Swamphell

Off spec tanking at 60

Hey guys, I'm back with another some what ignorant question. I finally hit 60 and I can see it being a huge pain in the ass to respect as a warrior anytime you want to do anything, so what my question is; besides raiding is it a viable option to tank 5 or 10-mans as an off  spec tank, like with fury or arms talents? I really don't want to have to rack up the respec fee that fast if I don't have to.

You can tank as fury or arms just fine, but you'll be noticeably harder to heal and have noticeably worse threat.

Bring along a mage or rogue or whatever class fits the instance for some CC and you'll be fine.

Edited by gotmilk0112

Honestly there is no need to respec for the 5-man or 10-man, you can easily tank them with your Fury or Arms spec if that's what you want to do. Though, bring a CC class to the dungeons so that you won't be fighting too many at once. Your threat will be somewhat worse since you don't have Defiance 5/5, so you may have to use Taunt a bit more, which is a bummer since you also don't have the Improved Taunt 2/2. But it's infinitely doable.

31/5/15

it was used by many tanks in early vanilla. (Shield slam didn't exist.)

still works fine

Edited by Jeetee

I tanked all as fury on 60 with green gear,  , all cool and tanking ubrs as fury ist easy aswell.

Im atm mt in our guild and have to say that i wouldnt get more incoming dmg or healing in 60 instances , and that i get more threat as prot is a lie!

I get way less dmg because of my way better gear , so i have way less rage to deal with to build up threat. I never use thunderclap or demo shout for more incoming dmg .

As fury its way easier with flurry to build up fast threat.

With MS pvp build its not that easy to tank like fury .

2 hours ago, Vollfos said:

I tanked all as fury on 60 with green gear,  , all cool and tanking ubrs as fury ist easy aswell.

Im atm mt in our guild and have to say that i wouldnt get more incoming dmg or healing in 60 instances , and that i get more threat as prot is a lie!

I get way less dmg because of my way better gear , so i have way less rage to deal with to build up threat. I never use thunderclap or demo shout for more incoming dmg .

Au contraire, you can build threat on at least trash packs even easier as arms spec.

Charge (2h equipped) > SS > Zerk stance, Bloodrage > Whirlwind > Go sword/board and tank as usual

When possible this is very potent in 5-mans. Small reservation for your own/healers gear, might sometimes be difficult if its too bad.

If you're fury specced you can just tank like you would as prot but without shield slam. It's more than viable for main tanking all 5-mans and off tanking in raids.

4 hours ago, Vollfos said:

Pick up some TPS items.

My 5 man set has 107 def, 5/8 T2-set bonus, 7% hit, 19.25% crit.

i think the main thing , to tank as Warrior 60instances isnt the specc or the gear , its just how confident your awareness and personal handling with the controll of mobpacks and your team ( using focus, cc, marking and the handling how the healer handle the incoming dmg) 

talents and gear is just the way how to make the instances easier/faster

agreed all lvl 60 instances and ubrs should be doable as fury tank. however when tanking against t2+ equipped rogues/warriors or warlocks expect to not keep up with their immense threat per second output. it usually helps to mark skull and put one sunder armor up and work on the rest of the pack. on boss fights expect to lose aggro after a few seconds. always hovering with one finger above your taunt key.

rage generation is just not the same as it was on nostalrius back then. when tanking with a raid equipped healer consider swapping out defense gear for threat per second items. tanking against guildmates is usually the hardest thing, whereas tanking for random groups is more relaxed. the usual 17/34 fury dps build works pretty good for tanking, prime dps and pvp. you might consider swapping one odd talent point from improved battleshout into piercing howl (very good for pvp and also for keeping together trash packs while tanking).

also consider getting a good damage reflect set and the apropriate use of threat reducing buffs.

Thanks everyone for the input, it's been helpful. So far I have tanked LRBS and scholo and haven't really had any major issues. I know strath and DM are gonna be a little more difficult but I'm gonna probably try those out tonight.

Remember you don't need to be Defcapped for 5-Mans.

So leave that juicy Lionsheart on, Slots where you gain such a big Advantage should be filled with appropriate Items (Lionsheart, Onslaught, DFT, Chromatic Boots, (Might instead of Wrath Gauntlets in case you didnt know) stuff like that (debatable)).

Edited by Alrik

7 hours ago, Swamphell said:

Thanks everyone for the input, it's been helpful. So far I have tanked LRBS and scholo and haven't really had any major issues. I know strath and DM are gonna be a little more difficult but I'm gonna probably try those out tonight.

I would actually argue that LBRS and Scholo is harder than Strat and DM. You'll be fine.

"Yolomance" will test your AoE tanking abilities for sure.

DM West will test your health pool, DM north will test your hardiness on the last boss.

Aim for 5-6 +hit% gear if you can.

1 from bow, 2 from rings, 2 from Lionheart helm all obtainable pre-raid and will help your group greatly with you can effectively and reliably be apart shield bashing cast w/o missing.  Your threat will be much higher as well.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, Vollfos said:

Maybe for drunk farm content, but not for raid progression.