Armilus

Prot Warrior Guide by Armilus v2

Does anyone know if you can push off crits if you keep up shield block like on nost, or do you have to be 440 to never get crit by a raid boss?

Tanking instances became much easier at lvl 40, when I switched from fury to arms, because of the stance dancing.

I am thinking about switching from arms to prot at lvl 55+ to lvl in instances while I farm the pre raid bis in BRD, Strath and DM. Will I require to switch to prot to tank these?

11 minutes ago, KonigsTiger said:

Tanking instances became much easier at lvl 40, when I switched from fury to arms, because of the stance dancing.

I am thinking about switching from arms to prot at lvl 55+ to lvl in instances while I farm the pre raid bis in BRD, Strath and DM. Will I require to switch to prot to tank these?

I would do it at 58 to make things easier since you will be too low level to tank emp at 55 and most people want to do him in BRD. It's not mandatory to go prot to tank the dungeons, but you will have a harder time as arms than if you are prot. I would personally swap to a 5 man prot build at 58 regardless of if you are planning to tank or dps in the raids as you can respec to your raiding spec shortly before your first raid.

3 minutes ago, zmandude24 said:

I would do it at 58 to make things easier since you will be too low level to tank emp at 55 and most people want to do him in BRD. It's not mandatory to go prot to tank the dungeons, but you will have a harder time as arms than if you are prot. I would personally swap to a 5 man prot build at 58 regardless of if you are planning to tank or dps in the raids as you can respec to your raiding spec shortly before your first raid.

Could you please reccomend me a dungeon build? I have only seen raid builds.

Thanks 

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lq0LZVZEizoeMzVo

Honestly the raid builds work fine for 5 mans, but you will want to put in 4 points into tactical mastery so you can apply thunder clap to targets easily. The build I have is just the standard prot build intended for raiding MTs, but the points in improved shield wall are reallocated to 2 more in tactical mastery.

4 minutes ago, Asherdoom said:

for AOE pulls in dungeons we only can spam battle shout or demo shout and hope that mage/ lock aoe dont steal aggro from us?

Pretty much this, though I haven't done any testing to find out which one to use since I don't know how they are scripted.

demo shout gives me no threat whatsoever i checked with KTM active. battle shout yes but we are worthless in aoe pulls. no matter what i do if i pull more than 2 mobs is a real issue lol

wtb paladin consecration >.<

7 minutes ago, Asherdoom said:

demo shout gives me no threat whatsoever i checked with KTM active. battle shout yes but we are worthless in aoe pulls. no matter what i do if i pull more than 2 mobs is a real issue lol

wtb paladin consecration >.<

Keep in mind that KTM might not track every source of threat accurately as it is just an estimation and not showing the exact threat, so it might not have demo in the program. Do you lose aggro when spamming it when a dps or healer does pretty much anything?

Edited by zmandude24

2 minutes ago, zmandude24 said:

Keep in mind that KTM might not track every source of threat accurately as it is just an estimation and not showing the exact threat, so it might not have demo in the program. Do you lose aggro when spamming it when a dps or healer does pretty much anything?

yes there is no way i can hold 4+ mobs with shouts, the ideal would be spam sunder armor around or revenge but is impossibe due to aoe damage spread on all mobs

4 minutes ago, Asherdoom said:

yes there is no way i can hold 4+ mobs with shouts, the ideal would be spam sunder armor around or revenge but is impossibe due to aoe damage spread on all mobs

The shouts don't do that much compared to consencration, but they at least do something when they work properly.

12 minutes ago, zmandude24 said:

The shouts don't do that much compared to consencration, but they at least do something when they work properly.

i believe that battle shout works correctly. problem is it does not generate as much aggro as other aoe spells (ofc is a buff). my only hope is that dps dont start aoe as soon as i pull, which is prtty much impossible lol

Demo shout generates enough aggro to keep stuff away from healers, you can improve your aoe threat by having buffs like thorns, fire shield and other similar effects. Also, having a force reactive disk helps a lot, it's the best aoe tanking tool in the game.

Another buff you can give yourself is drink a Gift of Arthas potion.  Pretty inexpensive and the rebuff it puts on mobs generates aggro, as well in a heavy melee group increases damage done.  Crystal spire helps.  I always have pally give me ret aura over demo if I only got 1 pally. (If you are alli)

im horde lol so no pallies. well was asking that because i see in aoe there is no way i can do something n matter what i use. well guess is a warrio flaw then i will try with gift of arthas.

Force Reactive Disk will make your life so much easier.  Put a spike on it too.

The proc itself has a 50% chance to damage the shield by 1 durability point.  So don't just keep it on at all times.  Just the AoE pulls, and once you've established the AoE threat you need to maintain the pull, swap to your other shield mid combat.

Edited by Undertanker

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:40 AM, Moomo said:

Hello, I wanted to ask if it's absolutly crucial to be a tauren if I want to tank? How good is the racial extra hp? I know it's differ from other expansions? Also I don't have a guild yet, would it affect my application if I was a orc tank?

It doesn't seem to affect it too much from what I've seen. I've seen many orc MTs in 8/8 BwL guilds on nost PvP and getting the MT spot is extremely competitive. If you are rolling a new character, I would roll Tauren, but you can still tank just fine on an Orc if you already made an Orc.

5% life is nothing.  For example: if your warrior "non tauren" would have lets say 4000 HP about, a tauren warrior would have 4200hp... TOTALLY GAMEBREAKING OMG! :D

i personally am tanking with orc because armor sets looks nice on orc male  and so far nothing destroyed my life.

1 hour ago, Asherdoom said:

5% life is nothing.  For example: if your warrior "non tauren" would have lets say 4000 HP about, a tauren warrior would have 4200hp... TOTALLY GAMEBREAKING OMG! :D

i personally am tanking with orc because armor sets looks nice on orc male  and so far nothing destroyed my life.

Depends on the situation really. When you are fully buffed it's more like 7-8k HP so it's closer to an extra 400HP. Still nothing crazy but if your guild doesn't have the best DPS or healers, it's more useful than anything else.

On the other hand, if your guild has crazy min/max DPS you might want an orc MT using an axe for the extra weapon skill.

In the end, gear and skill are more important than race for tanking but if you do want the best race for the not-dying aspect of tanking, then ya tauren is technically the best for horde.

Edited by Armilus

18 hours ago, Armilus said:

In the end, gear and skill are more important than race for tanking

i totally agree with this part. My retail vanilla guild in horde side had main tank troll warrior :)

18 hours ago, Asherdoom said:

i totally agree with this part. My retail vanilla guild in horde side had main tank troll warrior :)

Bezerking when he gets low HP to get 30% faster attack speed = 30% more rage generation during up-time for more abilities to use on threat.

+5 skill gives about 8% more white hit rage all the time.

End game fully buffed (w/ world buffs)  around 12,500.  5%, is an extra 625 HP putting you at 13,125 HP.  Every bit helps with Patchwerk.

On 13/2/2017 at 7:03 AM, Undertanker said:

Bezerking when he gets low HP to get 30% faster attack speed = 30% more rage generation during up-time for more abilities to use on threat.

+5 skill gives about 8% more white hit rage all the time.

End game fully buffed (w/ world buffs)  around 12,500.  5%, is an extra 625 HP putting you at 13,125 HP.  Every bit helps with Patchwerk.

apart that trolls are awesome mon! :D

On 2017-01-27 at 3:58 PM, Asherdoom said:

for AOE pulls in dungeons we only can spam battle shout or demo shout and hope that mage/ lock aoe dont steal aggro from us?

If you had read the guide you would know that threat from buffing is divided among the mobs so battle shout gets worse the more mobs there are.

Do I generate aggro with battle shout/demoralizing shout each time that I use them? so lets say a group of mini adds come to the group, I use demo shout to aggro them. Should I keep spamming the shout, or I wont generate additional threat on them?

12 minutes ago, KonigsTiger said:

Do I generate aggro with battle shout/demoralizing shout each time that I use them? so lets say a group of mini adds come to the group, I use demo shout to aggro them. Should I keep spamming the shout, or I wont generate additional threat on them?

Battleshout is a better alternative to generate threat on many targets. I use it for supression room in BWL with great success.