Sign in to follow this  
Voice

Gaming lap for Vanilla

Ok, so i was thinking about getting a shitty lap for playing at work, how cheap and sucky a pc can pull this off. I kinda want it with a 17" monitor.

Any help or ideas would be awesome , EU player btw.

11 hours ago, Voice said:

Ok, so i was thinking about getting a shitty lap for playing at work, how cheap and sucky a pc can pull this off. I kinda want it with a 17" monitor.

Any help or ideas would be awesome , EU player btw.

Cheapest I could find:

Lenovo IdeaPad 300-17ISK (i5-6200U/4GB/1TB/No OS)

17.3" 1600x900, CPU: Intel Core i5 6200U 2.3 GHz/2,8 GHz Turbo, RAM: 4 GB, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520, 1 TB HDD

469 euros.

Will certainly be cheaper in Germany, Netherlands and France.

I can play wow without problems on my tablet (max 160 euros)

https://www.euronics.de/Computer-und-Buero/PC-und-Notebooks/2in1-Convertibles/155072/SurfTab-Twin-10.1-25-65cm-10-1-2-in-1-Detachable-Notebook-schwarz?emsrc=kw&refID=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiArbrFBRDL4Oiz97GP2nISJAAmJMFaPPaCpBN2xLk9A5vdfVMPxtHBgBrdjtktcIw6X6sVwBoC1Hvw_wcB

Check this thing out its cheap and works totally fine for me, just plugin a mouse and you are good to go

Edited by Taftu

Nearly 500 EU's is too much hehe

Looking at a used lappie atm

AMDA4-500 cpu

6GB DDR3 798Mhz ram

512MB ATI AMD radeon HD 8330

Got a 1366 x 768 monitor on it 17"

Testing it atm and i can farm without issue

This laptop you have got has got the same single-threaded performance as a Pentium 4 from 2003, and in fact a little less.

Anything with an AMD CPU is bad for WoW b/c AMD CPU's have got weak single threaded performance compared to Intel CPU's.

Case in point:

AMD A4-5000: 586 CPU marks

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.06 GHz (November 2002):  657 CPU marks.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Congrats, you are playing WoW with a CPU with a single threaded performance of a CPU made in the year 2000. Suffice to say that you won't be able to do anything else apart from solo farming.

f1REPZ7.jpg

Perhaps you didn't know, but Vanilla WoW only uses a single core and a single thread.

Even if you have an octacore CPU with great multi-threaded performance, WoW will use just one core still, so only single-threaded performance is important.

Haha, had exactly same ideas, to get maybe Surface from past generations or anything similar but after consideration decided to work at work. ;)

Its running 40 to 60 fps in Winterspring with an avg of 55, wonder how it will perform in an instance. But its job is mostly to kill time while i watch people sleep.

Edit:Dips to 37 in heavy snow )

Edited by Voice

14 hours ago, Voice said:

Its running 40 to 60 fps in Winterspring with an avg of 55, wonder how it will perform in an instance. But its job is mostly to kill time while i watch people sleep.

Edit:Dips to 37 in heavy snow )

If you turn around and face a wall or travel through a tunnel in wetlands you can even get 120 FPS.

It will crap out in group content though. LIke I said, it's okay for solo farming and for facing walls and going through tunnels.

On 24.02.2017 г. at 11:32 AM, Erjh8765 said:

Perhaps you didn't know, but Vanilla WoW only uses a single core and a single thread.

Even if you have an octacore CPU with great multi-threaded performance, WoW will use just one core still, so only single-threaded performance is important.

Wouldn't this http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask help? Just throwing it as a suggestion, I'm not really into hardware.

2 hours ago, Erjh8765 said:

This command doesn't exist in Vanilla WoW. It was added in / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008).

My bad, didn't see the notes at the bottom of the page.

Edited by cryofsorrow

On 2/27/2017 at 4:35 PM, fupse said:

You can pretty much run Vanilla on a potato. Just get the cheapest thing you can find.

This.

On 2/23/2017 at 6:34 AM, artan said:

if you plug a toaster to a screen  you can run molten core.

On 2/27/2017 at 3:35 AM, fupse said:

You can pretty much run Vanilla on a potato. Just get the cheapest thing you can find.

Go with the cheapest Intel chip you can find. AMD has always run a bit behind on WOW because they optimize it for the special Intel x86 commands.

... although now that I think of it, I think AMD paid to integrate all these that existed at the time of Vanilla into later AMD chips. So maybe never mind

I was actually thinking of doing this.  I have a laptop that the husband refurbed for me to use when we're away (for email or what not).  I'm totally putting wow on it.  It's window 8, but it only has a 500 gig drive.  Should be ok. 

Found out lap keyboards are for plebs, 17" is horrible small. But its running it pretty well, got to test it a bit more.

But it hink a solution is getting a nerd pad for keys and plugging it into a bigger work monitor.