Sign in to follow this  
MajesticMouse

Holy Paladins in Leveling, Groups and Vanilla

Hi all,

Played a holy paladin in TBC, in PvP and PvE, as a Shockadin and loved it.

I have never played a pally in Vanilla and I am interested in rolling one here. I would like to know if is it not (painfully) slow leveling as holy in 1.12.1? Would a ret spec be the way to go? I like grouping for instances very much and would I be right to say that a healer is in high demand for dungeons? I have heard tanks are strongly needed.

In comparison to healing in TBC, is Vanilla much different, more difficult?  At 60, in PvP, are Shockadins a thing? In TBC (2.4.2), they could do an impressive amount of burst damage and could heal nicely.

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated 

Prot or Ret are significantly better for levelling. Reckoning or straight Ret. The general advice seems to be that Ret is better but prot might keep you interested if you find seal--->auto attack boring.

28 minutes ago, Xaph said:

Prot or Ret are significantly better for levelling. Reckoning or straight Ret. The general advice seems to be that Ret is better but prot might keep you interested if you find seal--->auto attack boring.

Thank you.

I would play Ret but I hear ret paladins are considered inferior as a DPS in a dungeons. Would it be easy finding a group as a healer/holy paladin?

I never played Prot and when tanking in a group, I think it require the most skill and attention out of all members of a group. 

Ret is the fastest leveling. Ret is also very good dps in lower level dungeons, you don't start to fall behind until level 50 and up. 

Also you can heal any dungeon easily as ret so long as you keep a set of gear that has a high amount of intellect. 

I personally leveled ret until about level 40, then switched to prot for the last 20 levels. Prot was the most enjoyable (and you can tank or heal any dungeon leveling as prot if you have a separate set of gear). 

4 hours ago, MajesticMouse said:

Thank you.

I would play Ret but I hear ret paladins are considered inferior as a DPS in a dungeons.

Not true, you hear only trolls confusing everyone with raid and dungeon comparison as it is false statement , pick some good weapon , Int/Agi mixed Gear (both stats in 1 like deadmine finger) or in 1 word = hunter gear.

Use Blessing of Wisdom , SoC/JoC (depend on the weapon) or SoR/JoR , use Judges max rank on cd and crush these bones.

Don't bother with consecration and you will do crazy big dps.

/Kind regards Killerduki

So i just finished leveling as Holy the entire way 1-60.  I managed to clock in at 9 days 10hrs played.  However i also have 300 Fishing/Cooking/First Aid and 290 Engineering and like 285 Mining when i hit 60. 

I will speak from experience, Up until say High 40s its not to bad to be honest, however once you get into 50s the time to kill goes up alot.  I am talking anywhere from 30s to 90s per mob.  I would not recommend killing yourself trying to level as holy, but if you do, make sure you have some patience :)

Until you get Seal of wisdom leveling holy is slightly slower than ret because you lose some damage.

I used Seal of the crusader and fights only took about about 3-5 seconds longer. The bonus of using crusader is that once you get Seal of light, you can judge it for extra survivability while maximizing your mana retention. You do roughly normal damage at a 40% extra attack speed. Which remarkably similar to what you would do with SoC.

However, once you hit 34 I would just recommend completely switching to prot for reckoning as you can get 2-3 extra reckoning procs for every normal swing with a 3.8 speed weapon. Use Seal and Judgement of Light to just never die. Or use crusader to maximize damage.

1 hour ago, killerduki said:

Not true, you hear only trolls confusing everyone with raid and dungeon comparison as it is false statement , pick some good weapon , Int/Agi mixed Gear (both stats in 1 like deadmine finger) or in 1 word = hunter gear.

Use Blessing of Wisdom , SoC/JoC (depend on the weapon) or SoR/JoR , use Judges max rank on cd and crush these bones.

Don't bother with consecration and you will do crazy big dps.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Or just realize you will drink after every pull and contribute more total dps than other classes. Consecration is a fire and forget that does 48 base dps per target. If you pull 4-5 targets you will be doing 192- 240 dps while it damages the group. Plus you can do your normal thing in addition to it.

7 hours ago, Fedrickironfist said:

So i just finished leveling as Holy the entire way 1-60.  I managed to clock in at 9 days 10hrs played.  However i also have 300 Fishing/Cooking/First Aid and 290 Engineering and like 285 Mining when i hit 60. 

I will speak from experience, Up until say High 40s its not to bad to be honest, however once you get into 50s the time to kill goes up alot.  I am talking anywhere from 30s to 90s per mob.  I would not recommend killing yourself trying to level as holy, but if you do, make sure you have some patience :)

Was is easy for you to get groups for dungeons? When healing in a group, is there much of a difference in healing as holy than healing as ret with healing gear? Did your team members value that you were speced holy?

16 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Or just realize you will drink after every pull and contribute more total dps than other classes. Consecration is a fire and forget that does 48 base dps per target. If you pull 4-5 targets you will be doing 192- 240 dps while it damages the group. Plus you can do your normal thing in addition to it.

I am afraid the Owner Poster have said Leveling , not at level 60.

Consecration is the only thing causes people drink so much for doing low DPS.

BoW+JoW+SoC/JoC = good mana regen+good DPS and max ranks on cd.

While leveling you barely do 8-20 DPS per target using Consecration.

You do lot more DPS via SoC/JoC max rank on cd.

I've seen JoC doing 400-500 Crits on stunned targets by low level Paladin. (we talk about trash mobs in dungeons while leveling).

Even at level 60 , unless you have 3+ Targets , Consecration is still much lower than SoC/JoC.

/Kind regards Killerduki

16 hours ago, MajesticMouse said:

Was is easy for you to get groups for dungeons? When healing in a group, is there much of a difference in healing as holy than healing as ret with healing gear? Did your team members value that you were speced holy?

Everyone wants healers and tanks. I've healed every dungeon as prot up to level 45 before I stopped healing. Heck I healed for a group in Uldaman with a level 40 tank and me being 38 (mob's get up to 44-45 I think). It helps having a good group though and knowing when to use Seal of wisdom (difficult but useful for that extra regen especially when you judge it). Using holy light gives you that extra oomph to buy a couple swings. Healing level appropriate dungeons shouldn't be a problem until you get into the 50s as long as you have an appropriate healing set.

18 hours ago, MajesticMouse said:

Depend on the group you are with , if you are in group at your levels and dungeon is probably 1-2 lvl higher or equal to you , then pure Holy is better,  but when you get boost by geared or higher lvl's , then whatever , pick int gear and heal.

/Kind regards Killerduki

On 9/23/2017 at 2:45 AM, MajesticMouse said:

I leveled Ret and I had no issues getting groups for dungeons. Before like level 50, I don't recall ever being given a hard time about joining a group as dps. However, I did keep a set of healing gear on the side, and I would often join groups as a healer as well.  While leveling up, you won't really notice much of a difference between healing as Holy and as Ret. You won't really have much crit or +healing regardless, so the benefits from the Holy talents aren't very pronounced.  Honestly, even at level 60, being more than 20 points into Holy is somewhat overrated.

On 23/09/2017 at 1:18 AM, Fedrickironfist said:

Hey is it okay to have a link to the build you used and any other tips?