Sign in to follow this  
riplip

Best way to level up a pet?

Short answer? Kill things.

I would recommend looking at your pet's XP before and after killing things of various levels. If your pet gets XP from you killing things around level 23, then you will have an easy grind, just simply go out and kill things around your pet's level. If it turns out your pet doesn't get XP, then see about killing mobs that are green to you. That will result in a harder time since your pet isn't gonna be able to really help you (level 23 pet vs level 50+ mob = dead pet). But all in all, you just have to simply go out there and kill things since mob XP is the only type of XP that your pet gets.

I will admit to being curious as to what you have that's level 23. The only significant thing that I know about that level is that there are some cats with an attack speed of 1.2 (starving mountain lion comes to mind). But if you have a cat, then Broken Tooth (level 37) would be a better bet for you since its speed is 1.0. And if you don't want to farm that rare spawn, there are cats with the 1.2 speed that are level 39 (Jaguars in the Swamp of Sorrows). 

Leveling Lupos is a pain.  Up until around 40 it goes pretty fast because you can blow up level 30-40 mobs without his help and he'll gain XP.  Once he hits 40 though you'll have a bit more of a problem since mobs at that level become more of an issue killing on your own.  It's not hard, it just takes longer.  My recommended spot is the ghosts just north of the Alliance FP in Azshara.  They're low 40's and have low health so you can roll them without any issue.  I leveled two different pets there from about 38-50.  At 50 you can start taking them in dungeons, just keep them on passive or hide them around a corner or something.  Just be careful will aggro since at 50 they'll pull stuff because of their low level.

^ Not currently possible on Elysium, which I assume the OP is since he's leveling Lupos.

Oh, hi. Sorry for the late reply.

My pet tutorial contains some tips on raising a pet's combat level quickly. Section 3.2.2 in Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux], and the combat training segment begins at 20:53. Or, follow this link:
https://youtu.be/rw5ArtwO4h8?t=1253

That's all the advice I can really think to give for leveling a pet. Good luck.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:43 PM, Raziya said:

Oh, hi. Sorry for the late reply.

My pet tutorial contains some tips on raising a pet's combat level quickly. Section 3.2.2 in Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux], and the combat training segment begins at 20:53. Or, follow this link:
https://youtu.be/rw5ArtwO4h8?t=1253

That's all the advice I can really think to give for leveling a pet. Good luck.

Say it like you mean it!

SLAYING THESE INSIGNIFICANT ENEMIES!

4 hours ago, Fibber said:

Say it like you mean it!

SLAYING THESE INSIGNIFICANT ENEMIES!

XD I'm not Rag Tagg! My sadism is more composed. >:)

3 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

With Lupos and BM spec though, wouldn't setting him on agressive and going afk work as well, in a mobbed area?

It could work, but you'd need to feed him, and a high-populated area might mean two or more mobs pull on Lupos... so unless he's got high loyalty and, uhh, I guess he should be specced into heavy armor or something too, that's proooobably not gonna work out...

On 7/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Oakenlix said:

With Lupos and BM spec though, wouldn't setting him on agressive and going afk work as well, in a mobbed area?

People get put in a box on GM island for doing that.

On 7/22/2017 at 0:14 PM, Oakenlix said:

Only works if the mobs are lower level than Lupos and you can guarantee he won't pull more than one at a time at any point.  If he pulls two mobs at once he's dead without help, which kills your speed if you don't find out until X minutes later.

18 minutes ago, Myllz said:

Only works if the mobs are lower level than Lupos and you can guarantee he won't pull more than one at a time at any point.  If he pulls two mobs at once he's dead without help, which kills your speed if you don't find out until X minutes later.

Yeah, but if you plan it carefully enough it should work, for example you can clear the area killing mobs one by one so that they respawn in equal amount of time after each other so that your pet has enough time to regenerate hp... Perhaps it's possible. :)

11 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

Yeah, but if you plan it carefully enough it should work, for example you can clear the area killing mobs one by one so that they respawn in equal amount of time after each other so that your pet has enough time to regenerate hp... Perhaps it's possible. :)

I've tried that, still doesn't typically work.  Your pet doesn't kill fast enough so it won't follow the order you cleared in, and if it's on aggressive it will run WAY out of the way to attack something.  

11 hours ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

What's that thing people keep accusing Hunters of being, again?

Accuse all you want, but leveling a pet in vanilla is a boring and lame experience which, if possible, should be minimized.

2 hours ago, Myllz said:

I've tried that, still doesn't typically work.  Your pet doesn't kill fast enough so it won't follow the order you cleared in, and if it's on aggressive it will run WAY out of the way to attack something.  

Well, that's sad, I would've thought Lupos with BM spec would be able to do that.

What, set Lupos on Aggressive and have him clear the entire zone for you?

I'm joking, of course, but that is the direction of the mentality being advocated for here.

15 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

leveling a pet in vanilla is a boring and lame experience which, if possible, should be minimized.

It's a grind to level up a Pet, plain and simple.  You have to feed them food while their loyalty increases, and that's a Time Logged In consideration, since the Happiness needs to accrue over time for it to take effect.  I got in the habit of staying logged in on my Hunter while parked at Inns and Cities simply in order to Let Time Pass while my Pet was Happy in order to accrue the necessary Loyalty level ups.

After that, it's just a matter of "feeding" them enough XP to get their actual Level to go up, and that's going to be a grind no matter what you do ... even if you're leveling up yourself right alongside your Pet.

There are no "easy" AFK solutions to doing all of that without Player Input.  Sure, you can AFK while letting Happiness accrue to raise Loyalty, but that isn't earning your Pet any XP.  The Blizz-like answer to all of this is that it's supposed to take WORK to do, rather than being something quick/cheap/easy.  Doesn't stop Players (those crafty little buggers) from doing all they can to find the Path Of Least Resistance so as to maximize Returns On Effort (by reducing the amount of Effort needed to near zero).

On 7/23/2017 at 11:29 PM, Oakenlix said:

Why? They shouldn't.

I had a guild mate who did some time on GM island for putting his pet on agressive and afk so he could grind faction rep.  It is considered automation.

Side-note: Pet on agressive mode is very rarely useful. The only time I have ever used it is when I know the exact spawn location of a mob (like a devilsaur) and want my pet to agro it before I can see it.  I suppose it could be used for guarding a flag in AB, but then you're not attacking at the ideal time of your choosing.  

Maybe killing low level mobs you could agressive pet and chase it around looting things, but that's just silly.