What does this cap indicate? Does it simply mean that a further increase in resistance has no additional effect?

Is the DMG reduction from resistances linear as it increases?

If I have say 50 shadow resistance, does this mean that every shadow spell will partially resist, and the DMG will be reduced by the equivalent amount of SR I have, and I assume it also increases the chance to fully resist? Is there a chance that a spell may not resist at all, or will everything at least partially resist?

Those are basically the things I've been wondering about as I collect resistance gear for several bosses and aim toward the 'caps' people ask for. I know some questions sound basic and I'm sure the answers are as obvious as I think, still nice to know for sure. Would be nice to have an idea how it works before I aimlessly throw gear on myself toward a number I don't understand.

Any further info apprechiated! The more the better!

Thanks!

resistance is a linear gain in damage reduction up to 75% which is at 5*enemy level. Spell resistance comes in two types, binary and partial, the spell itself deciding which it is. The percentage I gave is both the chance to resist a binary and the reduction for partials. The other values you hear mentioned are, I believe, the values at which the text for your resistance changes

59 minutes ago, Sabre said:

English translation would be nice.

From left to right:

Resistance - Chance to resist 100% of a spell - 75% - 50% - 25% - Chance of resisting no damage at all - Chance of resisting indirect or non-damage spells (ex. AoE spells or debuffs that don't do damage when applied) 

Looks like the sheet is for a level 60 player/mob though, since it should cap out at 315 for raid bosses. 

Thanks for the responses, that has cleared it up nicely, works differently than I thought. Basically it increases the chance to resist a greater amount the more you get, and even at the cap there will always be a 1% chance of the full DMG amount going through. Good to know for Twin emps, important to have a bit of stam there for the rarer, but larger hits on the Warlocks.

It is useful for PvP and for calculating how much resistance a character should aim for in PvE environment.

since it should cap out at 315 for raid bosses

315 is the weapon skill needed for melee characters to completely negate the level-difference miss chance of raid bosses. Casters need +hit gear to overcome the same difference. It has nothing to do with spell resistances which are calculated separately from the level-based hit/miss calculation. 

On 9/6/2017 at 9:09 AM, Sabre said:

English translation would be nice.

the f? it's a well known language go learn something outside of your comfort zone

5 hours ago, Justme said:

the f? it's a well known language go learn something outside of your comfort zone

1 hour ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

Some people just can't understand math and % signs.  It's a foreign language to them.

Obnoxious french people detected. I simply want to know what the chart means on this English forum for an English based game.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:23 PM, Pottu said:

Resistances.gif

Column 1 (the left most): YOUR Resistance value that you see on the Character screen frame

Column 2: Your chance to resist 100% of the incoming damage.

Column 3: Your chance to resist 75% of the incoming damage.

Column 4: Your chance to resist 50% of the incoming damage.

Column 5: Your chance to resist 25% of the incoming damage.

Column 6: Your chance to resist 0% of the incoming damage (so chance you'll take full damage).

Not exactly sure what Column 7 (the right most) is for, but I assume it's for your chance to resist non-damaging effects ... things like Polymorph ... or maybe even DoTs which work on an "all or nothing" system rather than on a partial resist system.

If you can't read the numbers ... well ... that's your problem.

It's indirect damage so AoE spells that are not targeted at you.