Sign in to follow this  
Reptar

Questions about AFKing

I use an addon called Auctioneer and it takes a very long time to scan the AH.  I noticed that when I afk while scanning that I get logged out pretty fast.  I was wondering how long does it take to go afk and get logged out?  Is there a legitimate way of keeping my character from AFKing like a macro or script that would not get me in trouble?  This is not for BGs, I hate afkers in BGs.  This is strictly for scanning the AH.

I have no idea what you can do. I got lucky, I have kids so when I scan I tell one of them to keep hitting space while they watch TV.

You can simply tab into the game every few minutes and move a few steps to the left or right.

No need to use any anti-afk tool, that will get you permanently banned anyways.

You should use AUX and only scan the items you're interested in, not the entirety of the Auction House.

2 hours ago, Pottu said:

You should use AUX and only scan the items you're interested in, not the entirety of the Auction House.

Why not?

I scan the whole AH sometimes so that when I see some unfamiliar item I can know how much it's worth, to an extent. Seems quite useful.

44 minutes ago, Oakenlix said:

Why not?

I scan the whole AH sometimes so that when I see some unfamiliar item I can know how much it's worth, to an extent. Seems quite useful.

Causes unneeded load on the server

30 minutes ago, arbet said:

auctioneer is not very useful if you don't scan the entire AH... what an odd comment to make.

I seriously doubt you even use a tenth of thedata that got scanned. Or were you really interested on TODAYS price of silver bars?

26 minutes ago, Justme said:

I seriously doubt you even use a tenth of thedata that got scanned. Or were you really interested on TODAYS price of silver bars?

You probably only directly use a very small percentage, but if you're playing the AH properly you need to have comprehensive scanning and do it every day to get the best results and make the most money.

Back on Nostalrius I got the same problem, and found out that I was not getting disconnected due to being AFK, but because Auctioneer was using too much memory. I got it fixed by increasing the memory cap allocated to addons (top right corner of your addon list, for example I'm using 256 MB). 

2 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

What @Dekoos said. Give your addons way more memory and it shouldn't. I haven't been DCed during full scans which I'm afk for. 

Do you use Aux? Because if I scan 400+ pages of AH while afk, it will take more than half an hour anyway.

On 10/1/2017 at 6:39 AM, Dekoos said:

Back on Nostalrius I got the same problem, and found out that I was not getting disconnected due to being AFK, but because Auctioneer was using too much memory. I got it fixed by increasing the memory cap allocated to addons (top right corner of your addon list, for example I'm using 256 MB). 

Set it to "0" and it'll remove the cap entirely. Most PCs nowadays can easily handle that.

Except there will be a tiny freeze up when the vanilla client runs out of RAM and asks Windows to allocate more to it. It's better to use a fairly large number like 512 because you will never need that amount of RAM but can easily spare it nowadays. And you'll avoid that little hiccup.