Sign in to follow this  
Nonserviam

is mining worth it?

hey guys i am going to roll a new char as an alt. i am playing on darrowshire pve and i'll pick herbalism for the extra gold. i am also thinking that i can pick a second gathering skill and that it should be mining, but is it actually worth it or i'll end up vendoring most of the stuff i mine / losing my time ? in that case it'd be prolly be wiser to roll only with 1 prof? 

ty for info and for your time:)

You can't really combine mining and herbalism. Pick 1 and take skinning.

You will either vendor most of the stuff or have to find a crafter to craft the materials into something usefull

Not sure what you mean by needing to vendor mining mats.  Everything I've mined I sell on the ah except for large opals.  Leveling up mining I didn't vendor anything either.  I'm not an herbalist but I use up a lot of thelandras seeds and the only thing not worth putting on the ah is mageroyal and earthroot.

I can't see a reason not to go with mining and herbalism if gold making is your goal.  Unless taking skinning gains more gold than mining or herbalism.

In general it's a bad idea to pick both mining and herbalism. The issue is that you can only track one type of node at a time. Other than that limitation, there's nothing preventing you from handling both professions. 

I don't think mining is that great if it's just to make money.  It's good if you need the materials for blacksmithing or engineering, and there are materials that sell, but other professions may suit your needs better.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:25 PM, jcochran said:

In general it's a bad idea to pick both mining and herbalism. The issue is that you can only track one type of node at a time. Other than that limitation, there's nothing preventing you from handling both professions. 

There are addons that add node/herb locations to your map any time you farm them.

That's something to consider if you insist on using both professions (I agree, they're not an ideal combo).

12 minutes ago, CHIPTHECHIPMUNK said:

How on earth do you do that "easy and fast", mate?

As a fellow miner, do not answer that!

29 minutes ago, Hurricane2 said:

As a fellow miner, do not answer that!

I run the Winterspring routes as well as BS, but calling it "fast and easy" is a bit of a statement.

21 hours ago, Ragingducks said:

There are addons that add node/herb locations to your map any time you farm them.

That's something to consider if you insist on using both professions (I agree, they're not an ideal combo).

Yes, there are addons that track where you've found resource nodes in the past (Gatherer comes to mind). The issue however, is that those addons don't tell you that the historic resource node is currently available for harvesting. Merely that you did get something there sometime in the past. You're still limited to tracking one type of node at a time.

On ‎1‎-‎6‎-‎2017 at 10:36 PM, CHIPTHECHIPMUNK said:

I run the Winterspring routes as well as BS, but calling it "fast and easy" is a bit of a statement.

well you're running the wrong zones to make it fast and tbh i dont see the hard part as you can do it naked?

Can't you do both mining and herbing and just constantly switch back and forth between the two tracking options?  Not ideal, but I remember it working ok.  But agreed, probably not ideal.

On 6/25/2017 at 4:17 PM, Badmutafuka said:

Can't you do both mining and herbing and just constantly switch back and forth between the two tracking options?  Not ideal, but I remember it working ok.  But agreed, probably not ideal.

Yes, you can keep toggling between tracking types. You could also spend your spare time repeatedly beating your head against the wall because you happen to enjoy the thumping noise. Neither activity is what I would call ideal.

I used to do mining and herbing on one character in the real WoW game.  I simply made 2 macros and put them next to each other on my action bar to start each type of tracking.  It was a bit of a nuisance to constantly switch back and forth, but it works with 1 click.