CherriCake

Gender Roles/Stereotyping in WoW (help me out for my essay!!!)

Hey everyone!

My name is Cherise and I am doing an essay for my intercultural communication course on sexism in computer games and, more specifically, gender roles in World of Warcraft.

I am trying to gather more information and opinions on this topic so I hope you can help me out :)

So: I have often noticed that men in-game often think that they can recognize women in-game by their behavior and way of talking, or their class choice. For example, women are said to play more supportive roles/healing characters while men play aggressive roles. If a man wants to play a healing character, they often decide to create a female character instead of a male, because they think it "suits" better. Many think women tend to be more social, happy, bubbly, using more smileys in their speech, etc. Thus, I have noticed that when  men create a female character, some of them also try to behave and act more like this, in comparison to how they would act on their male characters. 

So, I am very interested in your opinions about this. Do you agree with this? Do you have any other ideas or perspectives on this?

* If you would create a healing character, would you rather pick a female instead of a male and why?

* Does your behavior or way of talking change when you play a female character? Even if this is just a slight change.

* Do you have a certain view on how women in-game behave differently compared to men? How?

* When interacting with a female in game, does your behavior towards that player change in comparison to playing with another male player?

I hope you guys can give me some of your ideas :) thanks!

* If you would create a healing character, would you rather pick a female instead of a male and why?

Yes, probably more of my characters are female than not, even tanks. I enjoy the aesthetics. My only recent male character is a tauren druid because why would I ever play a female tauren.

* Does your behavior or way of talking change when you play a female character? Even if this is just a slight change.

Shitlord 24/7, nothing can change that. I connect with my characters on a "3rd person" basis rather than "1st person".

* Do you have a certain view on how women in-game behave differently compared to men? How?

Yes, they usually suck at videogames and cause toxic environment because male raiders act like complete dumbfucks with a female in the team.

* When interacting with a female in game, does your behavior towards that player change in comparison to playing with another male player?

I try to treat everyone equally but I have to admit I probably wouldn't accept a female raider application if it were solely up to my discretion because of the issues it brings up.

I once hear a man say the following about rolling a female character even though in real life the person was male.

"If I have to look at the ass end of a 'toon for 60+ levels, it's gonna be an attractive ass."

And I suspect that sums up most of the female 'toons being played by RL males.

I've played characters with all combinations of race and gender. And then personally analyzed my preferences when not deliberately going for all combinations.

1. Night Elf - Tend to prefer female characters. But will play some males. However, will NEVER play a male night elf hunter. Reason is quite simple. I absolutely hate the death emote of male night elves. And hunters do feign death quite often.

2. Human - Once again , tend to prefer female characters. No real class distinction.

3. Dwarf - Tend to go 50/50 on female vs male. No real class distinctions.

4. Gnome - Tend to go 50/50.

5. Tauren - Mostly female. I like the voice better than the male.

6. Troll - 50/50, no class distinctions.

7. Orc - Mostly male regardless of class.

8 . Undead - 50/50 mix of male and female. 

It can depend on the race but for the most part it's quite simple.  Would I rather stare at a man while i play or a female?  Female of course and doesn't matter what class I'm playing and doesn't change how I play.

As for how females play yes there is a noticeable difference in class choice and how they play that class.  They are more passive and are prone to take criticism personally.  There are exceptions to these observations but I see this in video games as well as in poker.  I've played millions of hands online and I can guess some ones age and gender very accurately after playing just a few minutes.

I don't act differently when playing with females but they are a novelty in gaming (smart phone games don't count) in that the vast majority of gamers are males.

I would pick a female healer because male healers look g*y'n'shite in healing dresses + all women should be healers.

Nope. If someone flirts with me on voice chat, I just burp.

Most of average women play male or female characters and do not behave themselves like attention w''''res.

It doesn't matter. If you suck - you suck.

Ok, this is a roleplaying game, imagine I'm a mighty mage, I spent my early days at the stormwind library perfecting the arcane arts... and squatting books. Yeah doesn't make any sense. The game doesn't provide many customization options, pretty much all male models except the troll/gnome one tend to resemble a warrior archetype. I usually pick the race/gender of my character just because I like the model and animations. I played a female dwarf priest for a long time just because I like the twirling pigtail animation, nothing to do with gender roles or whatever. And any smart person who played mmo games for a long time assumes that everyone is a man, unless proved otherwise.

I'm a woman who has been playing this game for over 10 years now, and I've been everything from casual to semi-hardcore raider ( iow competing on server firsts, but not regional/world top spots). I'm not sure if you're looking just for men's views, but I can tell you my experiences on the subject. One of the big things is that I am Finnish, and Finland happens to be one of the most equal countries out there. My serious raiding was nearly all with Finnish guilds, and there were rarely issues with gender. Actually, one of my Finnish raid teams was 50+% female, and we cleared all content on that expansion. I've also played in guilds where I am the only woman (at least an active one). Issues with gender have usually come up with less serious international guilds or with younger individual players. I have never hidden my gender in game, because I believe I have the same right to be myself as any guy. That said, I also don't flaunt the fact, and since I don't usually act like a stereotypical gamer girl (no bubbliness, being cutesy, over-using smileys, playing healers only or any such nonsense), people often don't realize I am a woman unless we're on vc or they directly ask me. I play the class or role I want or that is needed by the team, be it dps, tank or healer. 

Most of my characters are female, because the male avatars feel too bulky. I do have male characters of less bulky races, like trolls or UDs. Also a large factor are the animations; nelf males look terrible casting. The role of the character doesn't matter.

Not really a question aimed at me, but I do have a slight change in my behavior depending on the character; I'm more serious and less social on my raid characters than I am on alts that I level for professions slots or just derp around with.

I have met a lot of stereotypical views on women in-game, and usually tell the holders of these beliefs to fuck off. I've noticed a common attitude that if a guy screws up or is obnoxious, it's because he is bad or an ass. If a woman screws up or is obnoxious, it's because women can't play and are attention whores. However, the more women people have played with, the less stereotypical their views seem to be. 

Everyone thinks their attitude doesn't change, yet nearly everyone changes their attitude once they find out I'm a woman. In time, when they get to know me as a person instead of a woman, this change usually fades away. The change is usually not big (no, most guys don't go crazy when they hear a woman on Vent), they just tend to be a little bit more polite and cut out the harshest humor - or start showing off their worst as to test me. Usually this ends up with them being shocked by my jokes.

I also admit I'm always a bit nervous when meeting new female guildies. How these women act has usually shaped the guild's view on female gamers, and is often a deciding factor if I'll have easy or hard time fitting in. Personally I tend to judge women more harshly in game than men, since their abilities and behavior also reflect on peoples attitudes towards other female players, including me. I can't tell how many times people have come to me with stories of utterly awful female players, and the either proceeded to tell me how all other females must be the same, or how I managed to break that expectation.

I'm female, a bit older than the average age and married. here's my perspective

So: I have often noticed that men in-game often think that they can recognize women in-game by their behavior and way of talking, or their class choice. For example, women are said to play more supportive roles/healing characters while men play aggressive roles.

I think I'm pretty feminine and on another vanilla server i leveled a mage to 60 in a guild and did all the leveling dungeons with them and they didn't find out i was female until i finally spoke on vent at lvl 60. So no they can't tell, i kind of tried to hide it but not really.  Once they find out their perception totally changes.

I just always make females because they look much nicer. It's not really possible in wow but i try to make them look like me, so i choose human female when possible.

I don't see any difference in behavior but I think the class/spec has an effect more than the sex.

Given i don't hear them talk or spot a voice changer, I can probably pick out a woman after enough interaction, i can pick out a guy pretending to be a girl more easily. All the women i have played wow with have been different and none really a stereotype, I've played wow for 10 years, never seen a guild destroyed by a woman but seen plenty of guilds destroyed by men. Really i think guilds just get destroyed by circumstances and people with different opinions, happens with both male and females.

People's attitudes change when they find out you are female, I feel that their expectations are immediately lowered and anything you do that was ok, is amazing. So yes there is sexism but there are also benefits, I'm more sensitive and i think people have been more careful with what they say to me, so feel like the good and the bad usually even out.  I think both women and men are able to accept stereotypical male behaviour because there are more guys playing and this is the culture. I believe i should be able to be a female steroetype or drama queen attention whore if i feel like it too. Everyone should get to relax and have some fun and be themselves, i find that being female means it's sometimes hard for me to do this. But i try :)

If you would create a healing character, would you rather pick a female instead of a male and why?

Because healing gear is feminine, and male characters look like shit in it. Also because I wish I were a girl. No, but seriously, staring at a dwarf female is more soothing than staring at a male dwarf, and they both look like shit as well (even though I am gradually starting to love the looks of my dwarf female).

Of course. Simple biology makes men talk different to girls and vice versa. Whether post-modernism wants to make it an issue about sexism or not, it is just as natural as it gets. Eg. men do stupid shit to impress women, because we have historically always been the "jester".

Not really. There are bad male and females players. I do, however, believe men get punished far more (by men) than women if they were to fuck up.

I want to say no, but yes. It's a different communication between sexes.

Hi. I wish my answers will help you in any way. I'm female, 28 years old (yes, user profile photo is actually mine), playing WoW for several years, was an active Raid and PvP player on official until I quit it and started looking for Classic realms. Never hiding my gender in-game when chatting with another players, had no unpleasant gender issues so far - yes, almost all of the people who played with me together was thinking that I'm male, until they heard me over the voice comm or I told them in chat that I'm female, but... I'm pretty silent and a bit unsocial "solo player", rarely speaking about something more than actual game situation in dungeon/raid/group quest run or lfg/lfm/trading in global channels. Maybe it's just a language barrier, since English isn't my first and sometimes I have problems with it (texting is ok, voice communication is far more difficult for me, using voice comm only with players who know my native language).

Female. All of my characters are female. By the way, Warrior is my favourite class (80-90% of overall playing time). Killing is close and personal process. :p

It's a question for male players, I guess. I never change my behavior or way of talking when I play different race-class-etc.

Well, I've seen and played with many different player "types", from new and casual players to highly dedicated raiders, and I must say... When a player is in action, concentrated, doing something, gender differences are hard to find. They are more visible when it's nothing to do - male players more tend to jumping around, casting useless spells, killing lvl-1 critters etc. Female players (including me) are often more interested with reading quest notes, books and other game lore immersion things.

Gender doesn't matter. You have to know what to do and what not to do, especially when it comes to dungeons and other teamwork. But... I feel a bit more happier when I see a girl playing well instead of asking for attention. :p

Of course I've met people who lower their expectations of person's playing performance for kinda sexist reasons ("women can't play good, blah blah"), and developed my approach: "it's a competitive game, so show people how you play it first, details can wait". Maybe it comes from my behavior IRL, some people tend to think that I'm "more agressive and straightforward than average woman". Anyway, World of Warcraft is still a good example of a game, that can be interesting for players of any sex and almost any age.

>If you would create a healing character, would you rather pick a female instead of a male and why?

i pick female on all characters, because the male characters look like shit.

>Does your behavior or way of talking change when you play a female character? Even if this is just a slight change.

doesnt matter at all

>Do you have a certain view on how women in-game behave differently compared to men? How?

played a few years in top20 world guilds and i assure you: 90% of the female players play bad and are just in because of tits (the other 10% are very good gamers).

many women in videogames are attentionseekers, i guess mainly because they dont get "enough" attention IRL.

>When interacting with a female in game, does your behavior towards that player change in comparison to playing with another male player?

can happen, if im bored. normally no.

17 hours ago, nova.raveheart said:

When a player is in action, concentrated, doing something, gender differences are hard to find. They are more visible when it's nothing to do - male players more tend to jumping around, casting useless spells, killing lvl-1 critters etc. 

This is hilarious! I so identify with this. 

Aaaand okay, as you can see here, women, in most cases, like words. More words. Using full words. Using more and more words.

Here's a tip. If you want to look more feminine, get ready for extensive typing. Double-check your text to make sure it's flawless and send a hell ton of words! Sending one or two words in chat? Phah! Never! Sending three lines of text - that's the way! Answering to someone on forum? Write a full screen of text, doublecheck, send, ponder about it a bit, click "Correct", write a bit more and send again!

And otherwise, if you wish to look masculine, cut it short, use abbreviations everywhere and don't bother about anything.

2 hours ago, nova.raveheart said:

Aaaand okay, as you can see here, women, in most cases, like words. More words. Using full words. Using more and more words.

Here's a tip. If you want to look more feminine, get ready for extensive typing. Double-check your text to make sure it's flawless and send a hell ton of words! Sending one or two words in chat? Phah! Never! Sending three lines of text - that's the way! Answering to someone on forum? Write a full screen of text, doublecheck, send, ponder about it a bit, click "Correct", write a bit more and send again!

you forgot to mention the usage of a shit ton of smiles. preferably finish the end of every sentence with ^^ or :).

9 минут назад, flowqz сказал:

you forgot to mention the usage of a shit ton of smiles. preferably finish the end of every sentence with ^^ or :).

Too good that there's no graphic and animated smileys in WoW.

Just now, nova.raveheart said:

Too good that there's no graphic and animated smileys in WoW.

guess you are missing the 3 ape "smiles"

2 hours ago, flowqz said:

Those aren't women, those are Germans.

intercultural communication course on sexism in computer games

Kek

Depends on my mood.

I act flirty and make lots of winky faces so people give me free shit and go out of their way to help me. Guys are such simple creatures.

They're usually (not always) below average players who can't pull their own weight, and serve as token females. However, hearing a female voice in discord is a boost to morale and keeps the guys on their best behaviour. Also they don't seem to like PVP very much.

I usually do a /flex to assert my dominance, and then follower her around helping her kill mobs because I'm a nice guy like that. I give them things I don't really need like potions and scrolls, and In groups, whenever a girl fucks up I'll usually take the blame in hopes that she might become my girlfriend.

1 hour ago, QQsya said:

Those aren't women, those are Germans.

i am german and i can tell you its mostly women using them. also some insecure dudes.