Morathe

Hunter rotation addon

Looking for testers for Shino addon https://github.com/Geigerkind/OneButtonHunter

Its supposed to use hunter rotation taking autoshot timer into consideration. For me it doesn't use aimed shot at all. All interested in this addon please provide feedback. Those purists that consider this addon threat to their "skill", please guys don't shitpost here. We pity you. 

20 hours ago, BlondKarma said:

Kind of this addons should not be allowed. 

I don't see why not.  It's a glorified macro that let's you spam a full rotation instead of a clipped rotation.  Kind of kills the spirit of the class, but will probably maximize dps for some people if the addon works correctly.

That being said, I likely won't use it.  If i wanted to spam "2" all day, i'd have rolled mage or warlock.

2 hours ago, Morathe said:

Have anyone of you actually tested it as asked in OP or it gonna turn into another "meaning of life" topic?

Why don't you test it yourself?... You're the only one interested in playing vanilla wow as if it was legion. 
Then again, I should expect a logical mindset from a person who would use things like this. :^)

edit:
I'm pretty sure you will only get similar responses as you did in your original thread ( forum.elysium-project.org/topic/34089-onebuttonhunter/ ) by posting on these forums.

Edited by Cruzix

Fyi i tested it and provided my outcome, posting it to gather larger pool for viable feedback for mod author (Shino). Also last thread was trash talked by one person (u) so that doesn't really bring any global aspect to the convo :) Now you come back here to continue zero value talk which is just retarded and make me feel you got some personal issues with the matter, hence i'll just ignore u from now on as its way outside of my ambition to repel your complexes driven attacks :) Have a beautiful life fella. 

Edited by Morathe

I have no intentions of testing the addon, but i looked at the lua file to see what was being accomplished.  Which weapon(s) are you testing it with?  If Aimed shot isn't firing, my guess would be because the addon is prioritizing auto shot so long as the "next auto shot" time is shorter than the cast time of aimed shot.  If you're using a weapon with a base speed equal to or faster than 3.0, I assume that could be your issue.

Every ranged weapon with quiver is faster than 3.0. I'm using 3.4 but with quiver its 2.96. 

Edited by Morathe

Well in the code, it's setup so that aimed shot cast time is hastened by the quiver speed, calculating the aimed shot cast time to be 2.60.  A bow with base speed of 2.9 would have a "cast time" of 2.52 and would therefore always be faster, whereas your xbow would not.  That is why I asked.

Is multi-shot firing as expected?  Or is it only aimed shot that's not firing?

I've been looking at the code myself (i have no idea about coding at all so its hit or miss really). I think its written in such a way that it won't work optimal way. Let me break it down to what I think is the case:

self.as = 3/((self.Quiver or 1)*(self.rf or 1)*(self.qs or 1))
            local time = GT();
            if (self.next-time)<self.as and GetActionCooldown(self.asSlot)==0 then
                  CastSpellByName(self.name[3])
                  return

As I understand it, it thinks that quiver is actually reducing aimed shot cast time? (it does not it only work for autoshots) then it checks if rapid fire or quickshots are up and multiply the bonus of speed?? those bonuses are not multiplicative, they are additive? 

I tried to fool this addon and reduce default aimed shot cast time to be slightly below my attack speed (2.96 in my case so i reduced it to 2.90 / 2.85 / 2.80 in various attempts). I was thinking that doing so will make it that aimed shot will start with just slight clipping but it doesn't make it so... it start casting aimed in the middle of autoshots etc and produce huge clipping. Then again I don't understand what self.next-time actually achieves to do. 

"self.next" is a time stamp that is calculated by the addon to approximate when the next auto shot should fire.  "time" is the current timestamp.  so self.next - time is trying to determine how much longer until the next auto shot fires.  If that length of time is shorter than Aimed shot's adjusted cast time, then aimed shot does not fire (basically it's waiting for auto shot to have a longer "next shot" time).

I can't say whether or not quiver speed reduces the cast time of aimed shot.  I was unaware the cast time even could be reduced before reading this thread, and haven't had the time to test it for myself.  However, assuming it does, the calculation for the haste effects is correct.  They should be applied multiplicative.  In your friend's code, rapid fire and quick shots is also contributing to a reduced cast time.

I asked about multi-shot, and I'm hoping you'll provide an answer.  I want to know because whether or not it's firing will narrow down which part of the code is not working.  If it's not working, I have a hunch that his event handler isn't working correctly and the only part of the code that's actually being used is the part that toggles autoshot on.  If multi-shot does work with the addon's script, then that narrows it down specifically to the aimed shot equations.  I think it's the former, because when I google the API, it looks like you're supposed to specify a specific event and he used the generic syntax without appropriate arguments.

OBH.f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event) 

I believe the "event" listed in that line is supposed to be a specific event keyword such as SPELL_UPDATE_COOLDOWN.  But again, I'm trying to piece stuff together from google and this may not be appropriate for Vanilla WOW.  The site I'm looking at has a lot of stuff from the xpacs, so the API may be different.

Something else that could be messing up the addon is that it doesn't seem to take into account factors that could mess up the auto shot timer.  Auto shot requires a "cast time" to actually fire when it's supposed to.  For instance, if you're running around, the auto shot cooldown reaches zero but won't fire until you stop moving.  HOWEVER, it doesn't fire instantly, it takes a moment for it to fire before you can start running again.  I estimate it to be around 0.5 sec, but haven't done anything concrete to determine the actual time.  So when I'm theorycrafting my rotations, I factor in a minimum of 0.5 sec if auto is getting pushed back by another shot/spell.  For instance, aimed shot always pushes back your next autoshot because the cast time is so long.  The autoshot CD finishes while aimed shot casts, but there's a short delay before autoshot is fired.  If it was instant, you'd have both shots fire on top of each other.

In addition, when haste effects are applied the current auto shot isn't suddenly sped up, the haste only applies when the next autoshot starts it's timer.  I can't recall if the addon takes this into account.

Also, what is the impact of latency on the timer?

Edited by Drakbak

Nah I don't think multishot work optimal either (it does not factor that it should not fire if next autoshot is <0.5s away). I think it fires as soon as cooldown is off. Atm addon author have his exams so he won't work on it but I doubt this addon was built with in-depth hunter knowledge about cycles and rotations. For all its good for atm is getting previous version and having all 3 skills under 1 button while timing proper time to use it urself (macro still prioritize aimed over mutlishot for when cycle makes both cooldowns end at same time so its convenient)

You don't have to know anything about cycles and rotations to get this done. Just for the sake of an example, lets say that your auto shot have a 0.5s windup time and a 2.5s cooldown (3s total). After the initial 0.5s you have to cast a multi-shot within the 0.5s to 2.5s interval (since it also have the same windup time as auto shot).

For aimed shot its pretty much the same thing, however, you must have some caution setting the upper bound of the interval, if this interval is too short, you may never achieve a clipped cycle, which may be better depending on your current attack speed, if you set it too high, you will always use aimed as soon as it goes off cooldown. I did some math a while ago and I ended up using a 0.5s interval and it did pretty well for both rhok'delar and ashjre'thul, even with the usual haste buffs.

You don't have to know anything about cycles and rotations to get this done. Just for the sake of an example, lets say that your auto shot have a 0.5s windup time and a 2.5s cooldown (3s total). After the initial 0.5s you have to cast a multi-shot within the 0.5s to 2.5s interval (since it also have the same windup time as auto shot).

For aimed shot its pretty much the same thing, however, you must have some caution setting the upper bound of the interval, if this interval is too short, you may never achieve a clipped cycle, which may be better depending on your current attack speed, if you set it too high, you will always use aimed as soon as it goes off cooldown. I did some math a while ago and I ended up using a 0.5s interval and it did pretty well for both rhok'delar and ashjre'thul, even with the usual haste buffs.

I don't have enough familiarity with the wow API to grasp all the inner workings of this addon, I fiddled with the rais auto shot addon in the past, and comparing the two of them, at a first glance this addon seems way too simplistic because it only relies on the events START_AUTOREPEAT_SPELL and STOP_AUTOREPEAT_SPELL to calculate the auto shot swing timer.

I never used this addon myself but I guess it only calculates the swing timer when you first activate auto shot, if you move around or get stunned during the windup time I bet the addon will start behaving erratically.

Edited by Zarant
typo

2 hours ago, Fridolin said:

Hm...do we need a addon like this to optimize our dps outcome? 

Most players don't optimize their dps outcome to begin with and addons like this always have flaws that result in a smaller damage output than possible.

Min/maxing is the point - personally i prefer manual rotation for a regular raids cuz its engaging but I myself never done AQ nor Naxx for example, and when we go there i'll need to focus on tactics and executing proper strategy which WILL gimp my rotation atleast first one or two raids where I learn stuff. Having addon like this (again... only if it worked optimally) can make you shift your attention to other stuff and not punishing your raid with lower dps for prog raids. 

Then again there are multiple reasons to use it... convenience, saving bar slots just to name few. I guess if you need to ask then its just not your thing :) 

Will this addon be further optimized towards the future?
Very interested in using this as I enjoy an easy, lazy and laid-back approach to gaming :)

Holy Necro Batman! is theres another place to put this info? Testing The app. First of all (lucky for us players who have put the work in) it is NOT Optimised,, id estimate if it work correctly, it seems to do about 70- 80% dps as a well done rotation. Tested with several weapons and Quivers. 

1. Only works properly on level 60.

2. MUST have a slow weapon for auto shot to fire (tested with Bloodseeker, Rhoc Delear, Stoneshatter, Griffonwing longbow, and a few random ones

3. Put Aimed Shot in slot 2 of action Bar, Multi in slot 2. (if aimed doesnt work ever reverse it, shouldnt matter but aimed didnt work til i did that)

4. Seems to work best on elite/ high xp targets

5. Starts rotation with either aimed or multi (not autoshot)

Today im going to test it properly,, with a Priest friend that can keep healing themselves. Going to compare this app,, spamming multi/aimed (hitting them off cooldown ignoring white damage, and preforming a TryHard rotation.

Things this app needs Imo. 

A way to adjust for weapon speed/latency? instructions on whay values to change to get it working.

A setting to initiate with Autoshot, Aimed shot, or multishot,,,currently it usually opens with an aimed shot,,im guessing thats for pvp? most of us raid hunters like to open with autoshot first,,followed by either aimed or multi depending on the situation.

this is a brief test just on farming,,, will test more  if there is still interest.