Lazydork

Warrior or hunter?

So for the return of Nostalrius I'm thinking about life choices and this is one of those choices. I'm not much of a tank person so I'd like to either role arms warrior or marksman hunter. I played on original Nostalrius as a ret pally (yes, I had nearly full MC and NightFall) and I wanted something new for the fresh server... What is your guys thoughts ? I like arms because mortal strike helps reduce healing and on some bosses this is useful and thunderclap can be effective as well; whereas I find hunters fun because pets are neat and tranq shot is quite useful and never dying solo is nice.

Edited by Lazydork

Since you posted in PvE section, I'll assume that you are interested for that aspect of the game. Arms is not really good choice for PvE, and while it does have some advantages trough out leveling process, in end game arms dps is among lowest. I'm pretty sure that none of the competitive guilds will accept arms specced warrior because TC can easily be kept up by off-tanks (and lets not even talk about debuff limit).

It'll be much easier to roll hunter, everyone needs tranq shot.

Edited by Elviss

Big pro to a Hunter is a lack of competition for gear. I don't know first hand but it seems like the Hunter in vanilla is like chess, easy to learn, difficult to master. They can do very well, plus they are probably the easiest to level.

Big pro to a Hunter is a lack of competition for gear. I don't know first hand but it seems like the Hunter in vanilla is like chess, easy to learn, difficult to master. They can do very well, plus they are probably the easiest to level.

Very true. Anyone can level a hunter to 60, being probably the easiest class to level, which also led to that infamous "huntard" slur - but it takes a very skilled player to reach good DPS in raids and master kiting and double-trapping and other tricks of the trade. Aim to be a pro hunter, Lazydork, don't settle for being a huntard!

Its worth noting at this point that hunters fall off the dps charts as content progresses. You start out as pretty much top dps in average mc progression guilds due to lack of caster itemisation and melee having a hard time with all the aoe damage, but that changes after a few weeks. In AQ/naxx warriors reach their peak and hunters rather play a support role, some guilds even have only hunter alts waiting outside for the one boss where he is needed while they play on their main character for the other bosses. As a fury you will have good times in pve, they are needed in large numbers in raid setups, you will need to offtank however, depending on the situation.

Very true. Anyone can level a hunter to 60, being probably the easiest class to level, which also led to that infamous "huntard" slur - but it takes a very skilled player to reach good DPS in raids and master kiting and double-trapping and other tricks of the trade. Aim to be a pro hunter, Lazydork, don't settle for being a huntard!

Reminds me on Paladin , difference is the slow leveling , other than that is very difficult to master as Ret/Prot which led up to many "Retardins" and the sentence used ;).

/Kind regards Killerduki

If it makes any difference my friend is playing a holy priest with me. I currently think I'll play a hunter but there will always be a place in my heart for the melee 2h classes (I miss meh ret pally)

From personall experience levelling as a Warrior is one of the most painful things in the world.. its slow and you will struggle to kill things a few lvls above ( defo a earlier lvls).. and after most fights you will need to bandage or eat. Plus side, if you're half decent and alert you will find dungeon groups easy and around lvl 50+ you get a lot stronger and smash mobs with more ease.

Hunter - spec BM and ding - ding - ding..

Well, I will roll a new warrior for 2h slam+ a tanking set for offtanking and such ofc, but I have leveled a lot of warriors from vanilla til now and dont think its as bad as ppl say. Even leveled 1 as prot back in vanilla cause I liked the looks with shield. 

But if you gonna roll on the new realm, just make 1 of each on old and try out cause it seems we will have to wait awhile and everyone that will play on new pvp will play on old while waiting. Even I might change my mind, cant remember what level my warrior is on old realm or my priest for that matter, if they take their time I might get the love for some healer class instead. 

This ^

Leveling as a hunter is fun because you can kill a lot of mobs way above your level. Puts some speed in things so to say.

After reaching 60 (and ditching BM) the real fun begins.

To be of some use as DPS in raiding you'll have to be top of the line when it comes to knowing how to play the class.

And sure, there are better classes for Raid DPS but imo the first and foremost thing is to know what you're doing.

(Note: I might not be entirely objective on the matter ;)