Sign in to follow this  
BlazeFury

WoW Classic will reduce the number of players here?

When the WoW Classic will be launched, do you expect the players to leave in order to play retail WoW Classic?

I think the effect will be the opposite: the launch of WoW Classic will attract a lot of attention and interest from the players, too many of them still don't know what Vanilla WoW is, so they will try to experience a private server too.

I suggest the admins to prepare one or two more realms, just in case. Without investing too much energy in it, of course. Because nobody knows the effects of the WoW Classic launch on the private servers

I doubt it's worth planning for a massive influx, at least not at first.  If Blizzard managed to produce a decent old skool experience it might attract some of those who play on private servers - those of us who are here because we wanted to play vanilla but otherwise weren't dissatisfied with Blizzard at least until it's clear how good the Blizzard experience is.  A bigger question may be Blizzard classic longevity given the problems they are having and the direction(s) they may or may not be taking, and whether/how WoW classic fits.   

For me there is so much bad water under the bridge now - with the way retail WoW has developed, and their other games like Diablo III [Ithe latest publicity debacle being "don't you guys have phones", as good as "you think you do by you don't"] - that I won't be returning to Blizzard in a hurry. In any relationship you can get to the point where enough is enough.  I can see myself remaining on elysium as long as it's playable.

People are on a private server for a reason, they don't want to pay monthly, don't like what bliz/activision are doing or just like vanilla. either way i doubt there will be any loss of players. the only ones who will go to the classic are those who already have an active subscription. it unlikely you'll start a subscription just to play classic. my only concern with private servers is their stability, could close at any time. 

Yeah, good point about the subs.  As to stability of private servers ... this one must be getting on for two years old now [well, thinking of when the nost database was passed across and what became anathema -originally called elysium as I recall - was created]. There were a few hiccups but it's carried on.  As far as I can tell, the team has active developers.  The GMs are active and responsive and helpful.  The team listens to players.  I don't play actively at the moment but from the account page I see up to 2.5k online some days [weekends, maybe Mondays too?].  There is no pay to win mentality, you can make any donation you like, there are just a few perks that people could nitpick over making things easier [big bags, xp token] but frankly I'm fine with them.   

With Blizzard - well I know classic should change it, but otherwise there are basically two year slots to work within, after which it's all change for an expansion.  What will happen after two years of classic?  Who will play anyway only active wow subscribers [and others limited to low levels?]? 

healsvsbabyface has a video about retail wow numbers btw worth watching, it's guesswork to some extent but it doesn't look good for retail wow, and classic will likely be a fraction of that.  I wonder how the numbers will compare to private servers. 

Releasing official Classic will swallow huge amount if not 90% of Vanilla Pservers Players within a time.

There will always be some players who are going to play Pservers, regardless , but not as it used to be until the release of Official Classic day .

As for Pay2Win , deal with that , Pservers will always have form of P2W , nobody can stop it , nothing is for free , you have this "free donation" , but to run a server it require money and time , you are here as "Client or Visitor" , nobody force you to do it , but it's also all up to you if you do it or not.

From my experience P2W is big problem for Pservers and it cost them huge loss of Fans or Players , but it's their ownership , it's their Server regardless if it's a Pirate or not , it's up to their policy whether they are loosing or getting profit or servers running. 

If you like = play , if you don't like = make your own server or join another , so simple and democratic. 

Nothing is forever , but there always will be something as alternative from Official. 

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

Yes people will leave this server for an official one.  People here fail to realize that there are many players who enjoy vanilla but do not enjoy playing on a pvp server.  There is also the issue with server stability; rollbacks; boss encounters; pathing; etc etc etc.  While none of this is game breaking for the vast majority of players (I assume anyway) there are people who will definitely leave.  

I think the one saving grace for this server is that it will progress to the Burning Crusade, presumably before classic launches.  I'm sure there will be a lot of players who stay on this server just so they can play BC.  I imagine there will also be players who leave to go play Classic that may or may not come back here once they get a feel on how Classic actually plays out, or just get tired of Classic and want go relive TBC greatness.

While there isn't a subscription to play this game there are people (like me) who do spend money on xp boosts, etc to help support the folks to spend time, energy and money to keep this server going.  I personally think is quite selfish for players to play for free and never bother to donate some money to keep this server alive.  I think the big question is how many players does it take to keep this server going forward.  If the player population gets too low I imagine that the people who run this will need to figure out for themselves if the effort is worth the reward.  

I, for one, will be leaving.  While I've enjoyed playing vanilla, I do not enjoy spending the very limited free time I have to play a video game constantly being ganked.  It is not enjoyable for me.   And TBC zones are a lot smaller than classic zones so I imagine that the pvp will only increase in Outland.  

@joebanzai you make a good point about those who want PvE. The private community hasn't had much success launching PvE servers. I think anyone playing on the PVP servers who don't like it, but do like the game are going to switch as fast as they can back to retail when classic drops.

Should donations not keep the project alive financially I think the staff here would keep it going for quite a while before we would let it close.

When retail TBC launched the first probably 36 hours were a gank fest - then it calmed down after that because everyone really wants to reach max level and enjoy 5-man/raiding content and arenas. Then it commences again mostly in the farming areas like nagrand.

5 hours ago, Zancon said:

@joebanzai you make a good point about those who want PvE. The private community hasn't had much success launching PvE servers. I think anyone playing on the PVP servers who don't like it, but do like the game are going to switch as fast as they can back to retail when classic drops.

Nost had a great PVE server, thats where I came from, my characters transferred here, the Nost PVP server became Anathema, and had 1 lowbie druid there from before Nost PVE server was born.

Speaking of Anathema, it sure would be nice to see that lowbie druid again... When was this merge going to happen?

I honestly don't plan on going to WoW classic. First off, I doubt they are going to offer "just classic" installation and I don't want all that gunk on my PC. Also, as a filthy casual, I don't want to pay the monthly cost for the fraction of the game I would be playing. I'm content playing here and kicking some cash over every now and then for cute companions and bags and whatnot. I'm looking forward to TBC expansion coming out even though I doubt I'll be leveled enough XD (I was happy with WoW up until WotLK)

Think there will be a drop, atleast at first as a minimum.
I will be going, since old guildies from back then is starting up new chars, and i will be dragging atleast 4 guys from Nighthaven with me, if they will be playing on both or come back i cant say.
Nor if i will be back. 
It all depends if blizzard does a worse job than EP, 
Hopefully they keep it pure, atleast for people who wills it so.
I am especially looking forward higher populated servers. 

No plans in re subbing to blizz, i honestly would be surprised if we lose players, but that said i think the biggest treat to a drop in numbers would be this second server opening.......why?