Sign in to follow this  
Pleasant

Naxxramas Public Test Announcement

63 posts in this topic

naxx-ptr.thumb.jpg.fac046b4a24f7e0e06d85685df9eea0c.jpg

Greetings! My name is Pleasant and I’m part of the open-source raid development team. Our team has been working hard to prepare for the release of the most exclusive World of Warcraft raid that has ever been released, Naxxramas. Less than 1% of the active player base during the end of vanilla killed Kel’Thuzad. For many players, including myself, the dream of finally seeing and clearing Naxx40 has been a long time coming. That dream is taking one giant step forward to reality.

The Naxxramas Public Test will officially begin on JULY 12th, 2017.

Naxxramas is a large instance featuring 15 bosses with a significant amount of trash. The most incredible thing about the instance is the diversity of boss encounters that reward highly coordinated and prepared players. In order to make sure the instance is as close to a retail-like experience as possible, we need a lot of focused and intelligent feedback. To accomplish this, we have developed a strategy to maximize player feedback and maintain the integrity of the raid.

The PTR will feature a transferred database from Anathema and every guild is invited to join the PTR to test. There will be an automated limitation on the amount of time a guild will be able to spend on each boss. The testing will focus on one wing at a time, beginning with the Spider Wing. We will provide a vendor for consumables and may, at various times, include other vendors to test set bonuses and quests.

We expect every guild participating in the PTR to record their raid in some form and provide detailed and cited reports on their experiences and any issues they may encounter. As the PTR progresses, we may limit the ability for some guilds to test further if we have found no evidence of their participation in the testing feedback. We currently plan to limit the testing of the most difficult encounters to a small handful of guilds who have provided the highest quality feedback.

Each test session will be short in order to allow our team to fix and iterate on the encounters quickly and speed up our feedback loop. We will also rotate the days of the week each session will be open to allow the maximum number of guilds the opportunity to provide feedback. The first PTR schedule will be as follows:

Spider Wing Test Schedule

OPEN — July 12th, 13th (Wed & Thurs)

CLOSED — July 14th, 15th (Fri & Sat)

OPEN — July 16th, 17th (Sun & Mon)

When Naxxramas is released, it will be released in full with all bosses available. We currently have no plans to significantly buff specific encounters to artificially inflate its difficulty because we believe the retail-like difficulty of the instance will bring the intended challenge. Thanks in advance to all the guilds who will volunteer their time to help the Elysium Project deliver the best Naxxramas experience possible.

NAXXRAMAS HYPEEEEEE.

DREAD CITADEL YOU WILL BE AOED BY THE SCRUBA CUCKS. NOWHERE IS SAFE FROM OUR SAPPERS!

We currently have no plans to significantly buff specific encounters to artificially inflate its difficulty because we believe the retail-like difficulty of the instance will bring the intended challenge.

I think you definitely need to reduce damage done or increase HP of the bosses by quite a bit otherwise you will have guilds killing Loatheb before any kind of consumable is needed, Gluth killed before decimate, Anub'Rekan killed before swarm, etc. :)

Oh no, full bis aq40 guilds will kill bosses that have been dissected for 10+ years on how to do the encounter? World first Cthun killers Nihilum had only 9 Cthun kills before Naxx released. My guild will have that many C'thun kills in 2 weeks and we weren't even in the first 5 guilds to clear AQ40. Conservatively we will have DOUBLE the C'thun loot that Nihilum had before naxx gets fully released.

Blows my mind how people get upset that you can progress through 10year old content quickly.

Nah, I don't mind the progressing quickly, I just don't want most mechanics to be easily side-stepped! :) Surely you see the point of actually having to deal with for example Impending Doom on Loatheb?

58 minutes ago, myaka said:

Nah, I don't mind the progressing quickly, I just don't want most mechanics to be easily side-stepped! :) Surely you see the point of actually having to deal with for example Impending Doom on Loatheb?

This will only be the case for the most top end guilds.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be raiding with a world first caliber guild. The vast majority of the players doing Naxx won't clear more than 6-7 bosses.

People seem to forget there are casual guilds that exist on these servers too.

Will the likes of Scuba, Dreamstate, Coalition, etc probably wreck a lot of the bosses in Naxx? Yeah.

Will the rest of the server have an easy time on Blizzlike Naxx bosses? No not at all.

Don't tune the server for super good players, tune it to the average player and let the super good players do what they do best, be super good and kill bosses before everyone else.

WoW servers are an eco-system of Elite Tier down to Casual Tier guilds, everyone has a place. Blizzlike is blizzlike for a reason.

5 hours ago, Forest_ said:

Not everyone is lucky enough to be raiding with a world first caliber guild. The vast majority of the players doing Naxx won't clear more than 6-7 bosses.

If you think there are any world first caliber guilds on these servers you are just plain wrong. If they don't buff bosses so that people actually have to do the bosses, then what is the actual point of them? They'll just be loot pinatas. If you want that, go play retail.

Will character creation on the PTR be enabled? Or is this solely for pre-existing characters on Anathema?

Gear problems aside I'd love to bring my Elysium char in there

your char will be copy paste into the server as i understand and then you can buy consumes from the vendors

21 hours ago, Forest_ said:

This will only be the case for the most top end guilds.

People seem to forget there are casual guilds that exist on these servers too.

Will the likes of Scuba, Dreamstate, Coalition, etc probably wreck a lot of the bosses in Naxx? Yeah.

Will the rest of the server have an easy time on Blizzlike Naxx bosses? No not at all.

Don't tune the server for super good players, tune it to the average player and let the super good players do what they do best, be super good and kill bosses before everyone else.

WoW servers are an eco-system of Elite Tier down to Casual Tier guilds, everyone has a place. Blizzlike is blizzlike for a reason.

"Don't tune the server for super good players, tune it to the average player and let the super good players do what they do best, be super good and kill bosses before everyone else."

Exactly this.

16 hours ago, pre said:

Will character creation on the PTR be enabled? Or is this solely for pre-existing characters on Anathema?

Gear problems aside I'd love to bring my Elysium char in there

This is from the main post. The answer is Anathema only.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:35 AM, Pleasant said:

The PTR will feature a transferred database from Anathema and every guild is invited to join the PTR to test. 

Elysium players would get absolutely smashed by Naxx bosses with their gear. Wouldn't meet DPS checks, would get annihilated by tank and heal checks like Patchwerk. This would serve no functional purpose unfortunately.

I would pay to see Elysium ppl try to Naxx in MC gear :)

4 часа назад, Forest_ сказал:

This is from the main post. The answer is Anathema only.

Elysium players would get absolutely smashed by Naxx bosses with their gear. Wouldn't meet DPS checks, would get annihilated by tank and heal checks like Patchwerk. This would serve no functional purpose unfortunately.

well, T1 tanks can tank patchwerk if fully buffed. Thats really not problem. Also, pre-raid/T1 mix gear is enough to do more than 9k raid DPS= enough to kill it before enrage. Most naxx bosses isn't gear check.

On 2017-06-28 at 6:18 PM, myaka said:

I think you definitely need to reduce damage done or increase HP of the bosses by quite a bit otherwise you will have guilds killing Loatheb before any kind of consumable is needed, Gluth killed before decimate, Anub'Rekan killed before swarm, etc. :)

The goal of this server is emulation of vanilla. Not to be a "custom-fun"-server. Besides, part of the fun doing vanilla this time around is over-doing encounters in ways not possible before.

6 hours ago, Storfan said:

The goal of this server is emulation of vanilla. Not to be a "custom-fun"-server. Besides, part of the fun doing vanilla this time around is over-doing encounters in ways not possible before.

Then why even script the encounters? By the end of retail vanilla my guild steamrolled all the content in Naxx pretty much, wasn't much fun. It's much more fun when you actually have to... you know... do the encounters properly. They struck a good balance in AQ (it might be a bit on the easy side, though, IMO. Especially Ouro, since he isn't even working) and they should definitely do the same with Naxxramas. I think that one has to take into account a lot of things when deciding on these matters, such as people knowing tactics, computers not being shitty, internet connections not being shitty, etc. It's not impossible that the latter two account for 20-30% more DPS compared to vanilla for a lot of guilds.

20 minutes ago, myaka said:

Then why even script the encounters? By the end of retail vanilla my guild steamrolled all the content in Naxx pretty much, wasn't much fun. It's much more fun when you actually have to... you know... do the encounters properly. They struck a good balance in AQ (it might be a bit on the easy side, though, IMO. Especially Ouro, since he isn't even working) and they should definitely do the same with Naxxramas. I think that one has to take into account a lot of things when deciding on these matters, such as people knowing tactics, computers not being shitty, internet connections not being shitty, etc. It's not impossible that the latter two account for 20-30% more DPS compared to vanilla for a lot of guilds.

Ouro and Cthun got WAY more armor than they are suppose to have though.

4 hours ago, Storfan said:

I don't know what your point is? I already said I think they did a good job with tuning AQ. Ouro is too easy not because of his armor values but because he isn't working as intended.

Edit: Also, as someone pointed out to me just now. 1.12 talents on 1.9/1.11 content.

Ouro was the last boss killed for a lot of guilds in AQ40 because he is hard as fuck if you don't cheese your composition. His armor is literally DOUBLE what it was in retail, and you say he is too easy? The reason guilds have an ok time killing em is because they stacked a shit ton of ranged magic dps.

35 minutes ago, Haestingas said:

Ouro was the last boss killed for a lot of guilds in AQ40 because he is hard as fuck if you don't cheese your composition. His armor is literally DOUBLE what it was in retail, and you say he is too easy? The reason guilds have an ok time killing em is because they stacked a shit ton of ranged magic dps.

1.12 talents are partly compensating for the increased armor values. Do you know why Ouro was hard back in retail vanilla? It was because his sand blast actually hit the target that had the most threat - he doesn't on Anathema. This would mean that he will turn and sand blast casters every other sand blast or so depending on resists etc. You realize how hard the fight suddenly becomes, right? Especially during the enrage phase.

People think private server players are some god like while they're really not. I'm pretty sure there is not a single world first caliber guild on this server. There are so many factors that make it a lot easier than on retail vanilla. I'll list a few (in no particular order):

• Talents - 1.12 talents boosted DPS by a lot.
  • Lag - people were playing on shitty DSL connections and frequently getting lag spikes causing either deaths because healers were lagging or because tanks were lagging. Average lag was way higher than it currently is as well causing DPS to be lower.
  • Crappy computers - people were playing on crappy computers with low FPS and using shitty monitors. This resulted in people dying to random stuff because of random FPS drops. Also, less DPS because frame drops.
  • Addons - the addons used today would most likely cause huge FPS drops so the addons were worse. Good luck using Luna Unit Frames back then without your computer melting.

It would be insane not to compensate for these things, in my opinion. I'm not asking for huge buffs to HP etc, i'm just asking for slight HP and/or armor/resistance buffs so it actually makes it more in line with what the challenge was back then.

6 hours ago, Storfan said:

This should be done for ALL bosses....Like said why even script bosses??? Looking at some bosses where certain event happen during timed events. If everyone is able to kill the boss b4 the time comes then why script it.... If the goal is to emulate vanilla, then things should be done to compensate for the current skill cap so you can emulate and have the same feel (since its emulation) of what the fight felt like during vanilla.  Not buffing the bosses is a dumb choice, AQ 40 bosses had more armor/hp and felt amazing and was fun. Let down for this naxx announcement, wrong choice not sure who made it.

As I said in the post, it's our intention not significantly overtune bosses. If, however, the testing reveals that some bosses are able to be cheesed past their intended fight mechanics, we may look at some standard or creative ways of ensuring fights feel as close to retail-like as possible. 

The reason why we don't intend to do any tuning is because we believe the retail-like values should provide the appropriate challenge for the vast majority of players who will step into Naxxramas and we would like to provide the Elysium Project with the real Naxxramas 40 man raid, not our personalized version of it.

One thing you might wanna take into account while tuning is that an armour buff has convoluted implications on itemisation and playstyles.

Currently, Bonereaver's Edge is able to shave off 2.1k armour from C'thun and Ouro, simply because the sum of all the other debuffs you can apply is nowhere near 8.2k. This makes it a very strong contender, if not the best choice, for dps warriors on those fights. It certainly seems weird for an item to remain so strong so long after its expiration date.

Increasing hit points instead would create a difficulty buffer that doesn't encourage gimmicky workarounds. Fights will last longer as intended while arriors will be inclined to use current-tier weapons.