Wortgewandt

Needs more Claws - How to Cat

I was asked on numerous times in and outside the game to provide an indepth guide on how to cat properly. We'll I've finally found the time to do it. So here goes:

Index
1. Introduction
2. Stats
3. Talents, Abilitys & Prio List
4. Utilization & Buffs
5. Addons
6. Outcome

1. Introduction

Spoiler

First things First. Trying to do DPS as a Feral requires absolute Dedication to maximize your stats. You will need worldbuffs, you will need to be on point on gear, abilitys and you need to be able to multitask. Cats can output a high burst damage but it is hard to maintain the output later on in many encounters. If you're having a high ping or lag, I would
recommend you pick another DPS specc/class as you'll loose lots of dps.

2. Stats

Spoiler

Ferals are Stat beasts. No other class/specc in Vanilla so desperately requires high Stats over AP/SP etc. Stats have 2 priority lists that are as follows:

If you are raidbuffed and you have less than 33% crit: Hit > Agi > Str > Crit
If you are raidbuffed and you have 33% crit or more: Hit > Str > Agi > Crit

Primary Stats:

1 Str = 2.2 AP
1 Agi = 1.0 AP 0.05% Crit

Secondary Stats:
9% Hit is perfect, 7-8% are still fine early on, but you will need to have 9% to be Raidready.
AP = ( AP From Str + 2.4 (HotW talent points) + 120 + Agility ) + (Predatory Strikes = LVL * 1.5) - 20

Weapon Stats:
Cats dont require weapons. Unlike other melee classes, cats get their own Formweapon. Your Weaponstats = DPS on your character sheet which is calculated as  (Weapon_DPS (when naked) + AP/14)

3. Talents, Abilitys & Prio List

Spoiler

As a Feral in PVE, you basically use 4 Abilitys. Those are Shred, Omen of Clarity, Ferocious Bite and Rip where applicable. 

Lets have a look at how each Ability is utilized:

Omen of Clarity: Chance on hit with letting you FB/Rip/Shred for free.
Shred: Deals 225% +180 DMG of your ''Weapon''. Gives 2 CP per Crit
Rip: (Currently bugged) is supposed to deal a fixed amount of Damage. Currently it doesnt.
Ferocious Bite: Deals fixed amount of Damage + 2.5 DMG per energy + an amount given from your AP.  NEVER USE IT WITH LESS THAN 4 CP. If you use FB with 4 CP, make sure to have atleast 50-60 energy to make up for the last combopoint loss.

The Prio list including Rip is as follows: Rip > FB > Shred
Without Rip, its pretty much a Rotation: Shred, Shred, Shred, FB, Repeat.

As for your talent specc, you do not have many choices and this is what i am currently running: http://realmplayers.com/Talents.aspx#0x0VhoZVoxsfddtV

4. Utilization & Buffs

Spoiler

As a cat, you have to be able to multitask and keep track of 3 things. Your Mana, your energy Reg and your Autoattack ticks. Your main source of DPS will be Shred and to be able to use it to its fullest, you need to Powershit. Powershifting is the continous shifting from catform into caster back into catform. The purpose for this is regain 60 energy
instantly to use Shred, wait 1 energy tick and then Shred again. However, it is very mana costly and you can only do it for so long. Omen of Clarity will help in this process as it lets you shred for free on occasion. So bring lots a mana pots.
[color=#0070dd]Wolfshead Helm[/color] is the most important thing to get. Without it, your DPS will be lousy and powershifting will be relativly useless.
My personal preference, when i am fully buffed (including worldbuffs) is to powershift between an energy tick and the next auto attack, because when using Draconic Maul and you shift out of cat, the swing will be instant and most of the time will crit between 700 to 1000 DMG. This is extra DPS, but it needs good timing.

Buffs:
Foodwise: if you are under 33% crit, 10Agi, otherwise 10/20Str.
Weapon: Elemental Sharpening Stone. Dont use +Weapon DMG, its bugabuse and will get you banned.
Worldbuffs: Darkmoon (3-10%) > ZG > Ony > Songflower > DM (Highcrit / 15% stats increase is much more valuable than 200 AP)
Consumables: Use Jujus over Giants/Winterfall. Those couple of stats might just push you over the next higher in DPS. Mongoose is a must, and so is the blasted lands consumable. Ofcourse, as with all the others: If below 33% crit, use the +25 Agi if above, use the +25Str.

Ofcourse since you're a druid, you will be asked to BR/Reg someone. So keep those free unless instructed otherwise.

5. Addons

Spoiler

There are many addons you can utilize to further your DPS and to go deeper into the material. However, be adives the more addons you use, the slower your game gets. Thus increasing the time it takes to powershift. We do not want that. However, you have to test for yourself with what amount of delay you can be comfortable with or with how much input delay you can cope.

Theorycraft - This addon is highly recommended, as it calculates the avrg DMG a spell would do on a particular target at that particular moment in time. It takes into account your targets debuffs and your own buffs. Thus a must have!
DruidBar - This is for beginners or people who simply cant multitask. It shows you your enery/rage bar in whichever form ou are currently and also displayes your mana. This is essential for cats, so youre not stuck in caster form because you run out of mana.
Recap - Recap is a fine little tool to keep track of proccs of your trinkets, buffs, crits, misses, crit/hit ratio. Alltogether a good tool to show what youre lacking after a bossfight.
Supermacro - I cant stress enough, that is is probably the most needed addon. You need this to make the extended powershift macros work.

6. Outcome:

Spoiler

Lets have a look at how to cat in a raid: Feral DPS 1.12 Anathema

I hope to see some competion pop up with this in the future. :D

Edited by Wortgewandt

8 minutes ago, taladril said:

Nice basic info guide. Watching the video though I gotta ask. How do you function without DruidBar?

*shows off his druidbar fanshirt* :D

Thanks for the guide indeed! The video was a pleasure to watch. My cat dps is far from optimal, it's inspiring to see and read about the possibilities.

5 hours ago, taladril said:

Nice basic info guide. Watching the video though I gotta ask. How do you function without DruidBar?

Because me and my guild have bwl on farm for a long long time and by now i know in what fights i require a manapot/innervate. I'll definitly pop druidbar back on once we hit new content (aq). I might add another paragraph to the guide stating what addons are neccessary. Though, as feral you want to keep your addons down to a minimum since every second counts with shifting and the more you run, the slower your game gets depending on your pc, that is.

5 hours ago, Mahtan said:

Thanks for the guide indeed! The video was a pleasure to watch. My cat dps is far from optimal, it's inspiring to see and read about the possibilities.

You're welcome! The thing with cat is, if you run prebis gear, your dps caps out around 300 at most. Cat will definitly be alot easier with the next patch, since you'll get the next higher rank for FB. 3k crits inc!

I'll upload a screen/vid of my standard ui on our next raid. Thur that is! Will keep y'all posted.

Really nice videos and guide, cool to see this amount of damage even in BWL gear.

Speaking of, is there any chance you'd share what your gear and/or macros look like?

Thanks regardless, hoping to see more in the future :)

2 hours ago, Rafale said:

is there a situation where Claw is better than Shred ? 

There is a melee range bug, when you literally need to pour your head into enemy model to use shred. In PvP it's a very dangerous ability because you can waste a lot of time to apply it on running target, which is also affected by a said range bug. Therefore you shred only a CC-ed target that can't move. In all other cases spam claw. The possible solution is a macro that uses shred, and if it fails uses claw.

4 hours ago, Rafale said:

is there a situation where Claw is better than Shred ? 

None, atleast not in PVE. The models are big enough that the current placement bug doest matter as much as you can see in the vids.

Only Mob where i can assume Claw will matter will be C'thun as he doesnt have a "back".

For raiding, the only time to use claw is if you are having a hard time with positioning and shouldn't be wasting energy sitting at 100 while you work on getting to the rear of the enemy. 

+1
It's nice to see people doing so well in "less viable" speccs.
What is your predictions on ferals in AQ?

I'm doing tanking so all gear from aq will be a huge boost to tps and a nice boost to both armor and stam pools. Plus should get a little more avoidance while I'm at it. As long as the bosses aren't hitting crazy harder or anything of that nature I should do fine. Broodlord already hits hard enough right?

For dps I'm a bit worried. We get plenty of upgrades, presuming we can con guild leaders out of bis rogue loot and obviously finally get the be all end all feral mace but everyone else is going to get upgrades too. I am worried that we will get a bonus but it'll be shadowed by bonuses everyone else is getting and we are lagging a bit as it is now. The worst part is that for dps there's only 4 upgrades in Naxx which is counting Atiesh. Four! So we may hold our own in aq but we will definitely lose ground in Naxx.

Now tanking I am still not worried. Theorycraft has proven that while druid tanks might not be ideal or are ever a good option for MT (they aren't), they do a good job of offtanking and providing the crit buff at the same time which is very valuable.

16 hours ago, taladril said:

Now tanking I am still not worried. Theorycraft has proven that while druid tanks might not be ideal or are ever a good option for MT (they aren't), they do a good job of offtanking and providing the crit buff at the same time which is very valuable.

+1 Rebirth, +1 Innervate

1 hour ago, Bedeful said:

what would you use for raids?

That really depends on your gear and the way you play. Are OT'ing more than DPSing? Are you going to offtank at all?

Each option has its own specc.

Weapon: Elemental Sharpening Stone. Dont use +Weapon DMG, its bugabuse and will get you banned.

Is this serious? Using dense weightstones is blizzlike and done in vanilla all the time by better Druid players. Permanent weapon enchants didn't work (because they increased the base weapon damage) but weightstones just increased your attack damage. Are people really getting banned over this?

Cats dont require weapons. Unlike other melee classes, cats get their own Formweapon. Your Weaponstats = DPS on your character sheet which is calculated as  (Weapon_DPS (when naked) + AP/14)

There are some good weapons with feral DPS from AQ20 onwards though. And if you want you can grind Gnomeregan for Manual Crowd Pummelers. Those weapons can be activated for +50% attack speed while shapeshifted, but you will burn through charges and want to stock up on multiple pummelers.

Edited by Aethelwulf

3 hours ago, Aethelwulf said:

Is this serious? Using dense weightstones is blizzlike and done in vanilla all the time by better Druid players. Permanent weapon enchants didn't work (because they increased the base weapon damage) but weightstones just increased your attack damage. Are people really getting banned over this?

@Aethelwulf You should bring your proof on this thread on bug tracker :

https://elysium-project.org/bugtracker/issue/1088

I wonder if I dust off my old computer, maybe I could find all my old screenshots from retail where we tested this. Or for someone at EJ to un-delete my thread from back then on there.

2 hours ago, Rafale said:

@Aethelwulf You should bring your proof on this thread on bug tracker :

https://elysium-project.org/bugtracker/issue/1088

No, I think I misremembered. I thought I read it in Elitist Jerks but when I doublechecked it was clear the dense weightstone did not work, but Elemental Sharpening Stones do. See here: http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/wow/t-11401.html Strictly speaking this is from 2.0.1 (Before the Storm, the patch before TBC release) though.

I could have sworn I overwrote the post but somehow I ended up doubleposting instead.

Edited by Aethelwulf

But what you said about Manual Crowd Pummeler ist right. This thing is phenomenal!

I had farmed 3 of them on accident and tried them out during a MC raid. 50% more speed does wonders for feral (especially if you wear rogue T0 with 6-pieces set bonus) and the activation does not trigger a cooldown. Is that even blizzlike? I only know, that they later switched the charges for an one hour long cooldown, but I have no clue.

There's no cooldown because it's charge based. Once the charges are gone then it's done. So they didn't care if you burned all 3 back to back.