Sign in to follow this  
Raz87

Striker's Garb

Hello,

Darrowshire Huntere here.

With AQ just around the corner for Darrowshire, and having taken a much closer look at this set, Striker's Garb, I'm really confused.

What is this set for? It has slightly higher stats such as Stamina and Agility, than T2, because of the higher itemlevel and therefore also stat budget. But every single other aspect of the set, is just so bad. What is the point of this set? For an Arcane Shot spec? Is that even a thing? Is it used for kiting? It's set bonuses are just horrible. Were Blizz high when they designed this? I know this is vanilla and plate gear with spirit + agilty is a thing (Yada yada), but it really seems like they were just fucking around, trying out random shit when you look at this set. I'm so confused.... Striker's Garb

What is it for? Any answers are greatly appreciated, lol.

Kind regards, 

Raz

Challenge accepted.

Striker's Diadem
416 Armor
+29 Agility
+18 Intellect
+10 Spirit
+26 Stamina
Equip: Improves your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 12.

Striker's Footguards
340 Armor
+31 Agility
+8 Intellect
+6 Spirit
+16 Stamina
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 6.

Striker's Hauberk
553 Armor
+39 Agility
+15 Intellect
+7 Spirit
+26 Stamina
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 9.

Striker's Leggings
448 Armor
+36 Agility
+14 Intellect
+10 Spirit
+22 Stamina
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 9.

Striker's Pauldrons
384 Armor
+26 Agility
+11 Intellect
+5 Spirit
+24 Stamina
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 6.

(3) Set: Reduces the cost of your Arcane Shots by 10%.
(5) Set: Reduces the cooldown of your Rapid Fire ability by 2 minutes.

Total Armor: 2141
Total Agility: +151
Total Intellect: +66
Total Spirit: +38
Total Stamina: +114
Total Critical Strike: +3%
Total Spell Power (damage and healing): +42
Reduces Rapid Fire cooldown from 5 minutes to 3 minutes.
Equipment slots left open (12): Neck, Back, Wrist, Hand, Waist, Ring 1, Ring 2, Trinket 1, Trinket 2, Main Hand, Off-Hand, Ranged Weapon

It's essentially a Marksman Set, but one that can be used by "every Hunter spec" instead of just Marksman spec alone, and which is meant to augment (slightly) the damage potential of your Magic (as opposed to Physical) attacks.  The +Healing will boost your Mend Pet skill (ever so slightly).

15 seconds of Rapid Fire every 5 minutes is a 1:20 uptime ratio of a +40% ranged weapon speed boost (combine with Improved Aspect of the Hawk proc for most noticeable effect).

15 seconds of Rapid Fire every 3 minutes is a 1:12 uptime ratio of a +40% ranged weapon speed boost (combine with Improved Aspect of the Hawk proc for most noticeable effect).

Arcane Shot (untalented) has a 6 second cooldown, but with 5/5 Improved Arcane Shot this can be lowered to 5 seconds ... which effectively increases the mana cost over time by +20% if always fired at every cooldown (6/5=1.2).  5/5 Efficiency plus the 3 Set Bonus adds up to ... +20% reduced mana cost for Arcane Shot ... bringing the Mana Per Second cost of Arcane Shot back into line with its untalented version.

It's a Set that is "limited" enough to allow you to pick up pieces of ANOTHER SET to combine with it, so don't think of this Set as being ALL you'll be wearing.  You could be wearing a few other Sets in addition to this one.

Ironically, this Set looks like it might be fairly decent at supporting a MM/Survival build, particularly if going 30-31 talent points deep into Survival (in which case you're looking at around +173-174 Agility and getting even more Health out of that +114 Stamina).

But yeah, on balance it looks like you're right ... this Set by itself isn't filling any particular NEED except perhaps as an adjunct to combine with ANOTHER Set (or two or three) to create powerful combos.  For starters, I'd want to have the Primal Blessing Set as my melee weapons and then start looking at what other Sets I could put into the remaining equipment slots for even more Set Bonuses.

Think of this Set as being only HALF, or maybe even a THIRD (or a quarter?) of your equipped gear, rather than it being everything you've got.  In that sense, the Set is very "flexible" in that it can be combined with a lot of other possible Sets.

I know you can combine it with pieces from other sets. That's pretty obvious with it only being 5 pieces, as compared to the 8 (T1 & T2) or 9 (T3) of the other ones.

But my point is, that the Head, Shoulders, Chest, Legs, and Feet-slots would benefit you way more, were you wearing something like Dragonstalker (T2), even though it's a "worse" set, in the sense that it has a lower stat budget. But simply because of the design of Striker's Garb, it just seems so badly made for any Hunter spec or even playstyle.

Look at any Hunter guide: "Don't ever use Arcane Shot", and here we have a set made to buff Arcane Shot (I'm like "Wat"). Hunter guides don't even have a value for something like Spell Damage, simply because it's a mostly worthless stat for us. Yet here's a set where it's supposedly it's main feature that it has this Spell Damage. It's the equvelivant of having a Warrior set with +Spell Healing, so Bloodthirst and Blood Raze will heal more, I mean come on, lol.

On top of all this, by using the 5 item slots on Striker's Garb, you're actively choosing to not be using the set bonuses from the other sets, which are actually really great. Ranged Armor Debuff for the whole raid? Yes please! More RAP? Don't mind if I do! More AP to me AND my pet? Yup!

It seems to me that:

8/8 T2 > 5/5 T2.5 + 3/8 T2.

3 hours ago, Raz87 said:

Were Blizz high when they designed this?

Probably the best answer is that they were looking to diversify into supporting off-meta specs ... and failed.

Occam's Razor(arrows) and all that ...

Makes me wonder if this was originally intended to be a Survivalist Set to be augmented by Lightning Reflexes and Survivalist that just got mangled too badly during development and then they ran out of time and just shoved it out the door rather than spend any more resources on it.  Result?  Junk of all Trades, master of nothing.

The T2.5 Hunter Set stand as the odd man out of the Hunter Sets in vanilla, stat wise it is a very slightly stat upgrade over T2, but in comparison to the massive stat upgrade that Hunters get with T3. It leaves the T2.5 as basically almost a side-grade in many hunter's eyes.

In terms of overall hunter itemization for Hunters in patch 1.9, there are basically 5 ways to itemize your Hunter that are all pretty close to each other in terms of dps except for one.

1. T1 8/8: This might surprise a lot of Hunters, but with the advent of many more debuffs now being used by mages(ignite) and warlocks(more of them starting to use corruption) and other DPS classes beginning to outscale Hunters in terms of dps and gear, suddenly Hunters occupying up to 2 essential debuff slots (Expose Weakness and Hunter's Mark) does not sound very desirable at all if you are a raid leader. This is why T1 8/8 is still very much viable, it doesn't take up any debuff slots and and its bonus set is still amazing (the best bonus set Hunters ever get in my opinion).

2. T2 8/8: Standard item set that most hunters have when they enter AQ, stats are really good as a T2 set, the 3/8 and 8/8 set bonuses are really good as well. The more Hunters have this set the better as the Expose Weakness debuff essentially will have higher uptime which means more DPS overall. Downside is, as I already mentioned, is that depending on your guild you might not be allowed to wear this set anymore YMMV essentially.

3. Mix and Match: With this option you essentially take the best pieces in every single slot while trying to get as many good set bonuses as possible guaranteeing that the Hunter gets as much agility as possible. 3 out of 8 pieces of T2 are a must and if you have the blue pvp set it is even better because you can get the 20 agility set bonus from just two pieces (disregard this if the pvp gear is not updated). The purpose of this set is the Hunter is maximizing their overall damage without relying on procs or anything like that. The only downside basically is that you will literally look like a clown so you better invest into some noggenfogger or deviate fish.

4. T2.5 5/5: People will criticize this gear choice, but it is actually surpisingly useful. Stat wise every single T2.5 piece is better than its T2 equivalent and also the 5/5 set bonus and bonus spell damage are actually surprisingly useful in AQ40. For one fights will on average be longer in terms of duration (especially Ouro and C'thun) and also Hunters will have to get rid of the mentality that Arcane Shot is useless, it isn't, expecially when you are constantly moving on more than half of the boss fights in AQ40.

5. Epic PvP Set: If the items are updated and you have it, WEAR IT. This is the best set you can get for PvE until Naxx.

It's designed this way because Blizzard knew Arcane Shot was trash and they were trying to do what they could to buff it so it would be included in Hunter rotations.  It's also why you have Arcane Infused Gem from Razorgore.  They attempted to give Hunters a buff to arcane damage via the secondary stat bonuses as well as the cost reduction via the set bonus.  Unfortunately even with the buffs they tried to throw at it it's still trash, making the set pretty not good.

It's a nice PvP set, and arcane shot spec is a thing. It's also fun. Pick up the Zandalarian Hero Charm and pop off arcanes, serpents, and immo traps on people while it's up and you may have some fun too.

It's an all around upgrade over dragon, but the effort required to get it isn't really worth it unless your guild has farmed AQ for a while and dumping tokens to the wayside. You see Warriors/Rogues share the same AQ tokens (for whatever stupid reason), and they will all get priority over a Hunter who adds no real DPS to a raid. No one will push you to upgrade to striker, and will in fact fight you as much as possible if you tell them you want it. This means most people will not complete this set and just skip it. As juicy as that rapid fire bonus looks; GL getting all 5 to use it. Also, unless you're survival spec, the slightly higher stats doesn't add much. The bottom line is that you have a set which provides a neglectable boost to an already neglectable DPS.

Striker's best selling point is actually the fact that it doesn't waste a debuff slot like full dragon does. This might encourage a guild better than anything else to give some to you. Your personal DPS goes up with striker (as long as you keep 3 dragon for hawk), while the raid's also goes up by not sinking a debuff slot, but again, it's unlikely any guild will give Hunters these tokens over any Warrior/Rogue. T3 is actually much easier to get because Warrior/Rogue is finally on a separate token (thank baby jesus they finally learned), meaning we don't get fucked trying to get ours. Blizzard in general didn't give any kind of a shit about this class until Naxx. All of our sets pre Naxx have serious design flaws, with the ZG one just being fucking terrible. So if you've survived eating all of the shit Blizzard forces down its throat pre Naxx, it'll finally pay off with T3.

@Drain It doesn't really take a while, badge gear is 100% drop rate. It took me just like two or three weeks to start getting some pieces because no one wanted them at that point.

When I raided at 60 I honestly thought it was a waste of time. It was called tier 2.5. I didn't think it was enough of a stat boost from tier 2 to take over the other classes you shared a turn in piece with. Spell damage and healing kinda made me sick if you used a hunter enough to know anything that we had that was spell like sucked. Serpent sting sucks. Traps damage isnt bad but compare its damage to mage and warlock aoe or dots. Same with volley. Now back in the day I did see fraps of full 2.5 hunters with the arcane trinket from BWL and spell damage enchants, rings, and weapons hitting insane arcane shots. I can only vaguely remember and couldn't tell you how it scaled. I also remember when they nerfed mend pet because some hunter stacked plus healing mail gear and could tank raid bosses with a turtle. Far as for BMs for pets, until you got tier 3 it would seem best to run 2 pieces tier 1 and rest tier 2.