g2nightmare

Definitive Warlock Guide

Introduction

Hello, my name is Firra and I'm pretty much a new Warlock player. Don't let that discourage you from reading further. The aim of this post/thread is to provide a one-stop shop for all things Warlock; how to level, any useful macros and addons, the best gear to have, and any other miscellaneous things. I will try to fix any typos and add any suggestions provided by you, the community, in the comments. I've been doing a lot of research into Warlock and I want to provide a central source for my findings for everyone.

I want to give a huge shout out to Xashe (from Nostalrious) as I read and took a lot of inspiration from his/her guide. If it wasn't for him/her, I wouldn't have ported and added to his guide. Additionally, another shout out to Guybrush for all of his wonderful work on Warlock gear spreadsheets.

This guide will focus mainly on PvE, with some elements of PvP during your leveling grind.

Prerequisites

Addons

Below are some useful addons for Warlock and in general:

Leveling Guides

For leveling, I recommend following Joanna's guide, as it has really stood the test of time as being one of the best leveling routes. There's also an addon that helps leveling, called Vanilla Guide.

Macros

This is a Drain Soul macro; use this when you get a soul shard bag. It will delete a soul shard from the bottom right corner of your left most bag, which we will put as our soul shard bag. Use this macro as a finishing blow to every mob, as Improved Drain Soul will give you a 10 second buff to gain some mana back. 

/cast Drain Soul(Rank X)
/run local a=GetBagName(4); if a=="Core Felcloth Bag" or a=="Felcloth Bag" or a=="Soul Pouch" or a=="Box of Souls" or a=="Small Soul Pouch" then PickupContainerItem(4,GetContainerNumSlots(4)) DeleteCursorItem() else end

Replace X in the macro with your current version of Drain Soul.

This is a Shoot (wand) macro; You can bind it to a mouse key and spam it without turning off your attack. Casters are at a disadvantage because right clicking will default to using your staff instead of a wand.

/script if not IsAutoRepeatAction(X) then CastSpellByName("Shoot"); end

Replace X with the position of the skill on your hotbar (not to be confused with your keybinding).

Chapter 1: Leveling

Congratulations! You have chosen to play Warlock, now it's time to start leveling. Just grind your quests until level 10, and do your thing. Nothing special here. When you hit level 10, drop what you're doing and immediately and go complete the first checkpoint, listed in the Checkpoints section.

Killing Mobs

Ideally, you want to send your Voidwalker in to start tanking a mob, DoT it up, and when it's almost dead, send your Voidwalker in for a different mob. Rinse and repeat. Your goal is to kill kill kill without stopping. Sometimes, you have to kill 2 mobs at once. If this happens, one mob should be DoT'd and tanked with your Voidwalker. The other should be DoT'd and be feared. The moral of the story is to just DoT everything. Be careful using any lifegain including Siphon Life and Drain Life when you are attempting to kill 2 or more mobs, as you will draw healing aggro. If the kill is quick (< 20 seconds), just use DoT with Siphon Life and Corruption and use your wand. If it's a longer kill (> 20 seconds), DoT with Siphon Life, Curse of Agony, and Corruption. Only reapply Corruption if needed, for mana efficiency.

Checkpoints (>> DO THESE <<)

Level 5 - Select Professions: See the Professions chapter.
Level 10 - Quest: The Binding - This grants you the voidwalker, which will be your best friend until level 60. If you do not have the voidwalker at level 10, you are doing it wrong!
Level 31 - Quest: In Search of Menara Voidrender - This quest gives you the Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe that can last you well into your 40s.
Level 35 - Quest: Knowledge of the Orb of Orahil - Make sure you take the The Completed Orb of Dar'Orahil route and grab the orb! This will last you quite a long while, and the active use is decent.
Level 40 - Quest: Summon Felsteed - Free mount.
Level 40 - Craft: Shadoweave Set - Craft / buy these items from level 37 to 44. This set is very useful and will last you into your 50s.
Level 50 - Quest: An Imp's Request - Take the Abyss Shard! It's forever useful. 

Skills
It's important to save your money as you are leveling; Warlocks don't need to purchase a mount, but we can spend our money on gear, so it's a very good idea to start saving now. 

Only purchase the following skills:
  • Corruption
  • Curse of Agony
  • Siphon Life
  • Life Tap
  • Shadow Bolt
  • Demon Armor
  • Soulstone
  • Healthstone

Additionally, only purchase the Voidwalker books. You can buy the upgrades to the other demons later when you turn level 60. It's also cheaper to do it this way too, as buying a level 6 skill book will automatically learn levels 1-5.

Talent Points

Levels 10-16: Affliction
10 - 11: Improved Corruption (2/5)
12 - 14: Suppression (3/5)
15 - 16: Improved Drain Soul (2/2)

Levels 17 - 24: Demonology
17 - 18: Improved Healthstone (2/2)
19 - 21: Demonic Embrace (3/5)
22 - 24: Improved Voidwalker (3/3)

Levels 25 - 47: Affliction
25 - 27: Improved Corruption (5/5)
28 - 30: Improved Curse of Agony (3/3)
31 - 32: Improved Lifetap (2/2)
33 - 34: Nightfall (2/2)
35 - 36: Grim Reach (2/2)
37: Suppression (4/5)
38: Siphon Life (1/1)
39: Suppression (5/5)
40: Amplify Curse (1/1)
41 - 42: Fel Concentration (2/5)
43 - 47: Shadow Mastery (5/5)

Levels 48 - 60: Demonology
48 - 49: Demonic Embrace (5/5)
50: Fel Domination (1/1)
51 - 54: Fel Intellect (4/5)
55 - 59: Unholy Power (5/5)
60: Demonic Sacrifice (1/1)

Level 60 Finished Build
When it's all said and done, your build will look like this.

Chapter 2: Professions

If you PvP and don't plan to do any raiding, take Engineering. If you PvE, take Tailoring. Those are the only rules. Your 2nd profession is really up to you. As for your second profession, here are some choices / highlights:

Gathering

• Herbalism - Easy to do while leveling. See node, gather node. Good source of income.
  • Mining - Easy to do while leveling. See node, gather node. Good source of income.
  • Skinning - Not worth doing on a Warlock, unless you are supporting another character.

Production

• Alchemy - A good source of income if you can land a few rarer recipes. Also takes a buisiness-like mind and mentality to watch the auction house and know when to buy and sell. Also gains access to transmutes. 
  • Blacksmithing - Not worth doing on a Warlock, unless you are supporting another character.
  • Enchanting - Unless you land a very rare recipe (+30 spellpower / +55 healing), you are only going to be making money off tips.
  • Leatherworking - Not worth doing on a Warlock, unless you are supporting another character.

The reason we take tailoring for PvE is for the Robe of the Void, which is one of the best pre-raid chest pieces and can last you deep into the raid progression. Additionally, the Bloodvine items (Vest | Legs | Boots) from Zul'Gurub will be Best in Slot until Naxxramas. If you are PvPing, Engineering is useful for items such as Bloodvine Goggles.

Chapter 3: Gear

In general, prioritize your gear by Shadow Damage -> Spell Crit Chance -> Spell Hit Chance -> Intellect. Below are spreadsheets for the best Warlock gear, broken down by patch. Since Elysium will be released in this way, you can change spreadsheets as the patches get released. To use the spreadsheet, download a local copy. You can update your gear, buffs, and talents to see how much overall DPS you can provide.

Patch 1.2: Mysteries of MaraudonPatch 1.2 Spreadsheet

Patch 1.3: Dire MaulPatch 1.3 Spreadsheet

Patch 1.5: BattlegroundsPatch 1.5 Spreadsheet

Patch 1.6: Blackwing LairPatch 1.6 Spreadsheet

Patch 1.7: Zul'GurubPatch 1.7 Spreadsheet

Patch 1.8: Dragons of NightmareNo gear upgrades.

Patch 1.9: AQ20 / AQ40TBD

Patch 1.10: Storms of Azeroth - TBD

Patch 1.11: NaxxramasTBD

Chapter 4: Enchants and Consumables

Don't be cheap! Make sure you get the proper enchants on your gear, to ensure progression and maximising DPS output.

Enchants:
Consumables:

Chapter 5: Raid Talents

You should respec when you are ready to do dungeons and raids full time. You can keep the same leveling talents if you need to continue grinding money, reputation, or gear.

Choose one of the two options, whatever suits your preference:

• SM / Ruin - DoT everything with Corruption and spam Shadow Bolts. 
    Pros: Siphon Life allows for you to survive outside of dungeons and raids.
    Cons: Lower overall DPS than DS / Ruin
    5/5 Shadow Mastery

• DS / Ruin - Sacrifice your succubus and spam Shadow Bolts.
    Pros: Higher overall DPS than SM / Ruin, Can use Curse of Shadows instead of Curse of Agony
    Cons: Glass cannon
    5/5 Improved Corruption OR 5/5 Suppression
Edited by g2nightmare

I can't edit this post anymore until an admin allows for editing.

You can only edit a post until somebody else comments on it.  You locked yourself out with the "reserves".

You can only edit a post until somebody else comments on it.  You locked yourself out with the "reserves".

I don't know if that's true. I had an Admin change the settings so that users can edit their posts. It was locked almost exactly 30 minutes from post creation. I had added some reserves, and then I was able to edit after that.

But regardless, I did not think about that.

Joana's leveling guide is horde only.

Also just some thoughts...

If you're leveling efficiently, then you shouldn't be fighting mobs 3+ levels above you, and thus 3/5 Suppression is all that is needed.  5/5 is for end-game raiding.  Spend those 2 points elsewhere.

Improved CoA is a waste of 3 talent points in virtually every build unless you're somehow the lucky warlock that gets to use it in raiding once 16 debuff slots are available, and even then it's iffy.  3 points for 6% damage on a DoT that requires it's full duration (24sec) for that benefit to even matter is really silly while leveling considering this is the last DoT you should ever be using.  If you use it situationally, just amplify it.  Or just use a different curse.

Outside of that your spec is the typical PvE cookie cutter.  It works, it's proven...but anyone rolling on the fresh PvP server should consider a few other talents such as Fel Concentration, Curse of Exhaustion and/or Master Summoner.  In my humble opinion these are really good talents that increase your chances to survive without really giving up any damage.  Basically every zone from level 25 and up is going to be a PvP candy land or nightmare depending on how you look at it.

Edited by AgentMulder

Just get Vanillaguide, in-game step-by-step guide that works for both sides, it features Joana and Brian Kopp guides.

If you're leveling efficiently, then you shouldn't be fighting mobs 3+ levels above you, and thus 3/5 Suppression is all that is needed.  5/5 is for end-game raiding.  Spend those 2 points elsewhere.

Improved CoA is a waste of 3 talent points in virtually every build unless you're somehow the lucky warlock that gets to use it in raiding once 16 debuff slots are available, and even then it's iffy.  3 points for 6% damage on a DoT that requires it's full duration (24sec) for that benefit to even matter is really silly while leveling considering this is the last DoT you should ever be using.  If you use it situationally, just amplify it.  Or just use a different curse.

Outside of that your spec is the typical PvE cookie cutter.  It works, it's proven...but anyone rolling on the fresh PvP server should consider a few other talents such as Fel Concentration, Curse of Exhaustion and/or Master Summoner.  In my humble opinion these are really good talents that increase your chances to survive without really giving up any damage.  Basically every zone from level 25 and up is going to be a PvP candy land or nightmare depending on how you look at it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm aware that Joana's guide is horde only. If you have an alliance guide, feel free to post it here. I did try to make it clear that a Warlock can take on 2 mobs at once, but can take 3 mobs on at once if you want to (it's not recommended).

Improved CoA is highlighted in the leveling build, not the raiding build. This leveling build is just in general, a balanced build for PvP combat and PvE grinding.

Just get Vanillaguide, in-game step-by-step guide that works for both sides, it features Joana and Brian Kopp guides.

I'll add this to the Addons section.

What statistics should give priority, critic or intellect or shadow damage?

AFAIK, Shadow Damage by far. Then you'll want to get Spell Crit Chance and Spell Hit Chance. Intellect is a bonus -- as 60 intellect = 1% crit chance.

Killing Mobs

In general, you can kill 2 mobs at once. One mob should be DoT'd and tanked with your Voidwalker. The other should be DoT'd and be feared. The moral of the story is to just DoT everything. Be careful using any lifegain including Siphon Life and Drain Life when you are attempting to kill 2 or more mobs, as you will draw healing aggro. If the kill is quick (< 20 seconds), just use DoT with Siphon Life and Corruption and use your wand. If it's a longer kill (> 20 seconds), DoT with Siphon Life, Curse of Agony, and Corruption. Only reapply Corruption if needed, for mana efficiency.

Skills
It's important to save your money as you are leveling; Warlocks don't need to purchase a mount, but we can spend our money on gear, so it's a very good idea to start saving now. 

Only purchase the following skills:
  • Corruption
  • Curse of Agony
  • Siphon Life
  • Life Tap
  • Shadow Bolt
  • Demon Armor
  • Soulstone
  • Healthstone

You don't want to rely on fear to kill mobs, it's a waste of mana and slows down your kill per hour by quite a lot.

What you want to do is send in void, dot one mob up, let him get two or three taunts in, depending on level and then send him to the next mob, dot him up and drain soul the first mob, then as the first mob dies, you pull the next one with void, dot it up and drain soul the second one.

When the voidwalker needs healing and you don't have health to spare to heal him with, you can send him in on a mob then start the healing spell he has, it doesn't get interrupted by movement on Nostalrius and doesn't get interrupted by combat or getting hit, so that's a massive threat boost for free while he saves his own mana on taunts.

You want to gear spirit / stamina >>>> rest while leveling. I can't stress this enough, it'll give you the ability to kill much higher level players than you, while also being MUCH faster and more efficient during leveling, you shouldn't have to sit down to drink or eat ever with this build, just kill kill kill.

Also, Joana's guide is a waste of time, there's a lot of scenarios where grinding packs of mobs is faster than leveling, if you can get roughly 120 kills per hour, for example 23-29, 47-52, the fastest by far leveling is to farm mobs. There's a cave in Wetlands with raptors that I strongly recommend, same with Nagas in Aszhara for the 47-52. Sure, it's boring, but after doing Joana's guide for 12 years it's also really really boring, at least this way you'll generally be left alone and not get ganked.

You definitely want Searing Pain as well, it's a life saver in so many scenarios, I'd recommend buying everything, as you need them at 60 anyway and having more experience with them is worth a lot. Except firestone. Also there's very little value in gold while leveling, as mount is free and you'll spend it all on spells at 60 anyway since you need them.

Also, a minor note, you probably want to credit the same people Botmaster credits in his guide, it's considered polite.

Edited by Numi

You seem to really know you're stuff, being that I'll be a first time Warlock and vanilla player I'd really like more of your insight. Do you base your build/leveling off a guide or what?

Have you actually used this addon? How exactly does it work. I'm unable to look it up (gaming related) while at work. 

There's some really useful information in this thread, both from the OP and the replies. Will definitely be bookmarking this for future use ;). Thanks alot!

Thanks for your reply. Replies like yours really help the discussion. I've typed my responses under your quotes with >> before my response.

You don't want to rely on fear to kill mobs, it's a waste of mana and slows down your kill per hour by quite a lot.

What you want to do is send in void, dot one mob up, let him get two or three taunts in, depending on level and then send him to the next mob, dot him up and drain soul the first mob, then as the first mob dies, you pull the next one with void, dot it up and drain soul the second one.

>> You are definitely correct. I was trying to mention that you CAN do two mobs at once this way. You can keep chain pulling mobs, as they are almost dead and will die to DoTs. Sometimes you have to take two mobs at the same time, which is what I was trying to address -- this will be especially true with a new server with increased spawn rates of mobs.

When the voidwalker needs healing and you don't have health to spare to heal him with, you can send him in on a mob then start the healing spell he has, it doesn't get interrupted by movement on Nostalrius and doesn't get interrupted by combat or getting hit, so that's a massive threat boost for free while he saves his own mana on taunts.

>> IIRC it would interrupt his healing on true vanilla, but we will have to see. If not, this is pretty nice to know.

You want to gear spirit / stamina >>>> rest while leveling. I can't stress this enough, it'll give you the ability to kill much higher level players than you, while also being MUCH faster and more efficient during leveling, you shouldn't have to sit down to drink or eat ever with this build, just kill kill kill.

>> Agreed. Did my post mention NOT to do this? I should probably put a note for leveling to get stamina / spirit wherever possible.

Also, Joana's guide is a waste of time, there's a lot of scenarios where grinding packs of mobs is faster than leveling, if you can get roughly 120 kills per hour, for example 23-29, 47-52, the fastest by far leveling is to farm mobs. There's a cave in Wetlands with raptors that I strongly recommend, same with Nagas in Aszhara for the 47-52. Sure, it's boring, but after doing Joana's guide for 12 years it's also really really boring, at least this way you'll generally be left alone and not get ganked.

>> I disagree. Joanas guide has always treated me well in leveling. Additionally, quests grant the most XP. You have to choose the right ones, which Joana's guide, in general, chooses quests that grant the most XP.

You definitely want Searing Pain as well, it's a life saver in so many scenarios, I'd recommend buying everything, as you need them at 60 anyway and having more experience with them is worth a lot. Except firestone. Also there's very little value in gold while leveling, as mount is free and you'll spend it all on spells at 60 anyway since you need them.

>> Searing Pain I found to be a waste of money unless you really need it due to PvP.

Also, a minor note, you probably want to credit the same people Botmaster credits in his guide, it's considered polite.

>> I did! I gave a huge shoutout to Xashe (Botmaster) in the introduction.

edit: oh I see. I didn't read right. :P

Edited by g2nightmare

You seem to really know you're stuff, being that I'll be a first time Warlock and vanilla player I'd really like more of your insight. Do you base your build/leveling off a guide or what?

Have you actually used this addon? How exactly does it work. I'm unable to look it up (gaming related) while at work. 

The addon just tells you step by step what quests you need to pick up, and were you need to go(cords). It also triggers a arrow pointing in the direction you need to go if you click the text in your addon (not always). There was some quest not yet added into the game in it (two quests i think) but it got me all the way to 60.

Edited by meridaw

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm aware that Joana's guide is horde only. If you have an alliance guide, feel free to post it here.

I agree with others, VanillaGuide (the addon) is pretty sweet, and will cover both factions.  If you're a new player and you want to keep your addon memory usage as low as possible, or if you're someone that prefers a pen/paper method (like me)...this archive site is what I've used: http://www.wow-pro.com/wowpro_archive

From there you can find guides for specific races 1-12, and then those lead into more general guides, 20-30, 30-40 etc etc

I've used Maw's human guides to 20, and then used Boston's Alliance guides 20-60 and they're fantastic.

As a caster, your enemies will have a certain chance to resist your spells.  A resisted spell still costs you its full mana, but it doesn't hit the mob...so you want to avoid that as much as possible.  If you're fighting mobs that are higher level than you then the chance for them to resist goes up.  Likewise, if you're fighting mobs that are lower level than you then the chance for them to resist goes down.  Suppression reduces this resist chance across the board.

In PvP, the hit cap is 5%, so taking 3/5 Suppression will cover you completely in PvP assuming you're engaging with players that are equal level to you.  A good example of this is pretty much every Battleground where typically...people wait until the last level or two of each bracket to participate.  So 18/19, 28/29, etc.  In those brackets you cannot face opponents higher than 19, 29, 39..so anything beyond 3 points in Suppression is literally wasted.

While you're just out questing or grinding mobs...3/5 Suppression is also sufficient enough assuming you're questing and/or grinding mobs that are green/yellow to you.  You only really need more points in Suppression if you're somehow fighting orange mobs (3+ levels higher than you).

That being said...there's nothing wrong with going 5/5 Suppression if you really think you need the safety net, but also know that it only affects your Affliction spells.  So Immolate, Shadowbolt (neither of which you really use while questing anyway) or your #1 best friend ever...WANDS...are not affected at all.  It'll help you in world PvP against higher level players, but regardless...don't expect to beat someone a few levels above you unless they're really bad or AFK.

Regarding Curse of Agony..it's a very long DoT (24sec).  It ticks every 3 secs (8 ticks total), but the ticks do low damage at first and then the damage increases on the last couple ticks, so generally...by the time you get to that point (18 seconds into the fight) the mob is dead, so you don't really get those harder hitting ticks.  Your wands will outdamage CoA.  This is why I personally never spec into Improved CoA because 3 talent points for 2/4/6% damage increase is awful.  If it was 5/10/15% damage increase...well now we have something, but it's not.

I generally put those 3 points (along with the 2 extra that you aren't putting into Suppression) and take 5/5 Fel Concentration.  This pretty much allows you to "drain tank" with very little interruption.  It's vastly useful in those 'oh фекал' moments and fantastic in PvP.  Remember you can still cast CoA, nothing is stopping you...it'll just do it's regular damage but that's in addition to you being able to drain tank.

None of this is required, as you can spec how you want.  These are just my thoughts and something I think folks should consider if they're going to roll on the fresh realm with 5000+ players (yikes).  The leveling build shown by the OP is a good raw PvE build and would work fine, I just lean a little more survival and less raw damage.

well, well, well.... whats going on over here? 

It's you! Your post on Nost forums made it seem like you weren't coming back. I asked in your thread comments but didn't hear back -- so I ported most of your information here. If you want the post source, I can take this post down, or we can leave it.

I see a lot of people praising the spirit build, but I haven't heard a single warlock praising it who actually played during Nost launch. The build is built for grinding, you can't grind on a 8k+ server launch. There are hundreds who have the same idea in mind and they'll hog all the spots. Also you'll get raped in world PvP if all your gear is stamina and spirit and with few survivability talents. It was bad enough on Nost launch and that was only 1000-2000 players, imagine 7000-8000.
Works great on a PvE realm though.

It also seems really boring because you can't do anything other than power grinding mobs, but I guess that's a personal preference.

It's you! Your post on Nost forums made it seem like you weren't coming back. I asked in your thread comments but didn't hear back -- so I ported most of your information here. If you want the post source, I can take this post down, or we can leave it.

ha! its more than ok. you can pick up the torch and run with it. im currently playing on another private server and am still on the fence if i want to come back to 1.12 again. 

do me proud.

I see a lot of people praising the spirit build, but I haven't heard a single warlock praising it who actually played during Nost launch. The build is built for grinding, you can't grind on a 8k+ server launch. There are hundreds who have the same idea in mind and they'll hog all the spots. Also you'll get raped in world PvP if all your gear is stamina and spirit and with few survivability talents. It was bad enough on Nost launch and that was only 1000-2000 players, imagine 7000-8000.

Works great on a PvE realm though.

It also seems really boring because you can't do anything other than power grinding mobs, but I guess that's a personal preference.

you sir, are way off base. with the way imp drain soul works on 1.12 you want to have spirit for a greater return on mana after killing a mob. no one is saying "ZOMG! STAX SPIRIT OF GTFO!!" but dont avoid gear just because it has spirit on it, and weight it the same you weigh int. and 'power grinding' mobs is one of the more effective ways for a lock to level, same as aoe grinding with mages. but you are not locked into that. 

I agree with others, VanillaGuide (the addon) is pretty sweet, and will cover both factions.  If you're a new player and you want to keep your addon memory usage as low as possible, or if you're someone that prefers a pen/paper method (like me)...this archive site is what I've used: http://www.wow-pro.com/wowpro_archive

From there you can find guides for specific races 1-12, and then those lead into more general guides, 20-30, 30-40 etc etc

I've used Maw's human guides to 20, and then used Boston's Alliance guides 20-60 and they're fantastic.

As a caster, your enemies will have a certain chance to resist your spells.  A resisted spell still costs you its full mana, but it doesn't hit the mob...so you want to avoid that as much as possible.  If you're fighting mobs that are higher level than you then the chance for them to resist goes up.  Likewise, if you're fighting mobs that are lower level than you then the chance for them to resist goes down.  Suppression reduces this resist chance across the board.

In PvP, the hit cap is 5%, so taking 3/5 Suppression will cover you completely in PvP assuming you're engaging with players that are equal level to you.  A good example of this is pretty much every Battleground where typically...people wait until the last level or two of each bracket to participate.  So 18/19, 28/29, etc.  In those brackets you cannot face opponents higher than 19, 29, 39..so anything beyond 3 points in Suppression is literally wasted.

While you're just out questing or grinding mobs...3/5 Suppression is also sufficient enough assuming you're questing and/or grinding mobs that are green/yellow to you.  You only really need more points in Suppression if you're somehow fighting orange mobs (3+ levels higher than you).

That being said...there's nothing wrong with going 5/5 Suppression if you really think you need the safety net, but also know that it only affects your Affliction spells.  So Immolate, Shadowbolt (neither of which you really use while questing anyway) or your #1 best friend ever...WANDS...are not affected at all.  It'll help you in world PvP against higher level players, but regardless...don't expect to beat someone a few levels above you unless they're really bad or AFK.

Regarding Curse of Agony..it's a very long DoT (24sec).  It ticks every 3 secs (8 ticks total), but the ticks do low damage at first and then the damage increases on the last couple ticks, so generally...by the time you get to that point (18 seconds into the fight) the mob is dead, so you don't really get those harder hitting ticks.  Your wands will outdamage CoA.  This is why I personally never spec into Improved CoA because 3 talent points for 2/4/6% damage increase is awful.  If it was 5/10/15% damage increase...well now we have something, but it's not.

I generally put those 3 points (along with the 2 extra that you aren't putting into Suppression) and take 5/5 Fel Concentration.  This pretty much allows you to "drain tank" with very little interruption.  It's vastly useful in those 'oh фекал' moments and fantastic in PvP.  Remember you can still cast CoA, nothing is stopping you...it'll just do it's regular damage but that's in addition to you being able to drain tank.

None of this is required, as you can spec how you want.  These are just my thoughts and something I think folks should consider if they're going to roll on the fresh realm with 5000+ players (yikes).  The leveling build shown by the OP is a good raw PvE build and would work fine, I just lean a little more survival and less raw damage.

Sorry for the delay, could you ELI5 drain tanking?